• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    SO I have a 9mm Star B that I picked up prob 2 years ago. Looks good, but had a problem chambering rounds. It would be ok for a few and then one or 3 would only go half way in. It did this with both magazines.

I bought a wolf replacement gun spring for the slide thinking the spring was weak and took it out shooting yesterday.

First mag was fine. no stoppages, all normal. Reloaded the mag, this time
    first 5 rounds fired fine. Round 6 fired, and before I could let the trigger go, round 7 fired and round 8 (last one) chambered half way. So essentially for that one trigger pull, it worked like an automatic pistol. I dont know if the last round would have fired if it had fully chambered or not.

I didnt fire it any more after that.

what could have caused that?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    First guess is crud around firing pin, keeping it projecting rather than getting retracted behind the breech face.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If it is not dirty, then you need to check the firing pin and spring for any signs of what is keeping the firing pin out. This will require moving the rear sight to expose the pin that holds the firing pin in place.

Also take a good look at the bolt(for lack of a better word) face for any surface irregularities.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Sounds to me like you have more than one issue.

The issue with it getting jammed up/not chambering could be because the mags were designed for a longer round, and your 9x19 rounds can move around in the mag during recoil and have trouble feeding correctly.

Mine will jam several times a magazine due to this if I use brass cased ammo, but if I use steel cased ammo there is enough friction to keep the rounds in place in the magazine and it runs fine.

Some people insert spacers in the mag and put a different follower in, from some type of single stack Norinco 9mm pistol if I remember correctly.

Try some steel cased ammo and see if it fixes the feeding issue. Look to the other replies for the other issue.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This kind of thing has made me shy of buying a Star B. Are parts more readily available than I perceive? Am I overreacting?

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    No issues with my Star B, only have it for a few months but I ran a half dozen different BRASS 9mm through it without issues, It a great shooter, Think I will look into getting a couple more when I get settled into the new house. ;)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not sure if your accidentally double tapping but you should first assume you are not. My dad and I both have Star B pistols.
    His is older than mine and more worn.
    They have a short crisp light trigger thus I was suggesting the double tap.
    Like said, the magazine was designed for the 9x21 I believe.
    People have had success doing the following:
    Reduce capacity to 5 and try that (works for my original mag)
    New Magazine (I purchased one and I can load to capacity)
    Use steel cased ammo (many indoor ranges do not allow).

you might try starting with loading fewer rounds or buy steel cased ammo before you go further. My most common problem with fully loaded original mag is the 2nd or 3rd round would nose dive and not fully chamber. My Star B is a range toy so I often just load 5 at a time anyway. I don't know about the Super B reliability but I almost purchased one from Lou45 (RIP) at a show but he passed shortly after that before I could get to the shop.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone

My most common problem with fully loaded original mag is the 2nd or 3rd round would nose dive and not fully chamber. ...

Thanks for saying that. I have this problem with one of my mags and have never seen a mag do this. Any clue for the cause, dent in mag? Spring? Mine is just a range toy too so it's just frustrating and not critical.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks for saying that. I have this problem with one of my mags and have never seen a mag do this. Any clue for the cause, dent in mag? Spring? Mine is just a range toy too so it's just frustrating and not critical.

As mentioned by myself and toolness, it was designed for a different length round I suppose.
    This is good reading (for those frustrated souls) even if you don't do what this guy did.

http://www.kegisland.com/star-b-debugging-project.html

He calls it double feed jam but many call it a nose dive. Not unlike a 1911, it seems to me that feed lip design and when the round is released comes into play. There are firearm designs that are very forgiving to wear and variation in magazines and different round dimensions (shape of bullet etc) classic GI 1911 and the Star B are not forgiving IMO like say a tilting barrel Glock 17. (I Am Not A Gunsmith)

Jul 1, 2012
    Originally 9x23 (Largo) in the Models 1920-1922 and Model A then rechambered for 9x19 to become the B.
    Ironically Star initially added a spacer to the mag spine ala the "Debugging" article referenced above, but it was too expensive to produce.
    Later Star changed the feed lips to be longer to help with feeding 9x19 (Antaris).
    So there are at least two different factory designs out there.

I'll try to dig some out and measure them...

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    ok, I cleaned it a bit better. load only 5 and use Steel Case ammo. Gun runs well, no double fires, no hiccups. I can fire 4 as fast or slow as I want with no issues

EXCEPT:
    the last round in each mag wont load correctly. The bullet goes 3/4 in and stops as if there wasnt enough pressure to send the slide home. Mag issue? The springs are all new so I dont think its that. May try to find new mags if they are avail

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom