• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    Two of the females I work with want to buy their first handguns for CCW in VA and back home in their gun friendly home-states. So I'm asking y'all, what's a good, slim semi-auto in 9mm or some other easy to handle caliber? (no offense ladies, these girls are kinda petite) I don't have too much experience with handguns intended for CCW, especially for female sized hands.....:D One of the girls wants to keep it around $300-$400 and the other wants to keep it under $800.(she likes Sigs:party29:) Then I guess I'll just have to teach them to shoot............:D:innocent0

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    My wife was partial to the SIG239 when she shot one. I really want her to try the new SIG250 though.

The Kahr's are very nice.

If the ladies like the Glock style gun, there are a ton of offerings from SW M+P, Springfield XD and of course Glock.

OTOH, my wife can handle a full size 1911 one-handed for bullseye shooting. She just can't reach all of the controls on a gun that size for defensive purposes.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Glock offers all of their compact and full-size guns in the "C" or compensated versions that come with the ported barrels and slides already installed. I think they only run around $25 more (wholesale) than the stock versions.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It depends quite a bit on method of carry.

A specialty CCW purse allows most full sized pistols, summer carry IWB under a light vest would rule out most anything bigger than a PPK or LCP.

For an all around great CCW pistol, it is hard to beat the standard crop of Glock/M&P/XD, a little more gets you a SIG 239 DAK, all of which are decent for smaller hands, and fairly simple to learn with.

I would steer clear of anything DA/SA or "cocked and locked" SAO. This would go for most any new shooter. I would also avoid porting, it keeps the muzzle down during rapid fire, but doesn't cut recoil much, and the extra noise and flash are not good for a defensive pistol IMO. take them to the range and let them try out a couple to see what fits.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Sig 239

I have a 9mm version with the Hogue grips, and every female that has shot it has fallen in love.

My wife is the only exception, she shoots the 226 like it is an extention of her hand. Weird, since she dosen't enjoy shooting????? Good thing I have plenty of 226's for her !

I have a Glock 26 also that is popular, but the 239 is always the one that they keep going back to.

Old pics, the guns both now wear Meprolights (the best sight ever!)

The 239 vs. Glock 26

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ladysmith 642
    ladysmith.jpg

edit#1...ehh just ready the keep it under 400 thing...that would be about 100 bucks more
    edit#2...i get excited sometimes and respond before thinking...semi-auto...there's also them bersa thunder carry's seemed pretty neat little things...otherwise yeah the sig 239 or xd's
    edit #3...also remembered reading about the new taurus slim. if you can get over buying a taurus and the trigger, it seemed promising as a cheap challenge to kahr

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    PPK or PPK/S is a very small handgun, even a little smaller than the Bersa, and is quite easy to handle with small hands. A friend taught a very petite young woman to shoot Friday before last and she REALLY liked my PPK/S. Her group sizes were 25% of those shot with a compact 9mm.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    My wife really likes the sig p6/p225 (retail ~$325),she likes it better than her bersa thunder 9mm. All the p6's are used , but with some night sites and a little cold blue touch up they look great and are a great bang for the buck. Its my go to gun for when i do lawn work.

ETA: She also liked the 239, but not once she saw the price tag. She has tiny girl hands, go figure, so finding something just right is tough.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I see a lot of good recommendations

+1 SIG 239 (I prefer the SIG 225/P6 would be my 1st choice)
    +1 Bersa Thunder 9 UC (only drawback is it maybe on the heavy side)

my additional recommendations
    -S&W 3913 "Lady Smith"
    -Bersa Thunder 380 Concealled Carry

update us what they decide on and have fun taking them to the range.

medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    Well, I think I have the one that likes Sigs sold on the 239.... I haven't talked to the other one yet.

medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    Would anyone here that has a Sig 239 in 9mm and is in the Rockville area be willing to let one of the young ladies take it for a test drive? She likes the look, but wants to try it out before buying. She would be firing it at Gilbert's indoor range under my supervision. PM me if you can help out, there might be some karma involved.:D

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    wasnt there a group buy on them LCPs,you could push them to get that and use them as guineapigs and let us reap the benifits of your experiment

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom