• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Ever shot a piston gun? Gas vents out the front and side usually, gets all over the rail and your hand eventually. That part of the hand guard can get hot too.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    I was thinking of the same comparison to a piston gun that releases some gas near your hand, which is the negative, but what would be the advantage to bleeding off gas instead of cutting it off? Maybe it would lower the pressure running through the system???

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I was thinking of the same comparison to a piston gun that releases some gas near your hand, which is the negative, but what would be the advantage to bleeding off gas instead of cutting it off? Maybe it would lower the pressure running through the system???

I guess this, from their site:

•The pressure used in the block is reduced only to the amount required to drive the bolt carrier. The remaining gas / pressure are bled out of the block allowing the system to run much cleaner and cooler.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im going to get one and run it ragged.

The main advantage on paper is to set it and forget it design. If you find ammo that is weak (Low pressure at the gas port) and set the adjustment so the gun functions and locks the bolt back on the last round, it will then, without any further adjustments, bleed off pressure from hotter ammo, or when a Sound Suppressor is attached.

You wont have to keep adjusting the device.

First let me say that Adjustable Gas Blocks are worthless if the Gas Port is too small to cycle weak ammo. You need a larger gas port to maximize the benefits of adjustable gas.

When finding your settings I suggest doing it with a heavily FOULED AR (Not recently cleaned or lubricated), and on a COLD day. High Elevation and Cold Temps can lower operating pressure and cause lubricants to thicken so you want to know the settings needed for the AR to function under the worst conditions you will encounter. I also encourage you to open up ANY adjustable Gas Block to the most open setting and run a few hundred rounds through it before trying to document your settings. Adjustable Gas Blocks DO leak, and you want them to settle in before trying to document settings.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Im going to get one and run it ragged.

The main advantage on paper is to set it and forget it design. If you find ammo that is weak (Low pressure at the gas port) and set the adjustment so the gun functions and locks the bolt back on the last round, it will then, without any further adjustments, bleed off pressure from hotter ammo, or when a Sound Suppressor is attached.

You wont have to keep adjusting the device.

First let me say that Adjustable Gas Blocks are worthless if the Gas Port is too small to cycle weak ammo. You need a larger gas port to maximize the benefits of adjustable gas.

When finding your settings I suggest doing it with a heavily FOULED AR (Not recently cleaned or lubricated), and on a COLD day. High Elevation and Cold Temps can lower operating pressure and cause lubricants to thicken so you want to know the settings needed for the AR to function under the worst conditions you will encounter. I also encourage you to open up ANY adjustable Gas Block to the most open setting and run a few hundred rounds through it before trying to document your settings. Adjustable Gas Blocks DO leak, and you want them to settle in before trying to document settings.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom