• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Let's get some pistols back in the rotation - here's one of the more awkward-looking pistols from days gone by, the Steyr-Hahn Model 1911/1912. This one was for the Romanian Contract in 1914 and still has the crest intact. Most were captured and had the crest scrubbed off. This guy is still in remarkable shape and is original finish, all-matching, non-import - which is pretty unusual for a S-H in general, let alone a Romanian. The recoil system was pretty interesting, the barrel actually rotates as the slide is propelled backwards. The slide cross-lock and recoil spring system is very similar to the early Colt (1900-1905) but unlike the Colt, the slide is beefed up considerably around the slot. As a whole, a very robust design. Chambered for 9x23 m/m Steyr, not exactly a common round nowadays. Barrel shows that even firing corrosive ammo a just few times can make a mess. This is from the "what was I thinking!" portion of the collection.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      45.3 KB · Views: 2,239
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      44.6 KB · Views: 1,360
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      39.7 KB · Views: 1,115
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      52.4 KB · Views: 1,269
    • 9c.JPG
      9c.JPG
      44.6 KB · Views: 1,268
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      46.4 KB · Views: 1,328
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      54.9 KB · Views: 1,217
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      44.3 KB · Views: 1,350
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      50.8 KB · Views: 1,168

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i've been wanting to get one of those.
    have you ever fired it?

Jul 1, 2012
    i've been wanting to get one of those.
    have you ever fired it?

Nope. I had several "shooter grade" S-H's that I got rid of last year (and took it in the shorts). Ammo is out there but it's mostly corrosive. They're supposed to be pretty accurate but have heavy triggers and are a pain in the butt to load the internal magazine. The best bet is finding one that zee Germans reworked in WWII, chambered for 9mm Parabellum. These will have an "08" stamped on the left side of slide. These converted guns command a premium, even beat up mis-matched POS (think on the order of $800-$1500 depending on condition). A "standard" mis-match S-H will run $300-400, possibly less if you're lucky. A nice one, expect $600 or so depending on what it is. The Romanian and Commercial variants run quite a bit more, for instance.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Nope. I had several "shooter grade" S-H's that I got rid of last year (and took it in the shorts). Ammo is out there but it's mostly corrosive. They're supposed to be pretty accurate but have heavy triggers and are a pain in the butt to load the internal magazine. The best bet is finding one that zee Germans reworked in WWII, chambered for 9mm Parabellum. These will have an "08" stamped on the left side of slide. These converted guns command a premium, even beat up mis-matched POS (think on the order of $800-$1500 depending on condition). A "standard" mis-match S-H will run $300-400, possibly less if you're lucky. A nice one, expect $600 or so depending on what it is. The Romanian and Commercial variants run quite a bit more, for instance.

good to know.:thumbsup:

Jul 1, 2012
    Usually there are one or two crappy-condition S-H's on GB, but right now there's 3 interesting ones...

This one is actually a fairly desirable Bavarian contract gun (no "letter suffix" in the S/N, mfg 1916) with an interesting holster. Seller doesn't know what he has.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=417731939

And a German-modified gun (the nazi S-H's were pretty much exclusively police-issue). He wants an insane amount of $$ for it though. But the ammo pouch is pretty rare if I'm not mistaken, and the holster isn't all that common either. As a rig, maybe it's not that crazy, come to think of it.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=419554177

This is a rare Chilean contract (total of 5000). But one of the more common seen in US since they imported almost all 5000 into the States. This would be a super deal other than the large "9mm" stamped on the slide, and probably another import mark we can't see. Looks refinished too...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=419364877

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Beautiful!! I've been on the hunt for one of the German conversion S-H's recently, hoping I can find one in the reasonable price range in the near future (saw that one on GB the other day and although the accessories are nice, definitely a lot of $$$$).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Have a shooter grade 1912, refinished and mis-matched, that I bought many, many years ago for a pittance. Not even in the same league as the ones somd_mustangs has. Had to do some work to get it reliable (springs, FP and extractor) but it's not a bad shooter. Loads via stripper clips. Even have some Hirtenberger ammo for it.

Attachments

• IMGP7337.JPG
      IMGP7337.JPG
      56 KB · Views: 825
    Jul 1, 2012
    Some interesting details...

- the bluing process used left the inside of the slide "in the white" so if it's blued that is a dead giveaway that it has been refinished.

- The "Model 1911" has the front sight milled out, while the "Model 1912" has a separate blade staked in place

- Military-accepted guns will have proofs on the right trigger guard "W-n", "Eagle", "YY" where YY is the last two digits of year. Chilean contract, commercial will not.

- Commercial guns don't have all the little acceptance proofs, are generally higher quality finish, don't have a letter suffix in the S/N. These are pretty rare to encounter.

- Chilean Contract guns have a unique S/N system, in the form of
    1xxxA, 2xxxB, 3xxxC, etc. There were only 5000 made but they weren't sequential S/N's obviously.

- Bavarian Contract (1916 and 1918) don't have a letter suffix in the S/N.

Attachments

• 14b.jpg
      14b.jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 798
    • 14.JPG
      14.JPG
      49.7 KB · Views: 783
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 787
    • 13b.JPG
      13b.JPG
      45.1 KB · Views: 843
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      45.1 KB · Views: 797
    Jul 1, 2012
    Commercial Model 1911

This commercial model was made in 1912 to Model 1911 specs. It's late in the game and doesn't have the commercial address normally seen on the left side of slide. Note the lack of inspection and acceptance marks. Only the barrel has proof marks. This particular gun is like the proverbial piece of TP stuck to your shoe - I just can't shake it off despite numerous attempts to sell it, even though it's pretty rare. I got it from Kris Gasior's collection a while back (DHS victim).

Attachments

• cm1.JPG
      cm1.JPG
      48.8 KB · Views: 834
    • cm2.JPG
      cm2.JPG
      49.3 KB · Views: 809
    • cm3.JPG
      cm3.JPG
      50.6 KB · Views: 880
    • cm4.JPG
      cm4.JPG
      50.7 KB · Views: 748
    Jul 1, 2012
    Chilean Contract of 1912

Here's one of the Chilean Contract guns. As I mentioned these are one of the rarest variants at only 5000 made, but one of the more plentiful as almost all of them were imported into the US. This gun escaped the importer markings so is pretty unusual in it's own right. I did manage to sell this one at only a minimal loss. Note the crest on the left front, and the Chilean Army markings on right rear slide. Inspector markings of a shield outline are in evidence on the small parts, frame, slide, etc. No military acceptance marks on right trigger guard. You can also see how much of a difference direct vs. indirect lighting makes when doing the photo thing... these are in direct light of course, and the previous pics are over-exposed, indirect light which tends to show more issues with the finish (thinning, bare metal, etc). The actual color of the bluing is somewhere in between.

Attachments

• cc1.JPG
      cc1.JPG
      43.2 KB · Views: 870
    • cc2.JPG
      cc2.JPG
      49.5 KB · Views: 793
    • cc3.JPG
      cc3.JPG
      51.4 KB · Views: 756
    • cc4.JPG
      cc4.JPG
      50.2 KB · Views: 751

rockstarartist

I shoot like an android
    May 3, 2009
    Baltimore City
    Let's get some pistols back in the rotation - here's one of the more awkward-looking pistols from days gone by, the Steyr-Hahn Model 1911/1912. This one was for the Romanian Contract in 1914 and still has the crest intact. Most were captured and had the crest scrubbed off. This guy is still in remarkable shape and is original finish, all-matching, non-import - which is pretty unusual for a S-H in general, let alone a Romanian. The recoil system was pretty interesting, the barrel actually rotates as the slide is propelled backwards. The slide cross-lock and recoil spring system is very similar to the early Colt (1900-1905) but unlike the Colt, the slide is beefed up considerably around the slot. As a whole, a very robust design. Chambered for 9x23 m/m Steyr, not exactly a common round nowadays. Barrel shows that even firing corrosive ammo a just few times can make a mess. This is from the "what was I thinking!" portion of the collection.
    Beautiful Pistol. I love coming across these unknown to me historic pistols.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Have a shooter grade 1912, refinished and mis-matched, that I bought many, many years ago for a pittance. Not even in the same league as the ones somd_mustangs has. Had to do some work to get it reliable (springs, FP and extractor) but it's not a bad shooter. Loads via stripper clips. Even have some Hirtenberger ammo for it.

I just bought one of these on GB and noticed that there is a "K" stamp on the slide, hammer, frame and lever. Yours has this as well. Any idea of the significance? Thanks.

Edit: never mind. I see that it's the 'K' (Kontroll) inspection stamp.

Last edited:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I just bought one of these on GB and noticed that there is a "K" stamp on the slide, hammer, frame and lever. Yours has this as well. Any idea of the significance? Thanks.

The "K" marking is one of the small parts proofs for the Steyr factory. You'll see them on most Austro-Hungarian arms made there, the Budapest factory used an "R" stamping instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom