Suggestions for a low powered, large objective rifle scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm putting together my last custom rifle, intended to be a lightweight, close/mid range hunting rifle.

A lot of my hunting these days is for Sika Deer and they often come out right at the end of legal shooting hours.

Because of this, I would like a decent quality, relatively compact low-power scope with a large objective.

This configuration is popular in Europe, where much shooting is in low light. The nearly ideal scope is listed over at ArfCom, a Schmidt-Bender 1.5-6x42mm. What makes it only nearly ideal and not perfect is the $1,300 + S&I price tag and something about half that price would be more in my ballpark. Maybe someone will buy this damn thing and reduce my angst and temptation... https://www.ar15.com/exchange/topicEE.html?t=2439612&f=163&type=1

Just need a heavy duplex reticle or similar, no cluttered BDC/ranging stuff.

There are a slew of 1-6x +/- scopes out there, but they almost invariably have a straight tube with a 22-23mm objective, which doesn't provide the light transmission I would like to have.

FWIW:
    23mm objective lens / 6x = exit pupil diameter of less than 4mm (when the human eye can use 7mm for best brightness).
    One would have to dial down to <3x to provide a 7mm exit pupil diameter.
    Conversely, 42mm / 6x = 7mm and would give me some flexibility in magnification.

I am about to settle for a Leupold 2-7x33, but still looking.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thank you Boats.

Like what?

Not really a fan of fixed magnification for a hunting scope. Sometimes need to pick out detail not visible at low power (a spike in a herd of does), sometimes need to see better and have as wide a field of view as possible at close range (moving deer close to dark).

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I am not sure what low end magnification you are looking for but the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1x10 is pretty awesome. I'd check out the EOTech Vudu 1-10 as well.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm putting together my last custom rifle, intended to be a lightweight, close/mid range hunting rifle.

A lot of my hunting these days is for Sika Deer and they often come out right at the end of legal shooting hours.

Because of this, I would like a decent quality, relatively compact low-power scope with a large objective.

This configuration is popular in Europe, where much shooting is in low light. The nearly ideal scope is listed over at ArfCom, a Schmidt-Bender 1.5-6x42mm. What makes it only nearly ideal and not perfect is the $1,300 + S&I price tag and something about half that price would be more in my ballpark. Maybe someone will buy this damn thing and reduce my angst and temptation... https://www.ar15.com/exchange/topicEE.html?t=2439612&f=163&type=1

There are a slew of 1-6x +/- scopes out there, but they almost invariably have a straight tube with a 22-23mm objective, which doesn't provide the light transmission I would like to have.

FWIW:
    23mm objective lens / 6x = exit pupil diameter of less than 4mm (when the human eye can use 7mm for best brightness).
    Conversely, 42mm / 6x = 7mm and would give me some flexibility in magnification.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Sir,

I have a trijicon accupower 1-8 (discontinued but almost directly replaced by the Credo) that serves me well on an 18in gasgun.

The objective lens is *slightly* larger than those of comparable straight tubes. It compared favorably side by side with my friends 1-6 kahles (straight tube) for both color fidelity and brightness into failing light. It blew my razor 1-6 away in both categories.

If you look around, you may find a used accupower in the 7-800 range. If you want to try it out in specific light conditions, shoot me a PM.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Thank you Boats.

Like what?

Not really a fan of fixed magnification for a hunting scope. Sometimes need to pick out detail not visible at low power (a spike in a herd of does), sometimes need to see better and have as wide a field of view as possible at close range (moving deer close to dark).

Primary arms 1x prism with a 6x flip to side magnifier? Or a 5x prism scope with a micro red dot mounted?

For the price point you want Primary arms is probably your best best for cheap quality optics.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is the kind of stuff we always ask you:D

The closest thing I have any knowledge of is Hog scopes, same idea, low light performance is critical, low magnification, large exit pupil. Not sure about any at 1X, but the Steiner GS3 3-15x56 and Trijicon AP 2.5-10x56 seem well regarded around $1k or a little less. I have scopes in both brands, and they are excellent, but no experience with these particular models.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    I have this scope on one of my rifles, and I am very happy with it. I’ve never had any problems seeing Deer in low light conditions.
    I also have a Nikon 2-7x32 on my slug gun. I know Nikon no longer makes scopes, but maybe you can find one that’s NOS?
    I honestly like my Nikon better than the Leupold.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Why not a fixed power prism scope?
    Not a prism scope, but I’m a fan of a fixed 4 power scope for close range deer hunting.
    I’ve taken many deer with a “fixed 4” from 20yards to about 125 yards, which covers most ranges deer are taken at in this area.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks Outrider58, I'll take a look.
    I am not sure what low end magnification you are looking for but the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1x10 is pretty awesome. I'd check out the EOTech Vudu 1-10 as well.
    Thank you. Pricing is pretty awesome too, LOL. I'm trying to keep it down under about $600-700, but see I might need to bump that.
    Sir,

I have a trijicon accupower 1-8 (discontinued but almost directly replaced by the Credo) that serves me well on an 18in gasgun.

The objective lens is *slightly* larger than those of comparable straight tubes. It compared favorably side by side with my friends 1-6 kahles (straight tube) for both color fidelity and brightness into failing light. It blew my razor 1-6 away in both categories.

If you look around, you may find a used accupower in the 7-800 range. If you want to try it out in specific light conditions, shoot me a PM.
    Thank you for you kind offer! That Trijicon is pretty pricey too, but I may end up in a place like that.
    Primary arms 1x prism with a 6x flip to side magnifier? Or a 5x prism scope with a micro red dot mounted?

For the price point you want Primary arms is probably your best best for cheap quality optics.
    I'll look closer at that, thank you. I had been kinda stuck on a conventional scope, but something like that might be workable.
    This is the kind of stuff we always ask you:D
    LOL, outside my wheelhouse. I've always been focused on the long range stuff.
    The closest thing I have any knowledge of is Hog scopes, same idea, low light performance is critical, low magnification, large exit pupil. Not sure about any at 1X, but the Steiner GS3 3-15x56 and Trijicon AP 2.5-10x56 seem well regarded around $1k or a little less. I have scopes in both brands, and they are excellent, but no experience with these particular models.
    Thank you, I'll look at those two.
    Might as well just ask about illegal game taking.
    You came in here to post that drivel? I thought better of you.
    I been hunting Sika my whole life and never looked at one that couldn’t be found in a scope during legal shooting hours.
    No one is shooting outside legal hours. You must have missed my posts on thermal devices.
    I have this scope on one of my rifles, and I am very happy with it. I’ve never had any problems seeing Deer in low light conditions.
    I also have a Nikon 2-7x32 on my slug gun. I know Nikon no longer makes scopes, but maybe you can find one that’s NOS?
    I honestly like my Nikon better than the Leupold.
    Thank you. I have a 2-7x on my slug gun as well and it too has always worked well.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The Leupold VX-Freedoms are nice bright scopes. I have a few and mounted a few for friends last season. Everybody 100% happy. If you want the best for the money then move up to the Leupold VX3 HD 2.5-8. My kids and I have more than a dozen Leupold 2.5-8 on our deer guns, slug guns, rifles and muzzleloaders. Our #1 choice for deer since I bought my first one in 1978 for $105 new.

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpg
      IMG_4349.jpg
      404.3 KB · Views: 18

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The trijicon is pricey but used accupowers can sometimes be had for.deals. I'm not on the Hide anymore but a friend scored one off the exchange there for 7.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You came in here to post that drivel? I thought better of you.

No one is shooting outside legal hours. You must have missed my posts on thermal devices.
    I’m not the one worried about it evidently.
    What I said is the truth, not drivel.
    Maybe you should think about quitting early if you can’t see.
    That’s the responsible thing to do.
    Quit while your ahead if your smart.
    Someone else alerted me to your post but if you know so much stay late and see what that gets you.
    Have a nice day Ed.
    Don’t say you weren’t warned.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I would suggest anything with a larger objective. I have a few scope with 50mm objectives and have no issues with low light views. It makes a big difference IMO.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I like your way of thinking, Ed.

I used to hunt with both a 3x9x40 and 3x9x50 vortex. The bigger glass was much easier over the last ten minutes of the night.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's old school , but never had any problems with Steel Tube Weaver K 2.5 .

Usable well past legal shooting hours . If hypothetically Bambi was in deep shadows within shooting range , a cheap Wally World monocular

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

FWIW:

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Leupold makes a 2.5x8x36 also in the VX-3HD series. Weight runs around 12 ounces, length 11.42". Decent hunting scope. They run 500 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom