• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    Searched this for quite a while with no definitive answer so here goes.

I just picked up a .308 Remington 700 SPS varmint with a 26" heavy barrel. It is not threaded at the current moment.

My question is am I better off having the barrel threaded at current length or having it cut to length X and have it threaded? What are the pro's and con's of each? There is no specific suppressor in mind or particular ammo load and I have no problem with the current barrel length.

This is a pure range gun being utilized from 0-1000 yards, no hunting or dragging it through the mud. Most of its life it will be used at or around 100 yards at places like mytrle grove and other ranges with the occasional trip to a long range.

Last edited:

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Midcounty Gun Shop just cut my 26" Savage to 20" and threaded for my YHM Phantom. Haven't shot it yet, but Mike did a great job. I picked 20" cause with the can on its back to about 26". Almost bought a Rem 700 AAC with the 20" barrel, but it was more cost effective to cut the Savage.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    20" is about right. The engineers at AAC already did the research and came up with this( 700SD). It is the right mix of stiffness and barrel length to provide optimum performance.

Attachments

• District%2012%20Oxon%20Hill-20111128-00058.jpg
      District%2012%20Oxon%20Hill-20111128-00058.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 323

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    Interesting. What is the cost of a cut and thread? Wondering if it wouldn't be better to just pick up an sps tactical and leave this one alone.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Interesting. What is the cost of a cut and thread? Wondering if it wouldn't be better to just pick up an sps tactical and leave this one alone.

Thats what I did... the SPS varmint has a 26 " 1:12 twist barrel. Cutting it down to 20" will not resolve the requirement for a faster twist rate. a 1:10 twist is needed to stabilize heavy subsonic projectiles.

I went with the Tactical SD for a suppressed bolt-gun.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Depends, are you going to run sub-sonic ammo? Barrel length is less of an issue if you are running sub-sonic, personally, I would cut it back a lot in that case... If you are running super-sonic ammo, I'd imagine a longer barrel (to a point) would be helpful. (As others have said, 20" seems like a good place to start.)

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    I think I am going to take scar's advice but with a twist. Instead of an 700 sps tactical in .308 maybe make it a 300 blk out. Has that been done? A 300 blk out bolt gun?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think I am going to take scar's advice but with a twist. Instead of an 700 sps tactical in .308 maybe make it a 300 blk out. Has that been done? A 300 blk out bolt gun?

Boltguns in 300 blackout are available on a custom ( barrel change) basis. It will set you back quit a bit. While the 300BLK is a good round, I would still prefer the 308 over that. Having the ability to go stealthy ( subsonics) and reaching out ( supersonics) from the same gun makes sense.

For the 300BLK.. I would keep that in an AR platform. It is optimized for that function. Any mods that are required are simple , cheap and can be done at home with simple tools and mechanical ability.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    Good point. I just found it to be a very interesting round. Something just a little different from the norm.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Thats what I did... the SPS varmint has a 26 " 1:12 twist barrel. Cutting it down to 20" will not resolve the requirement for a faster twist rate. a 1:10 twist is needed to stabilize heavy subsonic projectiles.

I went with the Tactical SD for a suppressed bolt-gun.

So here's a question regarding twist rates.

I am torn between the 700 SPS Tactical and the 700 SPS Tactical AAC because I may (read: probably will) be suppressing it in the future.

That being said I still want versatility out of the platform such as being able to shoot standard ball ammo as that is what I will probably shoot with for just a fun day at the range. Will a 1:10" twist degrade the performance with lighter (~147grain) ammo?

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    So here's a question regarding twist rates.

I am torn between the 700 SPS Tactical and the 700 SPS Tactical AAC because I may (read: probably will) be suppressing it in the future.

That being said I still want versatility out of the platform such as being able to shoot standard ball ammo as that is what I will probably shoot with for just a fun day at the range. Will a 1:10" twist degrade the performance with lighter (~147grain) ammo?

No it won't. Faster spin doesn't come into play until you spin them so fast you tear the projectile apart.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    No it won't. Faster spin doesn't come into play until you spin them so fast you tear the projectile apart.

+1

I shoot military surplus ammo ( 147-149 grain) out of a 1:10 20" AAC SD unsuppressed most of the time.

I also found out that instead of using a thread protector for unsuppressed shots, a compensator can be screwed in place to help dampen recoil and muzzle rise. With a comp in place, my optics stay on target on recoil. For night shooting, a flash hider can be installed.attachments also protect the muzzle/ crown... other uses for those 5/8x24tpi threads.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    +1

I shoot military surplus ammo ( 147-149 grain) out of a 1:10 20" AAC SD unsuppressed most of the time.

I also found out that instead of using a thread protector for unsuppressed shots, a compensator can be screwed in place to help dampen recoil and muzzle rise. With a comp in place, my optics stay on target on recoil. For night shooting, a flash hider can be installed.attachments also protect the muzzle/ crown... other uses for those 5/8x24tpi threads.

Good to know. That's what I figured.

Yeah, that was another selling point to the threaded barrel. I was going to put a muzzle device on there when I got it as opposed to the thread protector.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    Made a couple phone calls to get some manufacturer info/suggestions. They concured with what Scar said about barrel length and twist rate and it was recommended to not use the rifle I have in current configuration. Not that I couldn't but to get optimum results a different twist rate was highly recommended. Now if I could find some optics and a good stock I would be good to go.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a Savage 10FLCP-K in .308 with a 1:10 24" barrel, and can tell you with an AAC 762SD, it becomes unwieldy to shoot off-hand. I shoot 175gr SMK exclusively.

2011-10-15170013.jpg

For Bench or prone it's fine, but off-hand is a bit harder. If I want to shoot quietly, I switch to the 300BLK.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    BenL what kind of scope do you have on your savage? I am in the process of aquiring a scope and like the looks of yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom