• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    I went to Blue Fins this afternoon and purchased another stripped lower, got the Aero. So I'm going to be collecting parts for my next build, this time it's going to be a 6.5 Grendel, probably 16". Any suggestions are welcome.
    So far I have the LPK (Stag). and a Larue grip. I'm looking at Alexander Arms barrels, but am open to suggestions.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I went to Blue Fins this afternoon and purchased another stripped lower, got the Aero. So I'm going to be collecting parts for my next build, this time it's going to be a 6.5 Grendel, probably 16". Any suggestions are welcome.
    So far I have the LPK (Stag). and a Larue grip. I'm looking at Alexander Arms barrels, but am open to suggestions.

Odin lower....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Brownells branded Satern 6.5grendel barrels are very reasonably priced, have a reputation for good accuracy, and come with a matching bolt.

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    Go with the Saturn barrel. They are 5R grooved barrels that are cut rifling. I was in this 6.5 ball game almost from the very beginning. Arne Brennen, the true designer of the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, is a very good friend of mine. The original players were Arne Brennen, Bill Alexander, and Woody Woodall ( who at that time was with Lothar Walther). The first 6.5 Grendel barrels were Lothar Walther. I had a 22 inch one heavy profile. Use to be you could have your choice of two chamber neck diameters. .300 inch and .295 inch. I had mine cut to .295 for better accuracy, it it was very very accurate.

I feel the 16 inch barrel is too short for that cartridge. The longer barrels are better for long range accuracy and hunting. Any barrel on a AR that is 24 inch or longer puts a stress on the thread tenon and you should definitely shoot such length barrels with bipods.

Arne Brennen has long since moved on and has a few new cartridges out that don't require any propietary parts like the 6.5 Grendel did. The original Grendel bolts were made from 5.56 bolts and the face of the bolts were recessed .011 to get rid of the circumference groove on 5.56 bolts so nobody knew that is what they were made from. Alexander Arms kept that .011 recess. There were some early 6.5 Grendels that used the 7.62x39 bolts and the head spacing between the two are different as you can imagine. Those two new rounds from Arne are the 45 Raptor, 7mm Raptor, and the 25 Raptor. The 45 is based on a rimless 500 Smith & Wesson case and it's a cannon!! The 7mm and 25 are based off a 222 case. To read about the 45 Raptor go here:

http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a Criterion barrel from Precision Firearms. People have reported 1/2 moa with handloads and 3/4 to 1 with factory ammo.
    If you don't mind spending some $$ I heard that his cut rifle barrels shoot really well.
    Lilja is another option. Look at the AR740.
    Nothing wrong with AA barrels. They have some new lightweight barrels that look good.
    Just get a SAMMI spec barrel.

I built mine for longer range shooting so it is on the heavy side.

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    With good reloads and a good barrel you should be hitting that 1/2 inch at 300 yards easily. When I was on the Grendel forum I know a lot of them that did. One fellow took an Elk at 450 yards with his Grendel. My friend, who runs the 6.8 forum took an Elk at 400 yards with a 6.8. My LW barreled 6.5 Grendel was like a laser beam.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Go here....

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/

Also, LRRPF52 on ARFCOM is great source of knowledge on all things grendel.

The Brownells Grendel barrels aren't Satern cut rifled barrels, but the Liberty line of Satern that are button rifled. From all the reports I've read, they're seriously over gassed and need adjustable gb.

I would only buy a SAAMI spec Grendel barrel. Makers of SAAMI Grendel barrels are....

Satern cut rifled (not Liberty line sold by Brownells and others)
    Lilja
    Alexander Arms (great deal too)
    JP
    Criterion from Precision Firearms
    Odin Works
    Faxon group buys from 6.5 forum
    Bartlein
    Shilen
    APF Alex Pro
    SOLGW
    Ballistic Advantage is also coming out with Grendel barrels.

Stay away from "Grendel I" that takes 7.62 bolts with .125" bolt face depth.

Regardless, the round is really gaining in popularity. I'm planning a build myself

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    SAAMI spec has to do with chamber dimensions among other specifications. Those Liberty barrel spoke of are Satern's button rifled line. I know Steve Satern and I can tell you he uses the same chamber reamer on his cut rifling barrels as he does his button line. Myself, I would prefer his cut rifling barrel.

Most AR barrels are drill with a gas port hole that is going to over gas the rifle. No big deal, just install an adjustable gas block on it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you call the "Grendel I" with it's 7.62 bolt. In fact given that both style of bolts are made from the same material the 7.62 hasn't undercut the bolt lugs as much as the Grendel bolt with it's .011 recessed face, and is stronger. Broken bolt lugs were a common occurrence with Grendel bolts until the material was changed. The original steel used was the Colt 158 carpenter steel. Now I believe it's much tougher 9310. All that recessed bolt face does is make the bolt proprietary.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    SAAMI spec has to do with chamber dimensions among other specifications. Those Liberty barrel spoke of are Satern's button rifled line. I know Steve Satern and I can tell you he uses the same chamber reamer on his cut rifling barrels as he does his button line. Myself, I would prefer his cut rifling barrel.

Most AR barrels are drill with a gas port hole that is going to over gas the rifle. No big deal, just install an adjustable gas block on it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you call the "Grendel I" with it's 7.62 bolt. In fact given that both style of bolts are made from the same material the 7.62 hasn't undercut the bolt lugs as much as the Grendel bolt with it's .011 recessed face, and is stronger. Broken bolt lugs were a common occurrence with Grendel bolts until the material was changed. The original steel used was the Colt 158 carpenter steel. Now I believe it's much tougher 9310. All that recessed bolt face does is make the bolt proprietary.

Liberty barrels are "Grendel II" which a few makers use since it's easier to machine...longer free bore and no compound throat. PTG and JGS consider the throat as part of the spec, as does AA, Hornady, Lilja, Precision Firearms, etc.

I would have NO issue buying a Satern cut rifled barrel with SAAMI chamber, but have no desire for the "Grendel II" (or any other non standarized) chamber/throat.

grendelII_zpsbuwnzlnk.jpg

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    Liberty barrels are "Grendel II" which a few makers use since it's easier to machine...longer free bore and no compound throat. PTG and JGS consider the throat as part of the spec, as does AA, Hornady, Lilja, Precision Firearms, etc.

I would have NO issue buying a Satern cut rifled barrel with SAAMI chamber, but have no desire for the "Grendel II" (or any other non standarized) chamber/throat.

grendelII_zpsbuwnzlnk.jpg

I hate to tell you that compound throat is no good. It also limits you in what bullets/ammo you can use it in. Also if one is going for extreme accuracy that .300 neck is not as good as the .295. To each is own I guess.

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    I was thinking, if someone wanted the the ultimate 6.5 AR, I would build a 6.5 Creedmoor on an AR10. Todays AR10 have gotten lighter and can just about complete with an AR15 in that category. I've seen some AR10 308 carbines in the 7.5 to 8 pound weight bracket shoot some pretty small MOA groups at 100 yards. The 6.5 Grendel is pushing the limits of an AR15 bolt.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    In MD can you build a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 without it being an HBAR?
    I am not a lawyer and have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently, but the limited research I have conducted leads me to believe that you can.

My ideal 6.5 grendel barrel would be a nitrided one (Faxon maybe) 18" or 20" with a matched nitrided bolt. Because I am going to shoot a ton of that cheap wolf steel ammo through it and I want it to be able to stand up to it well enough to be fairly accurate with good ammunition. Is this a smart plan? Probably not, but neither is adding YET ANOTHER cartridge to my ammunition reserves. I'd be doing it for fun, not for any serious work.

criterion

May 25, 2016
    I have a Criterion barrel from Precision Firearms. People have reported 1/2 moa with handloads and 3/4 to 1 with factory ammo.
    If you don't mind spending some $$ I heard that his cut rifle barrels shoot really well.
    Lilja is another option. Look at the AR740.
    Nothing wrong with AA barrels. They have some new lightweight barrels that look good.
    Just get a SAMMI spec barrel.

I built mine for longer range shooting so it is on the heavy side.

+1 For Mark at PF. I might be a little biased though.

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    When the 6.5 Grendel came about almost everyone wanted to use it long range shooting and with heavy barrels. The early AA Grendel with the LW barrels would shoot really great. Then later on when Satern made 5R cut rifled barrels for AA those babies shot too!. A lot of those early Grendel shooters where easily shooting 1/2 inch groups at 300 yards. Half each groups at 100 yards is good for the average shooter, but let me tell you there are many that shoot single hole at 100 yard. Arne Brennan that I mentioned is the one that really got the Grendel going was a "F Class" shooter, still is, and he wouldn't put up with 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Like I said 1/2 inch is good, but better can be had. One thing that I would never accuse the 6.5 Grendel of that is it being inaccurate.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I have a upper from Precision with kreger barrel it's stupid accurate it's a one hole gun at 100yds

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom