• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c473

Aug 28, 2008
    Went to the Barrack in Prince Frederick and they told me they could not do the paperwork for an AR they only do handguns. When asked how it was different from any other regulated arm, they said "I don't know, the waiting period could be longer than ten days..." I said "More than the standard seven days?", they said "not sure, could be twenty, could be thirty." At that point he handed me the number of the Firearms Licensing Unit and said "Call them on Monday and ask if it's OK for a Barracks to do a transfer on an "ASSAULT RIFLE" (emphasis added) and if they say they can, have them call us here at the desk to say we can." We grabbed our IDs and got out.

One, I'm 99% positive they can do it. Is this just a case of some low ranking troopers not knowing the laws?

Two, wouldn't you think they could call a supervisor and ask? or at least offer to call the Licensing unit on Monday themselves and call me back? Are they really that busy (rhetorical, I know)?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Sounds like an uninformed trooper or a trooper following orders to try to curtail legal trades, or a trooper with a personal agenda. Hopefully you got his info for when u call the firearms divison

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Totally incorrect!!! I did an AR15 transfer @ the Bel Air Barrack @ Christmas. Last month did a transfer of anohter different rifle @ Waterloo and they just looked at me funny. The Desk Sgt got on the phone with Firearms Reg Section for instructions, it went smooth after that. Its handled like any other Regulated Firearm

Go back on Mon and tell them ot call FRS in Pikesville for instructions.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Sounds like an uninformed trooper or a trooper following orders to try to curtail legal trades, or a trooper with a personal agenda. Hopefully you got his info for when u call the firearms divison

its more ignorance then malice. I had the same problem last month. The TFC called his Sgt in the next building in Waterloo. The Sgt called Firearms Registration Section (I could see she was on hte phone) after that it went smooth. I cna tell the troooper was new to this b/c he had a checklist in his hand. I could do the tranfer in my sleep now

BTW....WELCOME to MDS

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Go back and tell them that it's THEIR JOB to A) Know the law and B) Make the phone calls to the licensing division if they don't know the law.

If you make the call and confirm it, which is a waste of time because it is the MSP's job to make the call, the yokels at the barracks are STILL going to have to call to make sure that you aren't lying to them.

If they won't do it, get the trooper's name and ask who his superior is.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Go back and tell them that it's THEIR JOB to A) Know the law and B) Make the phone calls to the licensing division if they don't know the law.

If you make the call and confirm it, which is a waste of time because it is the MSP's job to make the call, the yokels at the barracks are STILL going to have to call to make sure that you aren't lying to them.

+1

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

+1
    If he want today FRS is closed. Go back on Mon and ask to see a supervisor if they won't comply, then have them call them. I'm sure they won't be put on hold as long.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I just don't get the attitude of some of the civil servants in this state. I'm not painting all such people with the same branch, but it sure seems that in MD there is a higher tendency for this sort of attitude compared to other states where I've either lived or had to conduct business.

Certainly there are civil servants who are efficient and knowledgeable about their jobs and go about them with something approaching enthusiasm, but the vast number of experiences that I've had were similar to the above....that somehow it's MY responsibility to help them do their jobs and they are doing ME a favor by processing some innocuous piece of paperwork.

I think that they sometimes forget that the root word of "servant" is "service" and that "civil" refers to the citizen.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I just don't get the attitude of some of the civil servants in this state. I'm not painting all such people with the same branch, but it sure seems that in MD there is a higher tendency for this sort of attitude compared to other states where I've either lived or had to conduct business.

Certainly there are civil servants who are efficient and knowledgeable about their jobs and go about them with something approaching enthusiasm, but the vast number of experiences that I've had were similar to the above....that somehow it's MY responsibility to help them do their jobs and they are doing ME a favor by processing some innocuous piece of paperwork.

I think that they sometimes forget that the root word of "servant" is "service" and that "civil" refers to the citizen.

well there's your problem....you're painting with outdated and obsolete tools....:sad20:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    my experience with md civil servants....

vogon3b.jpg

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Transfer fee @ Gun Connection for registered MD Shooters Member is still only
    $30 CASH!!!:D:thumbsup:

It's illegal for a dealer to charge more then $20 for a secondary transfer.

§ 5-124. Secondary transactions.

(a) Seven-day waiting period.-

(1) A person who is not a licensee may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by a licensee to the Secretary.

(2) As an alternative to completing a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee, a prospective seller, lessor, or transferor and a prospective purchaser, lessee, or transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.

(b) Processing fee.- A firearm applicant for a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee shall pay to the licensee a processing fee not exceeding $20.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It's illegal for a dealer to charge more then $20 for a secondary transfer.

§ 5-124. Secondary transactions.

(a) Seven-day waiting period.-

(1) A person who is not a licensee may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by a licensee to the Secretary.

(2) As an alternative to completing a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee, a prospective seller, lessor, or transferor and a prospective purchaser, lessee, or transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.

(b) Processing fee.- A firearm applicant for a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee shall pay to the licensee a processing fee not exceeding $20.
    Thing is though that is a transfer fee a processing fee?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Andras, I believe the math works like this: $20.00 for the transfer, $10.00 for the MSP fee. I'm sure Dan will correct me if I'm mistaken. You might want to call around and see how much other dealers charge for this and turn them in for breaking the law. Let me know how that works out for you.

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    3rdRcn, you would be correct with the math.....that reminds me, I gotta go pickup 2 .308 lowers from Dan :D

....Dan always gets my money for transfers, I wont deal with anybody else :party29:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Andras, I believe the math works like this: $20.00 for the transfer, $10.00 for the MSP fee. I'm sure Dan will correct me if I'm mistaken. You might want to call around and see how much other dealers charge for this and turn them in for breaking the law. Let me know how that works out for you.

Heh, I just noticed something, the way the law is worded it is not illegal for the dealer to charge more than $20; it is illegal for us to pay it. Wow, it may be us who have been breaking the law.
    (b) Processing fee.- A firearm applicant [subject of the sentence] for a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee shall pay to the licensee a processing fee not exceeding $20.
    If I am reading this right, then this is just plain bizarre.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Heh, I just noticed something, the way the law is worded it is not illegal for the dealer to charge more than $20; it is illegal for us to pay it. Wow, it may be us who have been breaking the law.
    If I am reading this right, then this is just plain bizarre.

lol, don't give them any reasons to start breaking down doors and killing dogs. :o

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    (b) Processing fee.- A firearm applicant [subject of the sentence] for a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee shall pay to the licensee a processing fee not exceeding $20.

To me that reads as they can't charge more than $20 to do the MSP processing, they can charge whatever they want for the actual transfer but not mark up the MSP fee by more than 100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom