Suggestion for an optic - AR-15, 5.56/.223, 20", 100-600yds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Hey all,

With my first AR-15 build functionally proven-in at the range, all that's left is a scope. Intent has been for precision, 200 yards at AGC, up to what, 600 max (if I could find a range for that), but most likely 200-400. If I was to dabble in 3-gun (I know, little big and heavy for that), I'm thinking a LPVO is the way to go. I'm thinking a Vortex SFP 1x8 with their BDC3 reticle would do nicely, but wanted to seek some opinions. Any other suggestions - on this scope or others? Reticle recommendations? Any other nits I should know about when ordering/mounting a scope?

Thanks,

Mike

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    vortex razor 2hd 1-6 is very popular in 2 & 3 gun, that's what i use (bdc jm reticle) in matches out to 5-600 yds and my rec, or of course a stronger version that still goes to 1x.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have the Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 - VMR-2 MOA and am very happy with it. Great for near dusk conditions when the range is about ready to close late in the year.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I like the Primary Arms 1-8×24 with ACSS Raptor reticle for 5.56. Available in FFP or SFP versions. I also have a small canted reflex sight mounted.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have a vortex pst 1-4 and a trijicon 1-8 accupower (now called a credo). Both will do the job. I hate BDC reticles so the only one I have is in an original ACOG. My lpvos can both be dialed or held on reticle. I rarely run my lpvos below 2x but I shoot a lot of magnified optics so consider that somewhat abnormal. Most guys roll down to true 1x.

I shoot different ammo, depending, so I don't like being tied to an bdc. Was testing some 62 gold dots in the gun with the 1-8 on it today. It normally runs 77gr MK262Mod1 clone loads so I just dialed the offset and shot the gold dots on reticle to 500.

20230930_131122.jpg

Four shots to check kestrel data from 165yds walking out to 500. Fifth shot went into a water box (recovered bullet depicted).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom