• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    My father gave me an old .22 rifle yesterday and I'm wondering if it is worth trying to get someone to fix it. The only markings I see are "trademark Stevens" stamped on the metal.

2012-05-31%252018.54.46.jpg

2012-05-31%252018.54.13.jpg

2012-05-31%2018.54.33.jpg

It looks to be in pretty bad shape. has some rust and from what I can tell, the peice that attaches the loading tube to the gun is barrel is gone. I know I can go buy a new .22 for $200 or so. is this even worth trying to fix?

Thanks

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    depends on you...if your intentions are to make money on it...its prob not worth it. but if you want to get it back to shooting and pass it down then its good too:thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What he said. If it's been your Dad's gun for a long enough time it has more value to you than someone else.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    was it your Grandfather's? with wilcam on passing it down if in the family. Have my Grandfather's that my daughter will get in a few years.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    It was my great grandfather's, so I won't be selling it. I'd like to get the action working, and I don't much care how it looks as long as it functions.

What is the going rate for a gun smith? Any suggestions on where to take it? I was thinking of making the trek to see Dan at gun connection.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Cool old .22 with some history. It could prob'ly be put back into shooting condition. Is there a model number on it anywhere? What little googling I did tells me it could have been made by Savage. Parts are likely out there.

Definitely a project worth undertaking.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    A few weeks ago, my uncle gave me a very similar remington. Apparently, it was used to clear an assortment of snakes from family barns. From this point forward, it will be the trainer of choice for my wife, step-daughter, and grand-kids when they come along. I'm thrilled to have it.

If you can, get it workin' and extend its history. Mine's worth a LOT more than $200 to me.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    I know my dad has some stories about this .22. If I can get it working, I'm going to tell my son how I used it to clear out some groundhogs!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    something like that I would put some stuff called "navel jelly" its a rust remover. it will remove blueing as well. Unless you want to keep the "patina" either way cleaned up and maybe a couple new parts should get the rifle back in shape!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It a neat old gun. Wether you decide to fix it depends on how you proceed and how much you are willing to spend. If you paid a Professional to do a full clean and repair from what I see your looking at $300.00 with parts and labor (This could be lower, Im just going by what you are describing and what I see).

If you fix it yourself it could cost you $100 and some elbow grease.

First thing is clean it really good but dont take it apart beyond field stripping. See if it fires and extracts (Single load it). If it fires then track down a feed tube and see if it will feed, if it dosent then some minor tweaks should be able to make it whole. This is just guessing though since I havent examined it.

n00b

Jul 21, 2010
    turns out this particular rifle has no sentimental value to my father. He has a shot gun that was passed down, which is more important to him. I think I'll be spending the $300 on something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom