• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    How hard is it to make safe squibs? Ones that get stuck in the barrel. An instructor friend asked me if I knew. She wants to do an intro to handgun class that includes clearing of squibs so her students can see the proper procedure and know how to handle an unsafe situation safely. I told her it's a bad idea but she plans on keeping them VERY seperate from live ammo.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Either have just the primer or a charge of .2-.5gr at most, depending on the caliber.

Personally, this is a really bad frickin' idea on your friend's part. No way, no frickin' how, would I ever do this with a firearm. The safety issues in this are astronomical. Advise her not to do it.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Maybe she could get wax balls or cylinders to use in place of squibbed ammo? It'll still block light but instead of introducing bad ammo into the mix you just insert the block manually? Although even that I don't like. Seems like a recipe for a hand to get blown off.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Either have just the primer or a charge of .2-.5gr at most, depending on the caliber.

Personally, this is a really bad frickin' idea on your friend's part. No way, no frickin' how, would I ever do this with a firearm. The safety issues in this are astronomical. Advise her not to do it.

She's thought through most of the safety stuff. She's thinking of using a Walther PPK because it's a fixed barrel with a wooden dowel to tap it out and having the mag blocked to only hold 1 round. She'd only take one squib to each class in a seperate baggie taped to the top of her ammo can. (She got that idea from my setback M855 round). She would also only have this gun with this round so it's dedicated. She shoots and carries Glock.

When I first heard this from her my response was, and I quote "You're fvcking retarded". Her husband also isn't 100% keen on the idea. She tried to hide it but like any good friend I texted him behind her back.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    She's thought through most of the safety stuff. She's thinking of using a Walther PPK because it's a fixed barrel with a wooden dowel to tap it out and having the mag blocked to only hold 1 round. She'd only take one squib to each class in a seperate baggie taped to the top of her ammo can. (She got that idea from my setback M855 round). She would also only have this gun with this round so it's dedicated. She shoots and carries Glock.

When I first heard this from her my response was, and I quote "You're fvcking retarded". Her husband also isn't 100% keen on the idea. She tried to hide it but like any good friend I texted him behind her back.

We have been friends for a while. As your friend, I am asking you to tell this woman that she is insane for wanting to do something this stupid. I have seen what happens with a squib load. I have seen what happens with the second shot, because somebody didn't pay attention to the warning signs.

If she wants to simulate a squib, she should do it with a ball bearing in a cotton patch, or a ball of wax. Even then, I would be extremely hesitant about doing that.

She is setting up a recipe for a catastrophe in the classroom or at a range.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    As you are a mechanic I will put it this way.

Would you cut a brake line if your friend said he would only use it to teach kids how to stop without brakes ? He/she promises to use the car with the broken brake line going uphill ?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We have been friends for a while. As your friend, I am asking you to tell this woman that she is insane for wanting to do something this stupid. I have seen what happens with a squib load. I have seen what happens with the second shot, because somebody didn't pay attention to the warning signs.

If she wants to simulate a squib, she should do it with a ball bearing in a cotton patch, or a ball of wax. Even then, I would be extremely hesitant about doing that.

Wonder what other "unconventional" things she's teaching :ohnoes: Maybe she should ask whoever trained and certified her if this is a good idea. If that's the guy who stands next to the targets his students are shooting at, he might be able to help.:sad20:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm sorry but I see no redeeming qualities to this type of instruction. Talk about it, sure. Actually set up this situation, not a good idea. Why not teach the act of clearing a squib with some cotton or wax as others have stated? But why in the world would she want to deliberately want to shoot a squib load is beyond me. But hey, I'm not the qualified instructor.

Ask her one thing. Is the risk worth the reward?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Murphy always wins.

Never test the guy.

exactly. but, in the interest of the question posed, and remember i am not any way experienced in reloading, but couldn't she load a round with just the primer and no powder? like i said, i have no experience in reloading but i am familiar with mr. Murphy.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    No need for powder. A magnum primer and a bullet more than does the job. Anyone who has been reloading for any length of time has experienced this. I've had more than my fair share of them.

3 Gun Gal

Aug 2, 2016
    Carroll Co.
    I'm not sure why an explanation is not adequate. I've always understood quite clearly when I've been told what a barrel obstruction is and how to clear it. As proof of this point, I've had a squib earlier this year and successfully removed it, without ever having seen an instructor do it. A visual demonstration is really not necessary. I hope she doesn't give other women instructors a bad reputation due to this. I know several very good women who teach quality firearms courses without compromising safety.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    exactly. but, in the interest of the question posed, and remember i am not any way experienced in reloading, but couldn't she load a round with just the primer and no powder? like i said, i have no experience in reloading but i am familiar with mr. Murphy.

Yes.. but intentionally doing it is no bueno..

for the safety aspect.. if she want just for show and tell.. have an old barrel and force a plain bullet in there and pass the barrel around.

Never do a demo.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    another thought to consider, there are training videos available demonstrating what squips do, how to detect it and how to respond to a suspected squib. seems the safest way to explain it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

As you are a mechanic I will put it this way.

Would you cut a brake line if your friend said he would only use it to teach kids how to stop without brakes ? He/she promises to use the car with the broken brake line going uphill ?

This, it is a ginormous liability, and stands a good chance at ending in an ambulance ride and lawsuit, instructors have lost their certs for much less, there really is no redeeming value. As a friend sometimes you need to tell others when they are being a moron, and can help best by refusing to participate. There is some value in putting a dummy round or empty case in the mag to tech malfunction drills. Nobody really trains for squibs because they are exceedingly rare with factory ammo, and they basically take the gun out of the fight. If a malf drill is done (as most instructors teach), it will disable and destroy a gun, probably injure a student, advanced clases may train transitions with a hard failure, but won't damage someone's gun over it. Only redeeming value would be in a gunsmithing class, in that case an instructor would just press a ball or bullet in the breech with no live ammo around, and no intention of firing the pistol. Can't wait to see what she does to teach about accidental discharges, there are plenty of instructors trying to teach "outside the box", and end up making us all look bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom