• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • opticman

9mm EyeDoctor
    Sep 30, 2009
    I'm beginning to wonder if anyone manufactures this. Anyone have any experiencing creating these? I have a SBR with suppressor (waiting on tax stamps) and would like to try it.

Optic

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What would be the point? In order to get .223, which usually runs 2700+ fps, down to approximately 1120 fps would kind of defeat the purpose of that round.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Uh. This...

Adam, of LWRC fame, makes a great demonstration of what will happen using sub loads in your AR.

Interesting, but the lack of function kinda speaks for itself.

223 Subsonic Loads...

Now 300BLK, that's what I'M talkin' about!

CHeers,

Doc

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greetings, like your avatar.

Agreed, what makes the tiny .223 (5.56) effective, is that it's screaming fast. Taking that away puts you back in .22LR land, so not worth the effort and expense for most applications; but in a pinch, is possible.

On the other hand, 300BLK is nice and heavy round that performs well at subsonic speeds.

I guess I just essentially repeated what others are saying. I haven't seen any subsonic .223, regular 5.56 just now becoming widely available at decent prices again.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just a thought, but are we positive that the OP wants to use these sub-sonic .223 loads in an AR, and not a silenced bolt gun?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Subsonic loads are problematic in an AR. I have yet to see them cycle the action. You end up with a quiet single shot.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just a thought, but are we positive that the OP wants to use these sub-sonic .223 loads in an AR, and not a silenced bolt gun?
    D-oh! I just realized that the OP DID in fact say what rifle he intended to use - an SBR with a silencer.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    D-oh! I just realized that the OP DID in fact say what rifle he intended to use - an SBR with a silencer.

In all fairness "SBR" describes nothing but barrel length or OAL. Lots of non-AR SBRs. He could have a SBR bolt gun.

LOL .223 subsonic = 22LR:) Never thought of it that way. You can get 223 pills up to ~75gr. 22LR is 40gr. So a subsonic 223 would have almost 2x the energy of subsonic 22LR which would put it in the ballpark of supersonic 22LR. Good comparison!

garrett

Sep 2, 2013
    Western MD
    Do not have any experience with sub sonic 223, but I am shooting a sub sonic 243. Shooting 1100 fps with a Nosler 95 gn partition bullet. Using "Trail Boss" powder.
    It shoots remarkably well. 50 yard, 3 shot groups touch each other. I figure it to be a 100 yard gun.
    I own some land and have antlerless permits. So I use this set up. Never had a head shot take a step.
    Pretty cool to shoot also, sounds about like a 22 rimfire going off.

Damn thing did cost me a chrony though. Perfect shot right thru the readout.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have a 50 rd box of commercial subsonic .223 that I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Probaby off of GB. It is very quiet out of the AR with my AAC M4-2000 can. But as others have noted, it really isn't anything more than a .22LR round. Its a 50gr bullet going 1000 FPS.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    there was a company that made them, ebr or ebt or something like that. I ll have to check my bullet locker. That being said the would not cycle the action, you could see the bullet exit the barrel , and the range was not much, but the were quiet. Not worth the money if you ask me, but expensive fun for plinking.
    JW

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a 50 rd box of commercial subsonic .223 that I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Probaby off of GB. It is very quiet out of the AR with my AAC M4-2000 can. But as others have noted, it really isn't anything more than a .22LR round. Its a 50gr bullet going 1000 FPS.

Will it cycle the AR?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You COULD make an AR cycle it. Open up gas port, light buffer and spring. But then you would damage the rifle if you fired standard loads.

Better to do .22LR upper or conversion kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom