• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I have a neighbor that wants to buy an AR 15. We live in Maryland. He asked about the Ruger AR-556. He plans to use the AR for target practice out to 300 yards. It would be nice if the gun had the option of using iron sights or a red dot sight/scope or a variable scope. It would also be nice if the gun can shoot around 2moa. I know he does not want to spend much for the gun but he wants a gun worth having. Reliability is probably more important that accuracy.

It would be great if the barrel could be free floating but I'm not sure he wants to spend enough to get that option.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Ruger AR-556. It sounds like it can be had for around $600 to $700.

Please let me know what AR 15 you would suggest for the budget minded buyer.

Thanks!
    Eric

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For a tight budget, he's probably better off getting a Ruger American bolt rifle and a nice scope, versus an AR for twice the price and a low-rent optic.

CXD Arms

Feb 27, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    For a 2MOA rifle, just about any AR-15 will meet that. A basic 16" carbine can be had for that price, but you didn't specify the overall budget. You could get a decent Nikon 1-4 scope for $200 which could put you around $800 overall.

If you purchased a lower for $150 OTD (high estimate) and a parts kit for $450 which is easily available you will have your complete rifle.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Similar to what CXD said, your friend could find a complete lower through PSA or a MD dealer that sells the PSA lowers. Should run around $150.

Then he could order a complete upper (with an HBAR barrel of course). Here was a recent $400 deal ... http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3910184&postcount=7

I don't know if it's still available as I can't access the vendor's site from the internet that I'm currently using.

Is the Ruger AR-556 an HBAR? Again, can't easily check this until later.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    For a 2MOA rifle, just about any AR-15 will meet that. A basic 16" carbine can be had for that price, but you didn't specify the overall budget. You could get a decent Nikon 1-4 scope for $200 which could put you around $800 overall.

If you purchased a lower for $150 OTD (high estimate) and a parts kit for $450 which is easily available you will have your complete rifle.

Great suggestions. He is a new shooter and just looking at getting a rifle. I don't know what his budget is but I suspect with scope he probably wants to keep it under $1000.

Buying the upper and lower might be a good idea. I don't know if he wants to get that involved in putting a gun together. He might just want to buy a gun that he can buy and shoot the same day. I have bought a budget upper off the internet, brand new, that would not shoot 2moa. I also hear some have sub par, bolt staking. I'm not sure I want to point him towards a budget upper. Maybe a mid level upper. Not sure which are worth buying though. I bought a Stag Arms 3 G upper that I like but it cost around $800, which I think is over the budget.

Thanks!
    Eric

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    When I asked about that same exact AR back in February, the consensus was that it was both junk and banned...:confused:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169442&highlight=ruger

In the end, I bought a Windam, then slapped together a PSA lower/High Standard upper (which shot as nice as the Windam IMO), and then finally got a Colt...

If you guys find a NEW Md. "compliant" complete Cash & Carry AR for between $600 and $700 (including any shipping and/or transfer fees), please post up the details... ;)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Send him to some of our IP's to look around and they will educate him on what is legal and available and he can go from there.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    ENGAGE ARMAMENT! Can set you up with a rifle that will fir your friends needs and budget.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Great suggestions. He is a new shooter and just looking at getting a rifle. I don't know what his budget is but I suspect with scope he probably wants to keep it under $1000.

Buying the upper and lower might be a good idea. I don't know if he wants to get that involved in putting a gun together. He might just want to buy a gun that he can buy and shoot the same day. I have bought a budget upper off the internet, brand new, that would not shoot 2moa. I also hear some have sub par, bolt staking. I'm not sure I want to point him towards a budget upper. Maybe a mid level upper. Not sure which are worth buying though. I bought a Stag Arms 3 G upper that I like but it cost around $800, which I think is over the budget.

Thanks!
    Eric

Buying an upper and lower is nothing more than pushing in 2 pins to put it together. And PSA has some great deal if you sign up for their email list you will get them everyday. But, buying a separate lower may require paper work and a wait? I don't know that answer.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I just got in a used AR that'll be posted in our used section later this morning. $650 HBAR dissipator with MOE hand guard, CTR stock, MIAD grip (all tan) and two stage trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom