• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aeubank2

Jan 30, 2022
    I have had to hold off on having concealed carry and one-on-one classes, shooting events, and giving rights to hunt on a piece of land I purchased in Nanjemoy, MD. A number of unfriendly neighbors and the State of Maryland are giving me a very hard time and not allowing me to park or gain a small easement across 50-feet of Wildlife Preservation Land so that I can gain access to the land I purchased that is land-locked and has no road access. The state has denied my request for a 50-foot long easement and for an allowance to park 2 cars on state land for 2 hours every weekend to gain access to my land because it will "disrupt the wildlife." Does anyone have experience with something like this? The State of MD is the worst. I am wondering if I should post the State POCs' contact information and ask people to email them to please allow me some sort of access. Not sure if that would help though.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You are going about this all wrong.

Have your lawyer send them a new letter clarifying that you are planning to host regular LGBTQXY children’s camping trips on the site, and that unless the transphobic state officials and neighbors give you immediate and permanent access to your land, you are going to shove your rainbow unicorn horn up someones a$$.

They might respond a little more amicably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Why in the hell would you buy land with no physical access, no easement for access and then expect the state of Maryland to give you access through a wildlife preservation? Seriously, you should be buying an easement from a neighbor and not trying to force the state to give you access.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Used to belong to a hunting club. They had a property leased in nanjemoy.. off Hancock run road.

Which park was it near by?

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Try changing up the terms of what you are asking for.
    Like vehicle access once per month but weekly access by foot or what have you.
    Or perhaps a meeting to see what their exact concerns are so you can tailor your access to reduce those environmental concerns.

Best of luck.

Edit:

Contemplate partnering up with the bird watching folks who conduct their annual survey, Audubon Society IIRC.

Last edited:

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I worked in real estate/Right of Way for both the State and one of the counties and retired with 30 years service. Wildlife preservation areas are sacrosanct and securing an easement through one is likely impossible - especially for the purpose of access to a private hunting area. Also, to All - with no offense to the OP, buying landlocked property in the hopes of securing access later is never the smart move - Access First, Then Property!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    OP, I wish you luck.

But I think you just realized why that plot of land was so cheap.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Is it legal to to sell the last property without an easement to what will be the landlocked property? Is it possible one of the jerk neighbors has an easement they are not advertising: I mean letting people know about it. Or does OP know there is an easement but it’s on the property of a real a-hole and wants another way in?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Is it legal to to sell the last property without an easement to what will be the landlocked property? Is it possible one of the jerk neighbors has an easement they are not advertising: I mean letting people know about it. Or does OP know there is an easement but it’s on the property of a real a-hole and wants another way in?
    Easements are public record, so there’s a place to start.

OP: get a lawyer who does property/real estate and see what options you have. Those conservation parcels can be difficult, but courts don’t like to see wasted land (and landlocked land is wasted because you can’t use it) and you may be able to get an easement by necessity through the court. Bonus points is you get to sue neighbors and/or the state in the process.

CMSGT

BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2022
    I have had to hold off on having concealed carry and one-on-one classes, shooting events, and giving rights to hunt on a piece of land I purchased in Nanjemoy, MD. A number of unfriendly neighbors and the State of Maryland are giving me a very hard time and not allowing me to park or gain a small easement across 50-feet of Wildlife Preservation Land so that I can gain access to the land I purchased that is land-locked and has no road access. The state has denied my request for a 50-foot long easement and for an allowance to park 2 cars on state land for 2 hours every weekend to gain access to my land because it will "disrupt the wildlife." Does anyone have experience with something like this? The State of MD is the worst. I am wondering if I should post the State POCs' contact information and ask people to email them to please allow me some sort of access. Not sure if that would help though.
    First, check your land survey and property deed. One or the other, or both, should tell you where the easement is located. If you can't find it contact the seller and closing agent for help. If that fails contact a lawyer, hopefully the lawyer you used to review the contract before closing. You did have a lawyer review the closing process and contract before forking over the cash at closing, didn't you??

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    No expert here but I have witnessed right of way fights a few times. My understanding is someone has to give up a right of way, a property owner cannot be land locked out of their own land. If nobody will give it up a judge will pick out a spot and make it so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom