• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seanc

Jan 4, 2011
    ALL,

I want to consult the gun guru's here on a purchaser's dilemma.

Here is the set up: My lady friend is looking to purchase for a handgun for home/self defense. She thinks carrying is out of the question but I know that she will once she buys. She's a regular at the gun range (even before we met, WIN!) and she's good shooter. She's very familiar with both the Springfield XDM and the Glock 19 but she is having trouble deciding which one to buy. I work in law enforcement and obviously love my Glock but she was swooped a little bit by the Springfield. Any and all thoughts, comments, concerns, and feedback is appreciated.

(Yes I have tried to talk her into higher calibers)

Thank you all,

SC

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    have her shoot both and see what she shoots the best with. The xdm may compare better to a 17 since the xdm is much bigger(even though the grip has a shorter feeling length of pull). Both are fantastic and it really just comes down to ergonomics and personal preference. 20 rnds of 9mm is pretty cool though....

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Which pistol does she want? Which does she shoot more accurate? Which is more comfortable for her to hold? Which is in here budget?

If she can answer these questions then she'll know which to get.

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    The XDM 3.8 in 9mm may very well be my next purchase.....19 rds in a compact package does sound good.

I Don't want to send the thread off on a tangent, but I do have 2 questions. Because this is a new offering...1) Is the XDM 3.8 on the MD approved list? 2) If it is on the approved list, is it available at present?

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Agree. Have here shoot both pistols.
    There is a slight diffefrence in how each aims.
    Some people like the cant of the Glock. Some not. Some it makes no difference between the two.
    Price between the two will probally be very close and most likely not the deal breaker.
    Congrad's on a cool girl freind:)

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    I tried out both before I decided to buy and went with the Springfield XDM .40 4.5 barrel and love it. One of the first things I did was switch out the grip from a medium to a small and was amazed at how much that alone improved my accuracy with it. Overall though it comes down to personal preference. When in doubt, buy both.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I shot the Gen3 Glock and went with the XDm. Love it. I've since shot the Gen4 Glock it is a very nice gun...

...but what does she like?

Edit: Using the small grip on the Gen4 was the difference.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The XDM 3.8 in 9mm may very well be my next purchase.....19 rds in a compact package does sound good.

I Don't want to send the thread off on a tangent, but I do have 2 questions. Because this is a new offering...1) Is the XDM 3.8 on the MD approved list? 2) If it is on the approved list, is it available at present?

ummmm...how's it compact? the grip is the same size as the 4.5" and the grip is the thing that prints when you carry. On the 3.8, you lost velocity and sight radius gaining no ability to conceal it. It was an offering to keep the public interested until they could retool to make the xdm compact with absolutely no advantages that i can see over a standard 4.5". Now if you'd actually want such a monstrosity as the 3.8, they're on the approved list and basspro currently has a few you can fondle. Now if you'd prefer actual concealability, the xdm compact seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    ALL,

I want to consult the gun guru's here on a purchaser's dilemma.

Here is the set up: My lady friend is looking to purchase for a handgun for home/self defense. She thinks carrying is out of the question but I know that she will once she buys. She's a regular at the gun range (even before we met, WIN!) and she's good shooter. She's very familiar with both the Springfield XDM and the Glock 19 but she is having trouble deciding which one to buy. I work in law enforcement and obviously love my Glock but she was swooped a little bit by the Springfield. Any and all thoughts, comments, concerns, and feedback is appreciated.

(Yes I have tried to talk her into higher calibers)

Thank you all,

SC

Have her try a S&W M&P

Goldengoose

Oct 15, 2009
    Fawn Grove, Pennnsylvania
    The XDM is a better choice for the female shooter, it will feel better to her grip than the Glock. At this point don't worry about conceal-ability, let her enjoy shooting the XDM as much as she wants to and be supportive in that. I have learned that women shooters like to be independent in the choice of firearm that they may want especially if they already know how to shoot. You can always give pros and cons but don't pick the firearm for her let her make the final decision. In the gun business I can count on one hand how many females actually liked the firearm their significant other choose for them.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Have her try a S&W M&P

2011-05-25 19.42.19.jpg

2011-05-25 19.43.40.jpg
    ....or one of these. Jenni sure likes shootin this one.

Last edited:

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I have an XDm 9 in 4.5. It's pretty bad ass and of the two I would recommend it over the Glock. Of course, I've never owned a glock so I'm a bit biased.

If I had to make a recommendation for home defense for your lady friend, I'd recommend a revolver. After taking my wife shooting the first time, she had a bunch of questions on what safety features it had and what she would need to do in a home defense situation with the XDm. After showing her again how to insert the mag, grip the gun to rack the slide and chamber a round, she made a comment about how complicated it was.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I think the XD would be a better choice for small hands. i personally don't care for it. For me, the slide feels too big for the gun and the barrel feels like it sits too high above my grip. Glocks have a lower bore axis, at least feels like it. My wife wil shoot my Glock 17, but comments about the grip feeling too big.
    XD's, M&P's and SR9's feel smaller in the hand than Glock's. In my opinion.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I was in the same boat with the wife. She liked the xd better than the glock. It cost me a ton of money in mags. I use the cheap flock mags st the range but now had to buy 8 mags for her at about $30 each.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    We've gone through a few guns before my wife settled on a Glock 19. Her reasons, lighter and easier to rack. And I'll add another one after she was looking at others with side safetys etc and that is the simplicity to shoot it when stressed. With the Glock, we keep a full magazine in it and all she has to do is pick it up and rack it, and then good to go. Others with side safety's seemed to make it more complicated in a stressed situation for her.

TheRedDragon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 6, 2010
    Glocks seem to be a gun to me at least that either fits or it doesn't, theres no in between. Full size glocks feel great in my hand, the compact/subcompact models not so much.
    XD/XDM's on the other hand feel comfortable no matter what model i hold.
    BUT, i would still trust my life to a glock over an xd/xdm in any model.
    i know that probably doesnt help too much, but its all i got....

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I agree with everyone saying she just needs to shoot both. I had my mind set on an XD, but after shooting both I went with the Glock. It just pointed more naturally for me. I don't think she can go wrong either way though.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I personally have a XDm. I wanted to like Glocks, but they just didn't feel right in my hand and when shooting it felt like I had to force them to stay on target. The XDm points and shoots perfectly for me. I still recommend Glock to anyone looking to by a handgun, being the proven platform it is. It is just not meant to be for me.

It all comes down to what gun feels and shoots right for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom