Stevens Springfield 5100 Photos (even more)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    These are at various stages in the application of an oil stain and very light coats of Tru Oil (I think I used 5 or 6 coats). The last are the finished product. Yeah, I ruined the collector value but I'm happy with the result so far and didn't molest it too badly. :)

A Pachmayr Old English pad is on its way and I hope to get it sanded and installed ASAP, after which I'll call it done (assuming I don't screw up the stock while sanding the pad down). -WSJ

Attachments

• IMG_2288.jpg
      IMG_2288.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 161
    • IMG_2289.jpg
      IMG_2289.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 163
    • IMG_2291.jpg
      IMG_2291.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 160
    • IMG_2293.jpg
      IMG_2293.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 152
    • IMG_2295.jpg
      IMG_2295.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 150
    • IMG_2299.jpg
      IMG_2299.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 154

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    did you use steel wool or anything else to complete finish as last step. My tru-oil is shiny and I not sure I want it so shiny.

WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    did you use steel wool or anything else to complete finish as last step. My tru-oil is shiny and I not sure I want it so shiny.

I almost wipe the tru-oil on and off with the same rag - it's a VERY light coat. I do use steel wool between coats and after the final coat. For this step I use the 4-OOO super fine.

The final wipe (and the earlier coloring before the tru-oil) is with Old English Scratch Cover oil (dark walnut at Wally World). This is great stuff for guns without a polyurethane or epoxy-type finish. It fills the grain with oil-based stain and really helps bring out the figure when you finish with tru-oil (or, I presume, boiled linseed oil).

Don't be afraid to steel wool the tru-oil. At worst you can always start again! -WSJ

WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    These pics make me want to take my shotguns to upstate NY and have him refinish them.

Ha!! Thanks for the flattery, but I'm the rankest amateur on the planet! If you want to come up this way to have something refinished or restored, go see Doug Turnbull!

This gun had a pretty piece of wood from the start and just removing the old brittle, shiney factory finish was a major improvement that took no skill at all. And I did manage to screw up the recoil pad just this evening. My Pachmayr Old English pad (black) arrived today and I was anxious to get it on so I could show the gun to my cousins down in PA this weekend. Bad idea to hurry anything like that. I'll post picture if I get it straightened out, but at the moment it looks pretty slap-dash. The black pad does look good on it though, and also seems to bring out the dark highlights in the wood. I really want to finish up the pad and call it well done without resorting to the gunsmith. -WSJ

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Ha!! Thanks for the flattery, but I'm the rankest amateur on the planet! If you want to come up this way to have something refinished or restored, go see Doug Turnbull!

This gun had a pretty piece of wood from the start and just removing the old brittle, shiney factory finish was a major improvement that took no skill at all. And I did manage to screw up the recoil pad just this evening. My Pachmayr Old English pad (black) arrived today and I was anxious to get it on so I could show the gun to my cousins down in PA this weekend. Bad idea to hurry anything like that. I'll post picture if I get it straightened out, but at the moment it looks pretty slap-dash. The black pad does look good on it though, and also seems to bring out the dark highlights in the wood. I really want to finish up the pad and call it well done without resorting to the gunsmith. -WSJ

Maybe I'll come up that way to see another part of NY.....been to the city and my wife is from LI.....want to see the rest of the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom