• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • e40bib

Feb 13, 2011
    I am buying my son his own shotgun for his birthday in June. He shoots a lot of clays, Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays he also hunts geese and some ducks. I wanted to get him a gun that he can use for anything and keep forever, so I wanted 2 ¾ to 3 ½ I had pretty much decided on Benelli, but today I looked at a Stoeger I was told they are made by Benelli with the same parts? The price is $1900.00 vs. $600.00! That’s a huge difference! Can anyone give me an honest review of Stoeger?

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Egggghhhhh. Be careful! Just because Beneilli bought Stoeger doesn't mean the quality of the low end Stoeger O/U's are anywhere near that of most "B"average shotguns.

The Condor (STF3000)? are hit and miss with quality. I bought two at Dicks, one had to go back to even remotely function properly, the other is still sporadic at best.

I know money always drives things,....BUT, if you truly want a quality (lifetime) stick, you'll need tomaintain be up in the higher price range with a Browning, Beretta, Benelli.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sorry, I only have experience with the REALLY cheap Stoeger model. I can't speak on their autos, except to say....they ain't no Benelli...

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a stoeger Semi Auto 3" shotty.... I primarily use it for waterfowl... Excellent weapon IMHO and well worth saving the cash. it is the Model 2000 with waterfowl camo.

I have dropped some ducks at about 60-65 yards... Great gun for the money. As much as I hate Bass Pro for their pricing, that is where it came from...

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I am buying my son his own shotgun for his birthday in June. He shoots a lot of clays, Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays he also hunts geese and some ducks. I wanted to get him a gun that he can use for anything and keep forever, so I wanted 2 ¾ to 3 ½ I had pretty much decided on Benelli, but today I looked at a Stoeger I was told they are made by Benelli with the same parts? The price is $1900.00 vs. $600.00! That’s a huge difference! Can anyone give me an honest review of Stoeger?

Are you looking at O/Us or semi-autos?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I had a condor and didn't like it. I did somewhat recently buy a stoeger 2000 SA and it's shot fine (even with remington gun club which is notorious for feeding issues in semi-autos).

I don't know about durability because it's had less than 500 down the pipe. So far so good though. The beretta 390's are a good buy for $600.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I'm not sure about the "forever" caveat in there but I've got a stoeger condo O/U and a Remmy 870 that I use for trap and skeet... never had a problem. *shrugs*

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I use the Stoeger o/u Condor for my shotgun classes. I bought it from Dick's several years ago and it has been verty reliable. My stepson loved it and shot his best trap scores with it (average 21 out of 25 with it ymmv).

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Agree also look at the rem 1100 or 1187

I don't think you can go wrong with that advice.

Still, I could swear a couple years ago GunTests gave high marks to a Stoeger SA. Don't recall the model.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    For the cost of a Stoeger, you can find a used 1100 Remington Wingmaster and have decades of fine shooting.

If you have the money, a decent Beretta is an excellent choice.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    A Corvette and a Chevette were both made by GM. I don't think I would drive a Chevette and don't think I would shoot a Stoeger.

e40bib

Feb 13, 2011
    if you want to go heavy 3 1/2 to light 2 3/4 Beretta would be my choice.

Does Beretta make a shotgun that goes 2 3/4 to 3 1/2?

I have an 870 Wingmaster that I got as a kid, that's what he shoots now. I will never get rid of that gun. The only problem is it's not enough for geese where my 3 1/2 knocks them right out. That's why I wanted to give him a gun he can do everything with.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Does Beretta make a shotgun that goes 2 3/4 to 3 1/2?

I have an 870 Wingmaster that I got as a kid, that's what he shoots now. I will never get rid of that gun. The only problem is it's not enough for geese where my 3 1/2 knocks them right out. That's why I wanted to give him a gun he can do everything with.

Extrema

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom