Suggestion to Buy or Build a Rimfire for cheap...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Hey Guys,

I know its 2am in the morning and I am drunk :beer::beer: at this moment but I gotta ask this. after owning Several AR15, One SAR3 (ak47) and couple of handguns, but i dont have the ulitmiate thing...the .22LR Rifle !

Just wanted your input on what you would do, I am looking at this Bass Pro Shop that is having a sale at this moment and I thought I would grab that Rifle and go home with it on the same day (am I right, no 7 day BS waiting). I wanted to build a rifle that will look like that that I just posted below. I know I will need to replace the stock which I don’t have any problem.

The only thing that I can see is that the Barrel is something I would need to do. I kept hearing about that Wally World Special but I don’t see it on Wal-Mart website unless it’s some other website that I don’t know about.

If you have any suggestions for the price of $300 or less for the rifle that I can build with the whole package but I would have to order a Lower that will need to go to a FFL, I thought buying it from bass pro would save my cost and sell off the parts and replace those with the Lower that I got...I could buy my barrel from the gunshow in dulls in End of July ...

again, excuse my grammer right now, Im pretty wasted :) but I gotta have this :party29:

Attachments

• likethis.jpg
      likethis.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 299

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's an easy build with a Ruger 10/22 platform like you show, and you're right, no 7-day wait on those. Get a basic 10/22, add a bull barrel (barrels on the 10/22 are really easy to do), plenty of aftermarket stocks out there already cut for the barrel, top of the receiver is already tapped for a scope mount, and you've got exactly what you want. Plus you can turn around and sell the leftover OEM barrel and stock for a few extra bucks. :) Hope this helps.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    OR....

You could build a really cool .22lr AR........

For example buy an HBAR and an extra upper/mag for the .22 conversion and then there is no paperwork and you have an extra upper to keep/sell etc

Falkus

Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Thanks for the idea but I just realized that I have a .22 upper that I never use but i just have it in my safe but i rather to stick with a .22lr rifle and build one. I might go ahead and get one of those from bass pro and just go from there but i wont be going there until saturday evening.

However, I wanted to know how hard is it to find a receiver if i want to build something. i think i saw it for 50 bucks before but i would need to do a transfer thing which is going to be a pain in the ass..unless i can find a local gun pawn shop that has one of those for 100 bucks or less for the .22 rifles.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'm also looking for a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless bull barrel. Does anyone know if they sell these at Bass Pro or do they just have the standard model? There are plenty on Gunbroker and the like but I'd rather not pay the FFL fees if I can cash & carry.
    124L.jpg

Last edited:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm also looking for a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless bull barrel. Does anyone know if they sell these at Bass Pro or do they just have the standard model? There are plenty on Gunbroker and the like but I'd rather not pay the FFL fees if I can cash & carry.

I've seen them at Bass Pro, but I don't think they keep them in stock all the time.

The guys down at Delmarva had one for sale. They're a little high on the gun prices though, and I don't know if they'll haggle any.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One word of advice if you are building an "ultimate" 10/22:

A great many of the aftermarket bull barrels have Bentz and similar tight chambers that like to be fed nothing but target ammo. So, if you're thinking about doing cheap plinking on the weekend with $1.99 Walmart special ammo you may be disappointed.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    One word of advice if you are building an "ultimate" 10/22:

A great many of the aftermarket bull barrels have Bentz and similar tight chambers that like to be fed nothing but target ammo. So, if you're thinking about doing cheap plinking on the weekend with $1.99 Walmart special ammo you may be disappointed.
    I've got two custom barrelled 10-22s and the Bentz chambers don't give me any accuracy or reliability problems with non-target (or cheap) ammo, but I do occasionally get failures to extract an unfired round, since the bullet gets heavily engraved upon chambering and the extractors will ride up over the small radius present on the case rim.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've got two custom barrelled 10-22s and the Bentz chambers don't give me any accuracy or reliability problems with non-target (or cheap) ammo, but I do occasionally get failures to extract an unfired round, since the bullet gets heavily engraved upon chambering and the extractors will ride up over the small radius present on the case rim.

I wasn't implying any accuracy problems but FTF, extraction and even premature detonations.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    10-4. I've definitely had FTEs with live ammo, but pop the cartridge out with my small pocketknife. I've never had a problem with feeding, ejection or slam-fires during normal operation.

I have heard a caution about using CCI Stingers, with their long cases, in match chambers, but have never used them.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I bought a standard cheapie
    10/22 $180
    20" green mountain bull barrel $ 88
    tac solutions scope mount 1 piece $ 30
    BSA 4.5-14x40 mil-dot scope $ 90
    Christies jumbo cocking handle $ 8
    Butler creek stock $ 50

grand total $446

It shoots 10 shot groups in approx an inch at 100 yards, and the vermin hate it. Definitely a fun plinker, but I'm already looking at more goodies for it, but, I have to find a way to control myself with an AR build on the horizon. I've shot CCI mini-mags, rem. thunderbolts, sub-sonic, cb caps, cci stingers and all other assorted ammo, with no problems. I put over 1200 rounds through it in one day at the last group shoot.

Check out www.rimfirecentral.com for lots of good vendors and knowledge.

Falkus

Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    wow, I didn't expect that many reply on this thread. I appericated it and i think I have decided to get the one from bass pro and buy off some parts as time goes, I might end up getting a new stock and barrel to make it look more bad ass...

I thought that no one would look into this rimfire but i was totally wrong ;)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I thought that no one would look into this rimfire but i was totally wrong ;)

Rimfire rifles are about the coolest thing going. I love my CZ452 and it will hit a clay on the 200 yard berm with open sights if I do my part.

I've been toying with the idea of building up a 10/22 but want to get my hands on a receiver with no gun attached.

EShell's link was out of stock :( so I may have to wat until they get some more or I can come across a cheap gun that I don't feel so bad ripping apart.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    If you dont' care about being semi auto and want a major plinker. Get a 77/22 by Ruger. Get the bull barrel and you are going to get a amazing rig. Bolt action but obiously short stroke being 22lr.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    If you dont' care about being semi auto and want a major plinker. Get a 77/22 by Ruger. Get the bull barrel and you are going to get a amazing rig. Bolt action but obiously short stroke being 22lr.

I think I would one up that and get the .17HMR. I couldnt believe the accuracy of one of those little 17s and the power beheind it. One day I'll stumble accross a few hundred bucks and actually buy one.

Edit: .17HMR = more pricey to shoot than any .22, thats the only downfall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom