• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Heck of a squib load. It unscrewed the barrel and turned it around!

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

It it sounds like a mouse fart & recoils like a mouse fart...

AND no new hole appears in your paper target...

STOP RIGHT NOW..!

There is a good chance that something is wrong & I suspect it is a squib load...

A squib load is a load with little or NO gun powder...

The bullet travels part way down the barrel powered mainly by the primer & it "runs out of gas"...

IF you fire a second bullet now, the 2nd will run into the first & the barrel will get badly damaged...

To check for a squib load, I keep a 3/16 diameter x 10" long brass rod in my range bag to check the bore for obstructions. A wooden dowel will do...

Step 1. Empty all the unfired rounds from the gun...

Step 2. Leave the cylinder open (or magazine removed)...

Step 3. Insert the brass rod into the front of the barrel...

Step 4. IF the brass rod goes all the way into the cylinder area (or magazine area) the pistol does NOT have a squib...

Step 5. If the brass rod stops suddenly in the barrel, you have a squib...

Step 6. Using the brass rod, PUSH, tap or drive the squib back towards the firing pin...

Step 7. Inspect the barrel, IF the barrel just had 1 bullet head in it & if it's now empty & undamaged it is most likely OK to shoot again...

Step 8. If there are 2 bullets back to back, you will need to take the gun to a Gun-Smith & it will most likely need a new barrel...

Hope this helps somebody..!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There is more than one problem, but two that count the most:

1) A squib is kinda like falling off a 10 story building. Neither the squib or the free fall are major issues by themselves.

2) The bigger issue with the squib is the shot taken after it. That's kinda like the sudden change of direction at the end of that free fall.

Both #2 issues are avoidable by fixing problem #1.

:innocent0

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No problem.
    A little Flitz and a paper towel - wipe with soft cotton rag.

That'll buff right out.

ETA: Something very strange about that revolver. (After a second look.)
    The barel is a rusted POS and the revolver retains most of it's bluing.
    :shrug:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    What I find amusing is when I was in Basic back in the 90's our drill sgts told us, "if it sounds weak or feels weak let some at the range know because of the mechanics of the m-16 we have to get EOD involved." To this day it makes absolutely no sense even with 2 bullets the rifling will let gas escape over a short period of time.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    What I find amusing is when I was in Basic back in the 90's our drill sgts told us, "if it sounds weak or feels weak let some at the range know because of the mechanics of the m-16 we have to get EOD involved." To this day it makes absolutely no sense even with 2 bullets the rifling will let gas escape over a short period of time.

We called it a "pop and no kick."

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    This was just as I received it. The guy hands me a air drill box and Asked if it was worth anything in this Condition! Sad as this is a Us Army in .45 ACP with a great lockup... but whoever did this also Removed the Barrel w/o driving out the frame pin! Never did get an admission of Who did this...But I have been Trying to Find Someone With the Proper Good Us marked barrel to Restore this old War Horse. Smith will Not Take it On...Even Though the Barrel is the same as the New Classic Remakes. Any thoughts, I would love to get it restored.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A squib killed Bruce Lee's son while filming a movie which was the fault of the guy preparing the firearm.

I"ve never had a squib but on a semi auto pistol, is a squib going to not cycle the next round?

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I reload, and I always check for sound and feel, and also how the brass ejects...

I had a squib in the past, and now I always carry a pen with me and after done firing, I always put in my barrel and then rest it on the bench. I only reload 9 and 45acp

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom