• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Disclaimer: Do not use this as load data. This not from a pressure tested and published source. Purely for entertainment purposes and discussion.

I got my hands on some Vihtavuori N120 and 250 gr Hornady SUB-X bullets. The goal was to come up with a subsonic load that would cycle my AR15. It is a 13.5" barrel with pistol gas and suppressor.

357 Maximum has some data for 200 gr bullets and N120. 357 Max is very close to Legend in case capacity. However, a 250 gr bullet is quite a bit different than a 200 gr.

Hornady has some data for 350 Legend and the 250 gr, but no N120

With no data, but some anecdotes about N120 being case capacity limited rather than pressure limited (for this application, not in general), I decided to forge ahead.

I estimated that ~16.0 gr is the max you can fit in a case with a seated bullet. Decided to start at 10.0 gr. I don't have a good reason for that starting point.

Anyways here's what I got.

10.0 gr was too low. Interestingly, the powder seemed to ignite and burn clean though clearly things didn't get rolling until north of 11.0 gr. N120 is a stick powder which I suspect makes it behave better. I stopped at 16.0 gr because they started going supersonic. No idea what the pressures were but never observed any pressure signs to include primer signs, and or extrusion into the extractor pocket. Haven't loaded the cases yet to see if the primers pockets are still tight, but I suspect they are.

Hopefully Hornady or somebody tests this powder in the future.

350 Legend 13.5_ Barrel  250gr Sub-X  N120_WolfSR_Starline .png

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Disclaimer: Do not use this as load data. This not from a pressure tested and published source. Purely for entertainment purposes and discussion.

I got my hands on some Vihtavuori N120 and 250 gr Hornady SUB-X bullets. The goal was to come up with a subsonic load that would cycle my AR15. It is a 13.5" barrel with pistol gas and suppressor.

357 Maximum has some data for 200 gr bullets and N120. 357 Max is very close to Legend in case capacity. However, a 250 gr bullet is quite a bit different than a 200 gr.

With no data, but some anecdotes about N120 being case capacity limited rather than pressure limited (for this application, not in general), I decided to forge ahead.

I estimated that ~16.0 gr is the max you can fit in a case with a seated bullet. Decided to start at 10.0 gr. I don't have a good reason for that starting point.

10.0 gr was too low. Interestingly, the powder seemed to ignite and burn clean though clearly things didn't get rolling until north of 11.0 gr. N120 is a stick powder which I suspect makes it behave better. I stopped at 16.0 gr because they started going supersonic. No idea what the pressures were but never observed any pressure signs to include primer signs, and or extrusion into the extractor pocket. Haven't loaded the cases yet to see if the primers pockets are still tight, but I suspect they are.

View attachment 393858

And of course we know what you really did was START at 16g and ENDED at 10g, like we all do when safely testing sub-sonic loads..

:innocent0

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

View attachment 393858

At what load did the gun function properly
    Thanks

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I didn’t record that. Would be an interesting data point. It did start locking open well below where I stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom