• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I got my first mosin this Christmas. I got 'er all cleaned up and I thought I might share some pictures. Can't wait to get her to the range!

She's a little dinged up on the handguard, and the receiver ain't all that shiny, but all the numbers match except the bayonet and the bore looks very good (to me) indeed.

Now I gotta buy a bunch of ammo for it, which is a quality problem to have!

Attachments

• mymosin.jpg
      mymosin.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 228
    • closeup1-small.jpg
      closeup1-small.jpg
      42.5 KB · Views: 222
    • closeup4-small.jpg
      closeup4-small.jpg
      32.3 KB · Views: 219
    • closeup5-small.jpg
      closeup5-small.jpg
      86 KB · Views: 223
    • closeup3.jpg
      closeup3.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 220

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    A fine looking Mosin!

What did you use to clean it with? I usually start off using a steam cleaner to get off all the cosmoline.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    A fine looking Mosin!

What did you use to clean it with? I usually start off using a steam cleaner to get off all the cosmoline.

Well, I didn't have to clean that much, really. My wife talked to a buddy of mine who did a *lot* of pre cleaning so it'd look pretty good on Christmas day. There was some cosmo in the bore, though I could see rifling and in the receiver and on the bolt. I took the wood off, used hot water in the bore and such then dried it out thoroughly, put it all back together and cleaned/oiled as normal. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't have to do any serious battle with the cosmo blob monster :)

Serisously, it took me longer to get the cosmo off the accessories than the rifle.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well, I didn't have to clean that much, really. My wife talked to a buddy of mine who did a *lot* of pre cleaning so it'd look pretty good on Christmas day. There was some cosmo in the bore, though I could see rifling and in the receiver and on the bolt. I took the wood off, used hot water in the bore and such then dried it out thoroughly, put it all back together and cleaned/oiled as normal. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't have to do any serious battle with the cosmo blob monster :)

Serisously, it took me longer to get the cosmo off the accessories than the rifle.

When I bought mine, it was the same experience. I paid more than most folks for the rifle, but I figured it was worth it not having to deal with the cosmo monster.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish

You might want to still bring a rag or something similar to clean up cosmo when you take it out to shoot it. I bought mine at a gunshow already fairly cleaned up, and I cleaned it up more myself when I got it home. It was lookin' great, but as soon as I took it to the range and it heated up, more cosmoline would start seeping out of the wood and from all the nooks and crannies that are hard to get to. An old undershirt makes quick work of it though :)

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Hey don't feel bad about not getting the full cosmoline experience. It ain't all that fun anyway. Like said above, take a rag to the range first couple times. I spent a long time melting the cosomline out of mine, and it still seeps a little around the hand guard when the barrel heats up. Go shoot the snot out of it. I wish your shoulder well...:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom