• ...and so much more!
  • what .45 to get?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I notice quite a few mention the Ruger SR1911... EXCELLENT choice... so now let me put on my Kevlar body armor as I do not wish to be beaten too severely... Any consideration for the Ruger P345? I realize they are no longer in production, but they can be had second hand rather reasonably. I love mine... Thoughts?:shrug:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I notice quite a few mention the Ruger SR1911... EXCELLENT choice... so now let me put on my Kevlar body armor as I do not wish to be beaten too severely... Any consideration for the Ruger P345? I realize they are no longer in production, but they can be had second hand rather reasonably. I love mine... Thoughts?:shrug:

No experience with that model, but I do have to say the old Ruger P-90 was a freaking tank.

My uncle still has his. Reassembly can get interesting if you rush thru, but other than that it's been a workhorse.

Still doesn't compare to even a basic 1911 though. :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I cut my handgun teeth on revolvers and a MkI Ruger. Got into single shot and other semi autos. Got into 1911's pretty deep. Still dabbled in wonder hi caps, modern design semi autos, different calibers. Still do. Every time I try to deviate and step out of the mold I go back to the pistol that can get the job done. When I need a fast, accurate, good handling semi auto, there is a good 1911 and there are all the others.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    No experience with that model, but I do have to say the old Ruger P-90 was a freaking tank.

My uncle still has his. Reassembly can get interesting if you rush thru, but other than that it's been a workhorse.

Still doesn't compare to even a basic 1911 though. :)

I'm OK with that... I do not own a 1911...yet... It will be an SR1911 as I have shot one ... Thanks for not eviscerating me. I just don't understand why the Ruger P345 never got any Press. I have heard that it is "clunky"... IT'S A .45...not a .380 pocket pistol. Always goes BOOM when I want it to... never an issue. Personally, I like how it feels in my hand and it's accuracy is unquestioned. Again, just my opinion.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I'm OK with that... I do not own a 1911...yet... It will be an SR1911 as I have shot one ... Thanks for not eviscerating me. I just don't understand why the Ruger P345 never got any Press. I have heard that it is "clunky"... IT'S A .45...not a .380 pocket pistol. Always goes BOOM when I want it to... never an issue. Personally, I like how it feels in my hand and it's accuracy is unquestioned. Again, just my opinion.

the P345 is a completely underrated gun. Great great gun for the money, much more accurate than the price would indicate, and reliable as all get out.

I honestly shoot better with my buddy's P345 than I do with my Glock 21, though not as well as a 1911 or my USP .45

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Go with the gun that the .45 was born for: the 1911. Proven, rugged design, parts availability rivaled only by AR15s, and damned sexy to boot.

the P345 is a completely underrated gun. Great great gun for the money, much more accurate than the price would indicate, and reliable as all get out.

You can usually give even the worst Ruger a trigger job to turn it into a great shooter. It's more or less impossible to give non-Rugers a "built like a tank" job to make them more rugged or reliable.

That's why I love Rugers.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I've decided my next purchase is going to be a .45. I own a Glock in 40 s&w and a Springfiels xd 40 s&w. I don't know if I should get a Glock in .45, or maybe a Springfield xds .45. At one time I owned a Colt pocketlight .380 which looks like a scaled down version of a 1911. So do I go with something in the 1911 design? Maybe one of the new Ruger Range Officers? Suggestions and reasoning appreciated. Thanks!

I like 1911s myself. Colt, STI (they make great 1911s) and Kimber. Guess it just depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend, but a good 1911 is a wonder to hold in your hand.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    H&K USPc fan here...

love the feel of the Kimber, but mine is a beotch to field strip due to the barrel lug swivel and the little wire tool you have to use.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    H&K USPc fan here...

love the feel of the Kimber, but mine is a beotch to field strip due to the barrel lug swivel and the little wire tool you have to use.

Yeah, I actually bought a little after-market device that makes it easier to take down my Kimbers. Oh, and I'm an H&K P2000SK fan myself (mine is a .40) - would like to eventually get the USP - very nice gun.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

The Ruger P345 is junk. They are dangerous to shoot. Do you want to sell yours? :innocent0 :lol2:

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks Pal... I will be sure to pack all my Ruger junk when I come to visit... Can't sell it... Dieselfool would never forgive me. He has the SR45 and hates it, but won't sell it because it was a wedding gift from his bride. He wanted the P345... she and I don't see eye to eye, so he ended up with something he didn't want... and he ended up with something I didn't want...get it?:rolleyes:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks Pal... I will be sure to pack all my Ruger junk when I come to visit... Can't sell it... Dieselfool would never forgive me. He has the SR45 and hates it, but won't sell it because it was a wedding gift from his bride. He wanted the P345... she and I don't see eye to eye, so he ended up with something he didn't want... and he ended up with something I didn't want...get it?:rolleyes:

Well since neither of you want it... :shrug: Just leave it on my back porch and "forget where he left it". I'll make sure that it is well taken care of. I'm sure his wife will take pity on him for the loss and buy him the one he wants. She DOES love him... Right?

:innocent0

:lol2:

thai

May 8, 2013
    The HK45 or the USP 45 as others have mentioned.
    Followed by the Sig P220, any iteration.

Ruger handguns are ugliest pieces of schit to grace my hands. I them heavy, sturdy, and a delight to shoot. They as accurate as my HK and Sigs, IF not more so. I cried when my P90 was stolen out of my trunk. I will even go out on a limb to trust my life on any Ruger handgun out of the box. If I ever am fortunate enough to find a new in the Box P90 I wil pick it up.

For 1911, the Sigs are decent and you can never wrong with a Kimber. But I wouldn't suggest one to a newbie.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Well since neither of you want it... :shrug: Just leave it on my back porch and "forget where he left it". I'll make sure that it is well taken care of. I'm sure his wife will take pity on him for the loss and buy him the one he wants. She DOES love him... Right?

:innocent0

:lol2:

I'm biting my tongue here... doh!:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom