• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I picked up a Steven’s model 70 Visible loader at the recent MACA show for a little over $400. This is the 2nd range trip with it. First range trip ended early with the 5th federal Automatch case stuck and I really did not have time to pop it out w/o a range rod with me.
    2nd trip out it was flawless with 40 rounds of CCI SV. Seems the cases swell up on the faster Automatch or get stuck with the waxy buildup on the case. I did already Flitz polish the chamber although I did not hone it as I do have a 22 chamber hone. I could also pull and inspect the dual claw extractors as well.

Groups were so so for a 100+ year old 22 at 25 yards

8730b75040c7e404e2fc34930796603c.jpg

72d75e144f892c04fd93d5a0ef56a816.jpg

e61199d9673213afc26f738bd25d037c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    maybe the extractor springs, not enough tension or grime under the extractor or in the springs?
    Nice rifle, nice condition!

I’ll pull them and check it out
    I did clean out a bunch of grime with plastic picks when I got it

That is the rifle I passed on when I saw it at the MD Arms Collector show, glad it went to a good home.

Old-timers jokingly call it "Miserable Loader" because they have various issues, and apparently its rare to see one thats functioning as intended.

Stevens used some of the design principles in their Model 66 bolt-action rifle as well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That is the rifle I passed on when I saw it at the MD Arms Collector show, glad it went to a good home.

Old-timers jokingly call it "Miserable Loader" because they have various issues, and apparently its rare to see one thats functioning as intended.

Stevens used some of the design principles in their Model 66 bolt-action rifle as well.

I can see that if you don't pull the pump all the way back and at the right strength, you will get loading problems. Also, I bet keeping the thing clean of gunk plays a huge factor with the way the rim slides up between 2 extractors , pushes out the empty. If the round is not straight, it won't insert into the chamber well. I am going to shoot them with some shorts next cause I wonder if the shorts will make it easier. This design may have been spawned by a desire to make the loading less picky with shorts while making LR still usable.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That’s a neat little rifle.
    In one of the photos, the one with the cartridge lined up with the chamber , it looks like there may a very small burr at 6 o’clock.
    Of course that could be another part of the mechanism that just makes it appear so.
    Also, if it was fired with a bunch shorts in the past, maybe the chamber front has been become a touch eroded causing the extraction problems with some of your other ammo selections there.
    Or it’s just a little dirty with powder fouling and such.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That’s a neat little rifle.
    In one of the photos, the one with the cartridge lined up with the chamber , it looks like there may a very small burr at 6 o’clock.
    Of course that could be another part of the mechanism that just makes it appear so.
    Also, if it was fired with a bunch shorts in the past, maybe the chamber front has been become a touch eroded causing the extraction problems with some of your other ammo selections there.
    Or it’s just a little dirty with powder fouling and such.

yes, all the years of people dry firing peened the face for sure.
    When I got it, I painted an empty case with a sharpie and then looked for sharp edges which there definitely were and worked them down to remove the scraping.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I bet an ironing tool would straighten that little burr right on up. They’re inexpensive and easy to get from Brownell’s.
    It would be hard not to imagine a youngster somewhere back in the day-not dry firing that thing shooting up all kinds of imaginary game animals and evil doers.
    I wouldn’t be tempted to file or abrade the burr clear from the chamber.
    Once that metals gone, it’s gone for good.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I bet an ironing tool would straighten that little burr right on up. They’re inexpensive and easy to get from Brownell’s.
    It would be hard not to imagine a youngster somewhere back in the day-not dry firing that thing shooting up all kinds of imaginary game animals and evil doers.
    I wouldn’t be tempted to file or abrade the burr clear from the chamber.
    Once that metals gone, it’s gone for good.

Good thought, If you recall, I have another pump 22 that could use one so I'll go ahead and order one. Thx for the reminder

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I sold one of these to a friend not long ago, and his functions mostly fine. Just doesn't do well with lighter projectile loads or shorts. If you stick with 40gr loads or shuck it slow for lighter loads, it feeds as it should. It'll throw the lighter stuff right out the top if you go fast.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thx to Fushigi Ojisan for gifting me a Lyman Vernier rear sight.
    Its missing the sight post, but I think I can make something up with 3D printed parts until I could find what is missing.
    The mounting holes align

Thx to Fushigi Ojisan for gifting me a Lyman Vernier rear sight.
    Its missing the sight post, but I think I can make something up with 3D printed parts until I could find what is missing.
    The mounting holes align
    The widths for the short base are either 3/4" or 11/16" so you had half a shot.

Hopefully you have screws that work.

There are Marbles tang sight posts on eBay

View attachment 338011

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 110-MARBLES-PEEP-SIGHT-nos-TANG-SIGHT-PEEP.jpg
      110-MARBLES-PEEP-SIGHT-nos-TANG-SIGHT-PEEP.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 95

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The post for this one will have thread/teeth on one side.
    About .155" in diameter
    I could 3D print something for it, just would need to know the tooth pitch

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm finding tons of patent drawings that show the post, none have actual dimensions.

That aside, did you find screws that will work with them?

Not yet not spent much time however, Fractured a rib last week so taking it easy, hoping its a common thread

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well
    The screws are about the same diameter as a 6-32 but a finer pitch

I designed a post and made adjustments till it fit. Something was not working with supports on my slicer so I just cropped the top to make a flat spot to print what I had

I just let the teeth of the sight dig into the raised part to form the teeth in the post

Second pic is a test print where I ran it down then unscrewed it to look at the firmed teeth

4f917cefb097ff403ae22a2d5c92b027.jpg

6576c3823bb53cfda1b19de4613eb18a.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You were able to get that close just eyeballing the missing piece?

Amazing

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

OHHHH no, I measured, then did the design a tad small, test printed small pieces bumping up the diameter. About 5 prints till I was happy with it. Then I did the rail. 2 prints for that. Printing small test samples was quick, like 5 minute prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom