• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    So I back ordered a vortex viper 5-15x-44 from the thread Lax was kind enough to post up. I was in no rush and the price was sweet. That said, I currently have a 15moa base and a bushnell banner (on my rem 700 bolt gun) that will be reassigned elsewhere for duty.

What 20moa base and rings (30mm) do you guys/gals like? I'm not looking to be mr super shooter guy and drop a bazillion dollars, but im down with buy once cry once if it makes sense. I just want something quality and with solid rings that will last so i can learn and get better. This will be a paper puncher for the most part :)

I appreciate your input and advice.

Ryan

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I picked up a EGW 20moa base from Gun Connection and I had a set of Badger rings laying around .I more then happy with them .

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    For bases I've read about badger, egw, night force etc. I also see you can do picatinny style and there are aluminum vs steel options. I assume there are positives and negatives to both, but should I assume it is just personal preference as with many things!?

For rings there are about a million options ranging from low, to ultra high. Sounds like a fitting perhaps!?

Thanks for the input so far fellas :)

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    EGW alloy 20 MOA base and Burris Xtreme Rings (low)

As long as your objective lens isn't that big you will go with low rings for a bold gun. Any thing more and you may have to add a cheek riser. Once you get out to 50mm and bigger then you may or may not have to go with med rings depending on your base. High rings are mostly meant for AR's and such.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    EGW alloy 20 MOA base and Burris Xtreme Rings (low)

As long as your objective lens isn't that big you will go with low rings for a bold gun. Any thing more and you may have to add a cheek riser. Once you get out to 50mm and bigger then you may or may not have to go with med rings depending on your base. High rings are mostly meant for AR's and such.

That makes really good sense, thank you for the knowledge!!

Does having a picatinny style base make more sense as most of the rings I see are for them?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    EGW base is fine. No matter what base you get, you may need to shim it. Picatinny base gives you more options for moving the scope back and forth to get it set in just the right position.

Rings- Depends on your budget. Burris Xtremes are ok, I've used a couple of them. For a couple dollars more, I like the TPS rings. No matter what rings you get, you will need lap them. If you want to spend even more, Farrell and Badger rings are nice.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    El here is the pic you asked for . I have this one set up with a EGW 20MOA mount and Burris Extreme Tactical rings . I for got I put the Badger rings on the LMT in the back ground .

Attachments

• range.jpg
      range.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 216

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    None of the above. Buy a LaRue 1 Piece Mount and LaRue R700 Base. The Rings/Mount has perfect rings like Badger but allows you to adjust the forward/aft position to optimize eye relief. A LaRue Q.D. mount it removable and completely repeatable with no Zero Loss. The Larue base has a 20MOA cant for long range shooting. You have to be sure any bases you use a LT ount on have full picitanny rail surface, many mounts have a lightening cut down the middle, this means only a portion of recoil lug on the mount has contact, this is BAD so be sure it has no lightening cuts down the middle. LaRue makes them properly for this reason.

Other atvantages include the ability to remove the optics when cleaning. Any person knows cleaning a gun will cause crap to get on the optics, this removes that hassle.

Second advantage means you can use one nice piece of glass on several guns. All of my optics are now on larue mounts. I can move several optics between my AR's Bolt Guns, AK's etc......

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    None of the above. Buy a LaRue 1 Piece Mount and LaRue R700 Base. The Rings/Mount has perfect rings like Badger but allows you to adjust the forward/aft position to optimize eye relief. A LaRue Q.D. mount it removable and completely repeatable with no Zero Loss. The Larue base has a 20MOA cant for long range shooting. You have to be sure any bases you use a LT ount on have full picitanny rail surface, many mounts have a lightening cut down the middle, this means only a portion of recoil lug on the mount has contact, this is BAD so be sure it has no lightening cuts down the middle. LaRue makes them properly for this reason.

Other atvantages include the ability to remove the optics when cleaning. Any person knows cleaning a gun will cause crap to get on the optics, this removes that hassle.

Second advantage means you can use one nice piece of glass on several guns. All of my optics are now on larue mounts. I can move several optics between my AR's Bolt Guns, AK's etc......

Damn, that's a lot to think about and the interchangeability is certainly attractive as well. As always, you know I appreciate your input pal. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Damn, that's a lot to think about and the interchangeability is certainly attractive as well. As always, you know I appreciate your input pal. :)

My pleasure. The Larue setup will save you over Badger Base and Rings too cost wise and give you unlimited usage of the scope on many guns. Just be sure to get one that clears your irons on other guns.

If you have skype I can do a live demonstration with you on the idea behind my setup.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Badger Ornance matched and lapped rings on a 20 MOA Badger base. Glass is only a fixed power Super Sniper but it works out okay. I sort of agree with Clandestine and have been buying QD mounts for my other guns. I went with setup as it was what Fulton Armory recommended when I had them set up my Varmint rig.

b5f935d6.jpg

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    My pleasure. The Larue setup will save you over Badger Base and Rings too cost wise and give you unlimited usage of the scope on many guns. Just be sure to get one that clears your irons on other guns.

If you have skype I can do a live demonstration with you on the idea behind my setup.

No Skype (I'm an iPhone dork with FaceTime) but I could sign up and figure it out I'm sure.

Here comes the real dummy question. If I like low rings for my bolt gun and it's in 308, would I most likely have issues with clearing the buis and zero moving the scope to an AR!?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Most of the QD mounts sit pretty high...

This is an American Defense mount, I doubt by design it could sit much lower. I'm pretty sure the BUIS are Troys rebranded as SIG OEM, as you can see it clears them by about 1/16th" with the 1-4x Vortex mounted.

e9a5bf82.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No Skype (I'm an iPhone dork with FaceTime) but I could sign up and figure it out I'm sure.

Here comes the real dummy question. If I like low rings for my bolt gun and it's in 308, would I most likely have issues with clearing the buis and zero moving the scope to an AR!?

Skype is easy, just download you dont even need a webcam you can view me and the setup is like a phone call. Its free and private between the 2 of us. If you have a webcam you can use that too.

My optics use a LT104 Larue mount, this mount allows me to use a large scope like a Leupy MK4 on my AR's and clear the BUIS and on a AK with a TWS Mount. The optic normally sits on my 700P but sits slightly higher but thats what a cheekrest is for. Even with the lowest badger rings you will need a cheekrest fot any scope with a 40MM or larger objective. You want consistent cheek weld and a cheekrest is a must.

Heres the cheekrest I use. http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com/Cheek-Rest-700.html

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    To clarify if you use a LaRue Mount you want a full lug base like this:

lt-113s_rem700-rail_small.jpg

You DONT want a base like this:

p_093306070_1.jpg

The Badger Base is $150 and the Badger Rings are $175.00=325.00 and you are dedicating it to one gun. For the LaRue Base is $75.00 and the LT104 Mount is $195.00= $270.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom