• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I started years ago with the Lee Anniversary Kit, and have loaded thousands, and thousands of rounds, pistol and rifle. I also have a Rockchucker, and I prefer the Lee press to it, mainly for the angle opening and round handle compared to the RC's straight bar.

I am currently using a Lee Pro 1000 progressive for my pistol loads, and will probably be getting a second one soon to keep set up for another caliber.

I got the Lee kit that came with Richard Lee's book, which I highly recommend. I still use several parts of the kit. Try it. It's a cheap start, and you can always use a second press down the line for crimping, etc.

MH

redoktober

I started years ago with the Lee Anniversary Kit, and have loaded thousands, and thousands of rounds, pistol and rifle. I also have a Rockchucker, and I prefer the Lee press to it, mainly for the angle opening and round handle compared to the RC's straight bar.

I am currently using a Lee Pro 1000 progressive for my pistol loads, and will probably be getting a second one soon to keep set up for another caliber.

I got the Lee kit that came with Richard Lee's book, which I highly recommend. I still use several parts of the kit. Try it. It's a cheap start, and you can always use a second press down the line for crimping, etc.

MH

I think the kits have evolved over the years. They now use the Breech Lock Challenger Press in their anniversary kit. They've also got a Breech Lock Challenger Press kit as well with a few upgrades. A lot of folks who speak highly of the Lee presses refer to their old Classic Cast Press. I don't know if the Breech Lock is an improvement on that design. The Breech Lock is priced lower.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I think the kits have evolved over the years. They now use the Breech Lock Challenger Press in their anniversary kit. They've also got a Breech Lock Challenger Press kit as well with a few upgrades. A lot of folks who speak highly of the Lee presses refer to their old Classic Cast Press. I don't know if the Breech Lock is an improvement on that design. The Breech Lock is priced lower.

Actually, my Lee single stage is an old cast aluminum job. More than strong enough for my needs. Clean and lube it once in a while, and it keeps going.:)
    The Lee Classic Cast press just came out a few years ago, I believe. If I was looking for just a single stage press by itself, the Classic Cast would be the one. Very nice, and worth more than the $85 price tag IMO.

MH

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I just bought the Hornady Classic kit...great stuff from what i can tell. Been loading with it this week and very happy.
    With the free bullets and being made in USA (unlike the green stuff) it was a no brainer on what to buy!
    Also Hornady seems like a great company, everytime i call them i am happy with the service i get.
    Thumbs up to Hornady

I am biased towards products made in the USA, which means I'm torn between the Hornady kit and the Lee kit.

Just so you know all presses and dies made by RCBS are made in California. I know that many here may think it is a different country:D If you want to verify it just give them a call. Also many of the items that come with other kits are also made outside the U.S. Mdeng

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore

I have the new kit with the Challenger press. No problems so far and wouldn't even think of spending more for a different brand. Just my .02 from a newbie so who knows the wheels could fall off (so to speak) and then I'll be out a press.

redoktober

It would be cool if there was a sticky on this topic. Perhaps the moderator could put together a few paragraphs on the equipment a beginner should consider when starting to reload. Recommendations would be welcome, esp. on the various components (powder measures, presses, etc.).

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    My 2-cents worth. I'm new to reloading. I bought a Lee Classic Turret Kit. Then I got their 4 die set for .45. Works like a charm. Then I got a new turret, and dies for 9MM, along with another Auto-Powder, and then for .38.......and on, and on.....

Working jest fine for me. And finally, regarding "No Space" for a bench..my bench has a 2 foot square foot print, and the height matches my height so that I do not have back problems. 4 shelves below, and one up top for the scale at eye level. Plan from old "ABC's of Reloading Book.....1/2 inch particle board cut to the plan..cheap and effective.

I'm done!
    regards, R

Dans390

Apr 14, 2007
    York Pa
    started w/lee progressive 25-30 yrs past all lee equip
    loaded & shot IMSHA plus play & NRA Inst
    Finally upgraded to Classic Lee so bottlenecks will rotate
    GOOD STUFF

Cowboy T

MH

That's exactly how I do it. The Lee Kit with the book is how I started. Now I use two Pro 1000's to load my handgun ammo. But I still use that little press that came with that Lee Kit. I now use it for cast boolit-sizing, and since I cast all my boolits, that means I use it a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom