• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    I decided to use my wife's Food Saver vacuum sealer to store some 50 Beowulf.:innocent0

Attachments

• bagofbeo.jpg
      bagofbeo.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 464

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Only issue I see is , how hard to get em out in a hurry ??

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    My question would be what kind of plastic is used for the bag, and what life expectancy it has. Over time certain plastics will somewhat melt and leave a film on what they were in contact with.

Some coin collectors kept coins in PVC plastic sleeves, which ended up corroding and gumming up the coins. Given that both coins and cartridge casings are metallic, I would wonder whether long term contact between the plastic and the cartridge casing would be a problem.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    What's wrong with ammo cans?
    BTW the food saver bags can break down a loose the vaccum after some time. I have had some, not much, go south in the freezer because the bag lost its seal.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My question would be what kind of plastic is used for the bag, and what life expectancy it has. Over time certain plastics will somewhat melt and leave a film on what they were in contact with.

Some coin collectors kept coins in PVC plastic sleeves, which ended up corroding and gumming up the coins. Given that both coins and cartridge casings are metallic, I would wonder whether long term contact between the plastic and the cartridge casing would be a problem.

They are most definitely food grade bags, so no PVC. I imagine they will last as long as you will.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a few concerns. How difficult is it to open the bag? Do you need a knife or a pair of scissors to open it? Secondly, I know the bags a food safe, but do you know if it is safe for the brass and lead? Any chance of a chemical reaction?

One last question, what happened to the original boxes the ammo came in?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    They sell them as sams for less than most places. Cant remember how mucj tho. I got one for the wife a year ago

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    About $110ish for the sealer but you will need extra bags. I use mine ALOT for bulk meat and in the sous vide.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    OK OK, time for full on thread jack here - how much was yer sous vide setup?! That's my first reason to get a sealer.

I bought my son one for Christmas 4 years ago and I paid something near $500 for it. A good one is going to cost you that much.

He loves to use his. He's since gotten married and he uses it to cook at least 50% of their meals. He does a pork tenderloin and then puts it on the grill to finish it off. It really is a great way to cook.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    OK OK, time for full on thread jack here - how much was yer sous vide setup?! That's my first reason to get a sealer.

This is the one that I have, basic but best value for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...5nftoswg49_e&gclid=CMnr1JL2o84CFQMmhgodq38AGA

I use mine ALOT, especially with young kids....never know when your actually going to sit down to eat. Salmon and lobster are my favorite meats. Steaks cooked at 129 and chicken at 145 are so tender, just finish on the grill and done.

You have to plan ahead of time, example steak can take 1.5 hours vs 15mins of the grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom