• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyTwinz

Nov 18, 2012
    MoCo
    Try here:
    http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/poor-man-strop-kit

I just received mine in the mail a few days ago along with my straight razor.
    Very happy with what I got for the money. And Larry is excellent to deal with. Returns emails quite quickly. An example: My package was ripped open(USPS)and the badger hair brush & shave soap were missing. Emailed Larry told him what happened. 25 min later got a reply that a new set were on the way and he was very sorry for the inconvenience. Worth a look. Also check out his honing feedback service. For $7 he'll send you a straight razor, you hone it, send it back to him (within 2 weeks) and he'll give you feedback on your honing. Now it's not the type of blade your nessecarily working with, but it may translate into what your trying to accomplish. Good luck.

Stevel Knievel

Feb 6, 2013
    The Universe
    I have a couple Tony Miller strops. and Maryland resident.

I am a professional barber. I can personally vouch for the importance of stropping a razor. I imagine it would also improve the edge on a knife. I have a horsehide Tony Miller strop that I use at my shop. It is top quality and Tony is a nice guy. Most of the strops available online are crap. Maybe you could grab one at an antique store if you don't want to drop some serious cash for a good one.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Strops for knives must be backed on a sharpening board. Do not use a "loose"straight razor strop. It will round the edge and decrease sharpness. A paddle strop is what you want for knives. Also, keep in mind that different thickness's of leather will be needed for different edges. V edges require a thin leather paddle strop. Convex edges require a thicker leather on the strop. If you attempt to sharpen a v edge on too thick of leather, it will only make contact with the shoulder not the edge. Something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom