• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • This may not be the right section,if not please move.

I have always been curious about the reasoning behind putting a suppressor on a .22 (including Magnum).I grew-up and still live in a rural area and the report of.22 is minimal and a normal occurance.

If someone could explain the reasoning behind it,I would appreciate it (excluding LEO/Hushpuppy).
    I do not want to get into a p***ing match with anyone,just wandering about the reason's.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    #1 just because
    #2 a suppressed .22 is quieter than a pellet rifle...and my neighbors get pissy when i shoot my pellet rifle at squirrels...and squirrels need to die...
    #3 see #1 or #2:D

CallMeIshmael

New Shooter
    Dec 25, 2010
    HoCo
    It's all about the neighbors and noise complaints, plus with a suppressor, you do not head to wear hearing protection on a suppressed .22, .45 is a different story however...

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    One of the places I shoot it needs to be suppressed.

While legal to shoot there, the neighbors bitch. Add suppressors, and it ends the bitching.

While legal to shoot there, the neighbors bitch. Add suppressors, and it ends the bitching.

I understand what you're saying about the neighbors,but a suppressed .45 should be louder than a suppressed .22 (I may be wrong).So how would they know the difference?

:DI understand the principle/operation of a suppressor and I'm not trying to overthink this,I'm just trying to justify it with a rimfire.Please don't take this as a chicken/egg arguement,it really is just a question.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    This may not be the right section,if not please move.

I have always been curious about the reasoning behind putting a suppressor on a .22 (including Magnum).I grew-up and still live in a rural area and the report of.22 is minimal and a normal occurance.

If someone could explain the reasoning behind it,I would appreciate it (excluding LEO/Hushpuppy).
    I do not want to get into a p***ing match with anyone,just wandering about the reason's.

Any sound above 85db can hurt your ears. Using a suppressor is an intelligent person's way of protecting their hearing and enjoying shooting.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I understand what you're saying about the neighbors,but a suppressed .45 should be louder than a suppressed .22 (I may be wrong).So how would they know the difference?

:DI understand the principle/operation of a suppressor and I'm not trying to overthink this,I'm just trying to justify it with a rimfire.Please don't take this as a chicken/egg arguement,it really is just a question.

The title of the thread is suppressed 22, that was what I was responding to.

Yes a suppressed 45 is much louder then a 22. I own a suppressed 45, however a wet 9mm, which I do own, is almost as quiet as a suppressed 22. We do shoot 9mm there, always wet though. I don't think it would be an issue if it was shot dry, suds sonic 9mm is pretty quiet.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    oh and an unsuppressed pistol is quite loud...my suppressed ruger 22/45 pistol with LR ammo is still quiet! i need to mount a scope on it...LOL!

The title of the thread is suppressed 22, that was what I was responding to.

Yes a suppressed 45 is much louder then a 22. I own a suppressed 45, however a wet 9mm, which I do own, is almost as quiet as a suppressed 22. We do shoot 9mm there, always wet though. I don't think it would be an issue if it was shot dry, suds sonic 9mm is pretty quiet.

Got ya (title of thread) I did side track the thread with the .45 statement.I read (mis-interpreted) your response.

I've been around a few suppressed weapons when fired,but never a .22.Which was the reason behind the start of this thread,I just never gave any thought to making a .22 quieter.Thanks for the response's.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    SRD,

as noted above, people just want 'em.

Some people, to shoot legally where they live without having to deal with cops and @$$hole neighbors, really need em.

I have several suppressed rimfires. Most are .22. I have a suppressed .17hmr because that is a very loud round and while you cannot eliminate the supersonic "crack", the muzzle report is mostly gone. Best part is that nobody that isn't really familiar with suppressed weapons cannot locate the source of the shot (unless you are an idiot and keep on shooting). I occasionally problem-solve for farmers and around livestock you want no noise. I use subsonic rounds (handloaded 9mm, 45, or CCI subsonicHP 22) with cans to enable me to do the job for them without spooking their animals. Horses are a particular concern here, as they can spook and injure themselves if they are not used to gunfire.

On a side-note, one can hunt varmint from horseback in certain states this way.

Okay,Here's the deal

(1) If this thread dies,it's Okay with me.

(2)As stated earlier,I live (always have) in a rural area so the noise was never an issue.At 1 time it would sound like Ft. Meade at my house on weekends with 2-3 semi-auto rifles going off at a time.

(3)A**hole neighbors are something I can relate to,had 1 once.Fortunately for me the local LEO would show up,ask what I was doing,determine I was legal and leave (with a reccomendation to limit the amount of ammo I put down range to keep the peace).

(4)Related to above;I just took for granted eveyone had a place to shoot without issues;club,private property,etc.

(4)4g64loser,I know a few people that "problem-solve" also,so I can relate.

(5)I'd like to say thanks for all the reponses.I now have a different perspective,but unfortunately now I think I might be spending more money on a stamp,gunsmithing,etc. :D:D:D

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co

Yes, that's my situation as well. In my case, the serial complainer lives about 1/4mi away, but just loves to call the cops, county manager or anyone else who'll listen whenever I'm out having fun. A suppressor cuts down on the nuisance complaints and saves taxpayer dollars too.

Yes, that's my situation as well. In my case, the serial complainer lives about 1/4mi away, but just loves to call the cops, county manager or anyone else who'll listen whenever I'm out having fun. A suppressor cuts down on the nuisance complaints and saves taxpayer dollars too.

I believe that's what happened at AAF&G a few yrs. ago.Someone with some money/influence bought a house next to an existing gun range and complained about the noise. :wtf:

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I have a couple of .22 options with just one suppressor to pass around. I don't have neighbor issues but my wife juimps at the noise when I 'need' to shoot at night. I have a big problem with 'masked' varmints raiding my bird feeder. I have a Spectre can on a Romanian M-69 scoped that really works. Just last night, I got one and it went like this: walk quietly, sling up/sight in, pull trigger, hear hammer fall, smack hit, thump as he hits the ground and does not move. I love this thing. :)

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    A suppressed 22 pistol is also good for your indoor range in your basement, where legal. In MoCo it's actually legal to shoot in your below grade basement as long as noise ordinances aren't broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom