• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Did anyone see this in the Sun today? Sounds like, for now anyway, applications for CCW will be approved without G&S reason. Sure sounds to me that if the stay is denied they will be forced to approve permit applications.

Maryland State Police spokesman Gregory Shipley said the agency, which oversees the permit process, will not be making any permit decisions solely on the "good and substantial reason" requirement until "the court clarifies its position" based on the attorney general's request.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-stay-gun-ruling-20120308,0,4550765.story

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If this is true, everything in the pipeline should be approved pending a background investigation and truthfulness.

The G&S reason was their only subjective reason.

axxell33

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland State Police spokesman Gregory Shipley said the agency, which oversees the permit process, will not be making any permit decisions solely on the "good and substantial reason" requirement until "the court clarifies its position" based on the attorney general's request.

I've read this about 50 times.. trying to make sure it means what I want to think it means. I just can't imagine that they will start approving CCW apps immediately. I would tend to think that they would pile them up on hold waiting for a decision.

UNLESS..

They're thinking about this in a manipulative way. They approve the influx of current apps, which in the big picture over a long term is not that many, and this allows them to maintain their 97% approval talking point. They'll approve these in hopes that WE remain quiet and that only a small number gets through before the "stay" is approved.. IF it gets approved.

If not approved.. we could raise a ruckus!

They could also feel the pressure of their neck on the chopping block.. and want to make sure they follow the ruling until the "stay" is granted. The reason behind this would be to avoid future appeals and litigation over denied apps during this time of "limbo".

Then again.. maybe they're just not approving. Hmm..

RAJay

Mar 8, 2011
    The Dena
    I agree with Cranky.

I doubt they are doing ANY work on the application if they see it is using the "Lack of need for a G&S Reason" decision as the basis for the request.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

UMMM.... they never have been solely on the "good and substantial reason" They also included background checks, medical checks, etc......

RAJay

Mar 8, 2011
    The Dena
    They're thinking about this in a manipulative way. They approve the influx of current apps, which in the big picture over a long term is not that many, and this allows them to maintain their 97% approval talking point. They'll approve these in hopes that WE remain quiet and that only a small number gets through before the "stay" is approved.. IF it gets approved.

If they approve some peoples request on the basis of not needing a G&S Reason now, I would be unfairly discriminated against if they didn't approve mine as well. I think you are giving the MSP too much credit. They probably just don't know what to do quite yet, and have been told "do nothing" because they are trying to stay the order

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I've read this about 50 times.. trying to make sure it means what I want to think it means. I just can't imagine that they will start approving CCW apps immediately. I would tend to think that they would pile them up on hold waiting for a decision.

UNLESS..

If not approved.. we could raise a ruckus!

They could also feel the pressure of their neck on the chopping block.. and want to make sure they follow the ruling until the "stay" is granted. The reason behind this would be to avoid future appeals and litigation over denied apps during this time of "limbo".

Then again.. maybe they're just not approving. Hmm..

They should have a decision on the "STAY" within a few weeks. These apps take months to approve. I think they are just piling them up maybe going through the basics until the "STAY" is decided on. They still have plenty of time to work through them after the decision. Nothing even has them locked to 90 days to make a decision. Just states to call if you have not heard anything by then. They really could drag this out.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    They should have a decision on the "STAY" within a few weeks.

Don't be so sure, MD is the odd man out in the 4th circuit when it comes to issuing licenses, every other state recognizes "self defense" as an acceptable reason.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Aren't the livescan prints good for only a certain amount of time?

...if they sit on the apps do the prints become void and unusable?

From the way I have read it YES. Thats why they tell you that your app must be received within 72 hour. What I say is keep a copy of your live scan receipt and send the app with receipt and you will know that they had both within 72 hours. If they go bad thats there fault. I could see maybe getting new ones but it would be at there cost.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Couldn't someone request a press conference or something like that to clarify how things are going to be handled "today" not pending a stay or anything like that? Maybe from MDSP or the AG?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wonder why the prints are only good for 72 hours? Mine haven't faded in the 60 years of being on my fingers. Maybe it's because they can't be kept by law?

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Shipley's comment is being discussed in the SAF Lawsuit thread.

The quote was slightly different in another article: http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120309/NEWS01/203090313

While the ruling is appealed, Maryland State Police, the agency that processes permit applications, will not make decisions on applications in which approval rests solely on that clause, spokesman Greg Shipley said.

It seems to me that the MSP will sit on any application that has "2A" as a G&S reason.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    "Won't be based soley on G&S"? I'm sure I read somewhere in a court decision that G&S couldn't be used at all. This is why whenever I here the term "Spokesperson" my brain automaticly translates it to " Official Liar".

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The way I see this; they are walking very thin ice of a another ass handing to them lawsuit.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Funny how the AG says to direct all question to SP...and SP says they are waiting on direction from AG.

UMMM.... they never have been solely on the "good and substantial reason" They also included background checks, medical checks, etc......

will not be making any permit decisions solely on the "good and substantial reason"

I read the quote as .... If you qualify on everything else and it comes down to G&S, they are going to shelve it. It you are disqualified based on something other than G&S, they will deny. :rolleyes:

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

Nice avatar.

Herm...I've been waiting to see if Judge Legg or the 4th will Stay the ruling. I think I will start to get my application together in the next two weeks and submit it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom