• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    sorry for this stupid question. Is it true that i need an hql to purchase a stripped lower for a rifle build ? I called an ip today to check availability and was told i would need an hql to purchase then wait the seven days. fyi I do have several pistols, but all bought prior to hql requirement.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    Only need an hql if you are building a pistol out of it. I do wonder if you could just say your going to build a pistol out of it so you have the option on all of them, and then decide to go the rifle route.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Some FFLs are requiring an HQL for lowers dedicated to 9mm or pistol calibers (e.g. AR lowers that take dedicated Glock mags, or actual glock lowers) out of an abundance of BGOS, because the assumption is that these will become pistols. Possibly instigated by the MDSP.

Otherwise, no HQL for a stripped lower.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    My understanding from a thread I started last week was if you are undecided on what the lower will become then it is declared an 'other' and after the regulation PPW comes back and you receive the lower you can use that purchase for the 'own regulated firearm' clause on the HQL application.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Some FFLs are requiring an HQL for lowers dedicated to 9mm or pistol calibers (e.g. AR lowers that take dedicated Glock mags, or actual glock lowers) out of an abundance of BGOS, because the assumption is that these will become pistols. Possibly instigated by the MDSP.

...and for the record, dedicated 9mm and any other pistol caliber lowers are cash and carry. No wait. No HQL.

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    My understanding from a thread I started last week was if you are undecided on what the lower will become then it is declared an 'other' and after the regulation PPW comes back and you receive the lower you can use that purchase for the 'own regulated firearm' clause on the HQL application.

So I would think if you already have an hql, you couldn't go wrong going this route? I mean could you not have a pistol as well as a rifle upper for it and switch them out whenever you want?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    ...and for the record, dedicated 9mm and any other pistol caliber lowers are cash and carry. No wait. No HQL.

Will depend on the FFL. The 77r does not make a distinction between different types of lower receivers... which some are interpreting as all lowers. Some FFLS are as infected as some members with BGOS.

My recollection is that Engage started a lawsuit around this and other things like SBRs, but I dont think its been resolved.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    So I would think if you already have an hql, you couldn't go wrong going this route? I mean could you not have a pistol as well as a rifle upper for it and switch them out whenever you want?

The law states, if it is to be a pistol, it must be a pistol originally. So I always start a lower out is a pistol(very easy to do). At that point, you can go back and forth from, pistol to rifle, any time you want. Just be sure you don't bring a pistol out with a rifle stock on it. That would be bad. :nono:

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    The law states, if it is to be a pistol, it must be a pistol originally. So I always start a lower out is a pistol(very easy to do). At that point, you can go back and forth from, pistol to rifle, any time you want. Just be sure you don't bring a pistol out with a rifle stock on it. That would be bad. :nono:

Ok, thanks for clearing things up. I didn't have an hql for my last 2 builds but for the rest of them, I will just do the paperwork for it as if it were a pistol build. Just gives you more options, and its kind of a "why not?"

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Will depend on the FFL. The 77r does not make a distinction between different types of lower receivers... which some are interpreting as all lowers. Some FFLS are as infected as some members with BGOS.

My recollection is that Engage started a lawsuit around this and other things like SBRs, but I dont think its been resolved.

I think this had more to do with standard stripped lowers(Multi) and not dedicated PCC lowers along with AR 10 lowers.

I've bought several PCC lowers and never had to wait nor 77r them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Only need an hql if you are building a pistol out of it. I do wonder if you could just say your going to build a pistol out of it so you have the option on all of them, and then decide to go the rifle route.

No, nope, nada, wrong. You do not need to have an HQL to buy any stripped lower. There is no mandate that says this.

A stripped lower isn't considered a handgun or a long gun. It is classified as "Other".

Steelersfan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 28, 2013
    No, nope, nada, wrong. You do not need to have an HQL to buy any stripped lower. There is no mandate that says this.

A stripped lower isn't considered a handgun or a long gun. It is classified as "Other".

Not what multiple dealers have told me. I was always asked my intention for the lower. If it was to build an ar pistol, i needed my hql, if not, i didn't. In the end it doesn't matter how you interpret it. If your dealer says you need the hql, you either need it or go somewhere else.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Then I'd suggest they find another FFL. This crap has got to stop. We are restricting ourselves when dealers do stupid stuff like this. Some time ago, I wanted to buy a 9mm lower built with a buttstock. The dealer filled out the paper as a rifle and I stopped him. I told him it's not a rifle until I build it into a rifle. Until such time it's classified as an Other. He called the SP and they confirmed my story He said he has sold 20 or more and all were classified as a rifle. Some thing goes with a stripped lower. The dealer can't know what I'm building so he must classify it as an Other.

When the dealers don't know our own laws, we are hurting. It's bad enough the state takes away our rights and now the dealers screw up things too.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Then I'd suggest they find another FFL. This crap has got to stop. We are restricting ourselves when dealers do stupid stuff like this.

Dealers are not necessarily being stupid. The legal bills just to prove your right far outstrip the profits from the fees on some lowers someone found online. And takes years. A lot of dealers already are targets of City or County councils and dont need another battle to fight. I'd like to say I blame them for not fighting every battle and trying to minimize proctology exams, but I dont.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Dealers are not necessarily being stupid. The legal bills just to prove your right far outstrip the profits from the fees on some lowers someone found online. And takes years. A lot of dealers already are targets of City or County councils and dont need another battle to fight. I'd like to say I blame them for not fighting every battle and trying to minimize proctology exams, but I dont.

Do you know what the law requires? Does your FFL know what the law requires? Then there shouldn't be a problem. If your FFL doesn't know the law, then I recommend you find another FFL. Plan and simple.

Show me anywhere in Maryland law that says a 9mm or any pistol based stripped lower is considered a handgun and requires an HQL to make a purchase.

Show me anywhere in Maryland law that differentiates one stripped lower from another. Please.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not what multiple dealers have told me. I was always asked my intention for the lower. If it was to build an ar pistol, i needed my hql, if not, i didn't. In the end it doesn't matter how you interpret it. If your dealer says you need the hql, you either need it or go somewhere else.

No HQL required for a stripped AR15 lower, no matter what you plan to build out of it. It transfers as "other". You build a rifle out of it (HBAR), you build a SBR out of it (with appropriate stamp) or you build a pistol out of it. Your choice, your decision and it doesn't concern the FFL one bit which route you take.

hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    sorry if i stirred this up. new at posting, old at reading . if you want the ip, i would be happy to share , but i don't want to bash an ip . it may just have been wrong info from the (what seemed like middle aged woman ) that answered the phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom