• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Hi all,

My son-in-law gifted me a set of steel targets. Like, commercially made and sold targets not just some plate steel that he whipped up at home.
    What are the minimum safe distances and maximum safe calibers for steel targets? I don't want something to come back on me or hurt someone else.

Thanks.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    12-15y for pistol calibers, 75y for rifle calibers. I would recommend your targets are mounted at a 20 degree downward angle or swinging.

We always recommend full coverage eye protection too.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    3/8 or 1/2 inch? Might want to use 1/2 for rifle at 100 yards. Typically hanging from a chain or strap.

Pistol, the closer you shoot them, the greater the angle. I was never comfortable under 10-12 yards.

I prefer the comfort of frangible ammo when shooting pistol to maximize safety. It was mandatory with my Federal training.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Thanks guys.
    The targets came with hanging chains. They are 1/2" steel. Right now, I'm most likely to shoot them with M2 ball, 5.56 and possibly .308.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks guys.
    The targets came with hanging chains. They are 1/2" steel. Right now, I'm most likely to shoot them with M2 ball, 5.56 and possibly .308.
    What is the hardness? AR500, AR550? If you shoot rifle cartridges too close and the steel isn't very hard it may penetrate through the steel. Usually steel targets on the market are AR500. Most ranges I've been to don't have hanging steel targets closer than 100yds. Pistol is usually at least 25yds.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    What is the hardness? AR500, AR550? If you shoot rifle cartridges too close and the steel isn't very hard it may penetrate through the steel. Usually steel targets on the market are AR500. Most ranges I've been to don't have hanging steel targets closer than 100yds. Pistol is usually at least 25yds.
    Ahhhh, I saw those labels on the targets. I thought it was a manufacturer's name. They're 500 or 550. I need to check again.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ahhhh, I saw those labels on the targets. I thought it was a manufacturer's name. They're 500 or 550. I need to check again.
    They're both GTG, 550 is a little harder. Unless you're shooting steel core ammo it won't matter. Steel core 5.56 will leave divots in AR500 but no real damage.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I’ve been nicked 1/2 a dozen times at IDPA matches. Twice from the bay next to the on I was in, coming down on me. Drew blood twice, once next to my safety glasses, once on a shin.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I shot soft steel with a 44 mag at 50 yards and a piece of lead came back and hit me in the crotch. Hurt like hell. Its the craters in the steel that cause the problems. Good hard steel, 25 yards for Auto pistols, 50 yards for magnum pistols, and 100 yards for rifles is my general rule.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yankee thunder has a great video showing bullet impacts on steel targets
    I have confirmed this with huge blankets of cardboard. Nothing ever came back more than 30 inches or so. My landlord asked about collecting lead, so we set out multiple thicknesses of cardboard and the lead becomes dust that we could not collect, but shards of copper jacket would penetrate 13 layers of regular cardboard.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I’ve been nicked 1/2 a dozen times at IDPA matches. Twice from the bay next to the on I was in, coming down on me. Drew blood twice, once next to my safety glasses, once on a shin.

This. At Falling Steel matches I’ve been hit by fragments more times than I can count. Last one was a piece of jacket that hit my lip (I felt it hit my tooth) and got lodged in there. Pulled it right out and lots of blood but ok.
    Just make sure your eye protection wraps fully around the sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The follow on video that youtube suggested to me

This may explain the problems others have encountered

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Spalling is a thing.

I've heard of some people hanging their gong targets using fire hose for straps bolted to them. If a stray bullet hits the hose, it just passes through, where chain hangers break.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Spalling is a thing.

I've heard of some people hanging their gong targets using fire hose for straps bolted to them. If a stray bullet hits the hose, it just passes through, where chain hangers break.
    I use rubber straps after having too many chains break. I got them online for pretty cheap. I've tried tow straps too but the don't hold up as long as the rubber straps.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    . Good hard steel, 25 yards for Auto pistols, 50 yards for magnum pistols, and 100 yards for rifles is my general rule.
    Yards or Feet? I have no experience with this, but 25 yards seems like a long way for a pistol. 50 yards seems absurd, no matter if it's magnum. If this is really the safe distance I'd have to consider hard if steel is worth shooting at.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yards or Feet? I have no experience with this, but 25 yards seems like a long way for a pistol. 50 yards seems absurd, no matter if it's magnum. If this is really the safe distance I'd have to consider hard if steel is worth shooting at.
    depends on whether or not you are shooting steel core ammo

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    depends on whether or not you are shooting steel core ammo
    OK. I have steel core ammo that I picked up when that was all I could get. Never shot it, though. I guess I will hold on to it for killing paper only.

I can see shooting at 25 yards. I do it a little just for fun, but tend to do most of my practice in the 7-10 yard range. 50 yards seems like a mile for a pistol to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom