• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bojaydk

Oct 2, 2011
    Crownsville, MD
    Alright now that deer season is over it's time to get back into the woods and take out those damn deer sounding squirrels that got me all excited this past fall. Anyone have any good squirrel tips? Sit & wait? Spot & stalk? Anyone ever heard of rubbing two quarters together to make a squirrel call? Let's hear your strategy...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It been awhile since I've hunted in Maryland, but didn't the season end in January?
    As far as tips, it all depends where I'm hunting as to weather I sit for a spell or walk and stalk.

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    I plan to have a rendezvous with a couple dozen squirrels that tortured me all deer season. By my estimates, I will sit in my deer stand one of these next couple of Saturdays and will have a steady stream of deer walk by, without seeing a single squirrel.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Tips? Hunt someplace that is ordinarily lightly hunted. The li'l buggers can get pretty skitterish in late season if they've had hunting pressure.

Also, if it's super cold or real windy, they'll often stay holed up (or more precisely, treed up) for the entire day. The exception: if weather is supper cold / windy / nasty for a couple days or more in a row. They do have to eat sometimes, and while some claim they hibernate, they actually do not. They don't have enough fat to actually hibernate but that doesn't mean they won't hole up for a day or 2 at a time. If you see one very early (right after shooting light) you may want to wait before shooting to see if others come out...again, especially if they have had hunting pressure. One shot will send them scurrying or hiding...but if several are out and away from their nests, they will almost certainly have to move again after you take a shot. So even if they hide, they will sooner or later move iif to just get to cover. And don't go get your game as soon as it drops. If several squirrels were seen before you shoot, mark where the one dropped and after the others disappear, just start watching for a while to see if they move again. Again, if they're away from their nest or cover, they'll have to move sooner of later. An American Hunter article is here: http://americanhunter.org/articles/late-season-squirrel-hunting-tips/ and a Bass Pro site: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...&objectID=28495&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051

Good Luck! Hope you take some game.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Wait, nobody's said "climb a tree and act like a nut" yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom