• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I need to refinish a stock on a Pawn Shop gun that I picked up today. Not really worried about seeing the wood grain on the finished stock. I was planning on using wood filler to fill in the gouges (someone tried carving words on the stock).

My question is what can I use for a finish that would hide to wood filler?

In the end I'm just looking for clean looking functional rifle that will not cost a fortune to finish.

Any ideas?

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Sand down, fill deep groves, sand with fine grit, spray with base paint, sand very fine, do several coats with spray paint, put clear lacquer on top

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Go to rimfirecentral.com and do a search for stock refinishing. You will get lots of ideas and help. Unless the wood is really bad I wouldn't paint it. You can probably use the sanding dust to fill in as you go along for a good match.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Yes this stock is a basket case. The only good thing is that still has it's shape. After filler & paint this could come out looking OK.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    What kind of gun? Might be worth your time to go to Gunparts and see what a replacement runs. Go to the "Find Parts" menu then in the "select catagory" window, scroll all the way to the bottom for "Stocks/Forends/Handguards." If you're okay with fill, sand, paint it may be wise to make sure your filler is waterproof before going too far.

Also, some pretty deep nasty dents and gouges can be amazingly raised with steam. A wet rag and a clothes iron is all you need. Missing chunks of wood are still missing however.:innocent0

Wolfmetalfab

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy
    if the plan is a beater range gun, filler, primer coat, then rattle can spray bed liner. Would give it a pretty tough grippy finish, if you keep the spray distance short it will give you a light texture...

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The stock was stripped tonight and the gouges did not seam that deep.

Lightly sanded the stock and the letters gouged into the stock disappeared. Just one deep straight gouge left in the stock. This 65 year old single shot .22 with all the dings, the long deep gouge does not look all that bad.

I am currently dyeing the stock a deep purple as it was bought to be used in the junior's program I work with. Not sure what type of varnish I have on the shelf but that will next weeks job.

Thanks for the help.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I miss the days when FPS would've lit you up with pictures of fat chicks. What gun is it? They're not various proof markings on an old milsurp are they?

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Get the 2 part wood filler that is like Bondo. Sand the stock, including sanding out the boogers. fill the boogers a little 'proud' of the stock. Sand to shape when dry.Stain the stock. The filler should be lighter and grainless at this point. Cut off 1/2 the length of the bristles on a 1" chip brush. Bugger the hell out of the bristles on a cinderblock wall. Use the nasty brush to 'grain' on the filler with the glop of stain from the top off the can. You can wipe the fresh 'grain right off with a rag so you get as many chances to get right as you need. When you like it, let it dry a few days before applying finish. Further matching can be done with a dark finish.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    1949 production date Remington bolt action 514 rimfire.

It was missing sights but I was going to put aperture sights on it anyway. The blueing is more brown then blue. Winter project to refinish all the metal.

Gun shot nice tight groups with borrowed sights.

It just needs a quick make over so I can get it into the hands of all the new Juniors that joined our Junior's Team this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom