• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a simple 100gram scale and it pretty much only has a resolution of .2grains so I'm planning to get something else.

But before I do that, I'm feeling that measuring the powder is the most painful part for me right now because its the most amount of time per bullet it seems.
    I'm loading Mosin rounds for a sniper so I'd like to get .5grain accuracy.
    Am I going to have to fork out $$ for one of those auto dispenser or is there another way for around $100 or so?

Another thing is I hope to reload 9mm Luger and 9mm Makarov later on this summer. Accuracy is not a huge deal but I don't think that scale can handle the smaller amounts that those loads hold.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It all depends on what powder you are using. Extruded powder are harder to measure.

As far as making it accurate.. You can buy a trickle. It does takes time. But if you only load so much it's cheaper than buying auto dispenser.

I can't tell if you are asking about a scale or a powder measure. There are many scales and balances that will give you 0.1 grain accuracy. With the powder measure, it depends on the powder. But with a ball powder in the right measure, +/- 0.1 grains is achievable if you have a consistent technique.

I use a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 when weighing each load. I have a Redding 3BR measure for dropping charges. I'm happy with both.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you're loading for match loads you probably want to weigh each one. But back when I handloaded (9mm/38spl/357) we just needed production volume and used a lee auto disk powder measure. It was PLENTY repeatable for plinking. My dad now uses it for his 45.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Lyman powder measure and several Dillon powder measures (on Dillon 659 tool heads).

I mainly use ball or flake powders, and they meter extremely well. +/- 0.1 grains.

For extruded, it is more difficult, but the Lyman/RCBS type measures with a deep well tend to be better, as less grains are cut.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm using Varget right now which are the extruded cylindars?

I'll eventually use H4895 for rifle. I dont' know what that is yet

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm using Varget right now which are the extruded cylindars?

I'll eventually use H4895 for rifle. I dont' know what that is yet

Yep varget is extruded powder. They are harder to measure with powder drops hence the variance.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You should have a proper scale with 1/10 grain accuracy. Doesn't have to be expensive.

For measuring, the Lee dipper set combined with a powder trickler and the scale will give you precision on the cheap. You could probably use the dipper alone without the trickler for practice ammo on a production basis, and save the trickler for your match-grade loads. Once you work out a consistent technique, dipping can be fast and precise, and very safe.

Or you can check out the Lee Auto Disk already mentioned, but that is basically doing the same thing as the dippers: you have a buch of fixed-volume measures to choose among.

I knew a guy once who made his own dippers, bunches of them in exact custom sizes. He would use various empty cartridge cases trimmed and filed to the exact size he wanted, with coat-hanger wire handles attached with super glue. He had a house full of pistol trophies, so he was doing something right.

But whatever method you use, you simply must have a proper powder scale, that measures to the tenth of a grain. Not a fifth, and no grams, please.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You should be able to throw charges within .5gr. from any decent powder measure. If you want to be more precise, throw the charge a little under the desired weight and then use a powder trickler to bring it up to the correct weight on your scale. I have been using RCBS for years.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i use a lee auto disc and a rcb powder trickler dumping onto a hornady digital scale for precision loads.

for most of my pistol loads the auto disc, checked every now and then, works fine.

there are some powders that you do not want to break up and others that are long enough that they must be dipped, at least by me.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Varget is very hard to throw consistently in drum type powder measures. I have an RCBS Uniflow measure, and a 5 0 5 scale. The uniflow throws very consistent charges with flake, and ball powders. Usally I just charge cases straight from the powder measure, once I set it where I need it. But with Varget and any of the extruded stick powders - you need to be careful. The sticks like to log jam in the powder throw nozzle, and does not meter as well as smaller grained powders.

Generally I use Varget, in more precision rounds. I set my powder measure to underthrow my charge, then use a scale, and powder trickler to get it where I need it to be. It works well.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I started with lee loader in .222 then progressed to Rock Chucker. The 5-0-5 scale is 1/10gr resolution and with a trickle you can go slightly under then around one twist you get very precise and quite quick although in my 25-06 1/10gr (87gr Sierra SPBT 55gr H4831 CCI-250 Rem 700adl) precision was overkill. I could easily get loads that grouped 3/8" @ 100yd with thrown charges.

I now use RL-550B and use thrown charges unless I'm going to hunt ground hogs at distance.

YMMV, have fun making your rifle perform it's best. Each one is unique.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The dipper with trickler is a quick way to get accurate charges without cutting extruded grains.

BTW, why do youplan on switching FROM Varget? Many people are switching TO Varget.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I use the Lee dippers and a Hornady trickler for loads that I either can't trust (extruded stick) or are too small (i.e 1.9 gr of W231 for my .32 S&W Long) to accurately measure. I find this method to be as fast as my PACT automatic powder dispenser (but it requires more concentration) and I use this if I have the PACT filled with a different powder.
    For the vast majority of my pistol reloading (W231,WSF), I use the volume measure on my Dillon and crank them out- measuring an occasional charge, and it is always spot on.
    DocAitch

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thx all.
    Digesting info

The dipper with trickler is a quick way to get accurate charges without cutting extruded grains.

BTW, why do youplan on switching FROM Varget? Many people are switching TO Varget.

Seems like most of my friends were using 4895. I thought I read that Varget was harder to get. So far I purchased varget online (got lucky) then found H4895 locally one day (lucky again)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The issue with BL(C)-2 is that it is very temperature sensitive. Hot weather ups pressure and velocity.

H4895 is a good powder, used by many for accuracy, it is just that Varget is newer and seems to be well liked by many also. I have Varget, I have not found H4895. But if you want to get rid of your Varget, let me know.

I did find some Reloader 15 to try also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom