• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have been all over the web and couldn't find any definitive information on this, so I will share my experience in case anyone else is asking this question.

"Do you need to change the spring in a p226 9mm when suppressing it?"

Short answer, my experience has shown you don't have to replace the standard spring.

This question is in regards to the guns ability to operate suppressed on stock springs. Some articles out there suggest it needed a lighter spring. One study was from 2007 testing 3 suppressors and suggested a 14lb spring was required.

Other articles/ forum contributors suggested that the stock spring should be heavier or you could risk battering your frame due to increased back pressure. This was my real concern as my 226 operates fine with an octane .45 can on it in stock configuration.

I obtained a set of extra power springs from Wolff for some testing. I went right for the highest power spring. My pistol had about 500 rounds through it at this point and has been cleaned/lubed every 200-300 rds with mil-comm products. I use the cleaner then grease the rails and use the oil over grease and on the barrel. Also use a small amount of grease on the inside top of the slide where it contacts the barrel. I run it a bit on the wet side. After this number of rounds I noticed a very small amount of finish starting to remove from both sides of the frame rails. Nothing out of the ordinary, but wanted to make sure it didn't progress into a bigger problem. Most of these rounds were shot suppressed in stock configuration with a sig factory threaded barrel.

The 226 cycled fine with the 20lb Wolff spring without the suppressor. Ammo was varied; freedom munitions reloads, WWB, blazer brass, American eagle. Used bullet weights of 115, 124, and 147gr. In this configuration brass ejected only a foot or two away but cycled reliably. Some hst 124gr +p and 147gr/ +p ejected a bit further.

With the 20lb spring, same ammo and suppressor brass ejects about 4-6 ft away. Of note, the slide stop becomes significantly more difficult to release after it is locked back with the 20lb spring. Again the hst ammo ejected about further.

With the stock 15lb spring installed and no suppressor brass ejected about 6-8 ft away depending on load.

I attached the suppressor again with the stock spring installed.
    With some of the hotter ammo; hst and american eagle 124gr ammo ejected about 8 ft away. With the other above mentioned loads and the suppressor brass ejected about 6 ft away.

Shooting with the 20lb spring increased forward slide velocity noticeably and caused muzzle dip when getting back on target. Again the slid stop/ release was much harder to depress when loading after the slide locked back.

After all this I put the 15 lb stock spring in for the shooting session and didn't bother with the other weights; 16 and 18 lbs.

After putting another 300 rds through the gun suppressed there was no increased finish wear on the rails. The gun didn't muzzle dip, brass ejected about the same with the suppressor as it does without using lighter 147gr loads, which is what I will primarily use with the suppressor.

I will keep an eye on the pistol finish wear moving forward, and realize that my current round count isn't high enough for long term absolute conclusions. However, my feeling is that changing the spring to avoid frame battering while shooting suppressed using 147gr target ammo is unnecessary. If a diet of hotter ammo was to be used for an extended amount of time changing the spring to something lighter than 20lbs may make sense.

The 20lb spring made the gun feel like it was taking more abuse when returning to battery than it could be preventing.

There were no malfunctions of any kind during this testing. Also of note the Wolff springs are single coil whereas the stock sig spring is multiple strong coil.

If anyone else has any experience with this I am interested in hearing about it.

Thanks for reading.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I use to run a,supressed German SIG 226 back in the late 80s threw the 90s . I used stock recoil spring and never had a problem.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    How many suppressed rounds are we talking about here?

I'm sure there would be no problem for a couple few thousand. I'm interested in long term effects. If there will be some negative consequences I might want to get another p226.

Really like the sigs and CZs. Both are very accurate. I've been shooting sigs much longer as I recently acquired the CZs so am more proficient with them, but they are easy to shoot well.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have to say... why the hell did this gun not come with a threaded barrel as a standard feature???

What threaded Barrel did you put in it?

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I have a Legion 226 SAO and several cans in ATF jail. When I bought my Legion I took my old 226 and got a threaded barrel for it so I can use it for suppressor use and not beat up my Legion. It is my understanding that suppressing a pistol causes premature wear and I paid too much for the Legion to mess it up. If I am wrong then maybe I should swap the threaded barrel to the Legion and sell the old 226...

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ... It is my understanding that suppressing a pistol causes premature wear and I paid too much for the Legion to mess it up....

I would have to say that no modern pistol is worth having if you can't suppress it. A "modern" pistol to me includes being able to suppress. If you can't, you are a generation behind. Front Rails, Ambi parts... this stuff is becoming standard. No serious modern pistol should be made today without knowing it will be suppressed and working that into the design.

I mean look at it this way. Sig wants to extract every last dime out of you for the legion series because its "tailored to meet your elite requirements". I mean how "elite" can it be without a threaded Barrel?

Painstakingly engineered and enhanced for the discerning few with the same warrior spirit that inspired it. We have always given professionals what they need. Now, we are giving them what they want.

The SIG P226® and P229® are the two most prevalent SIG SAUER® platforms in service use today. Now these masterful firearms are receiving a series of enhancements based on the needs and wants of professionals. The most highly regarded firearms in the professional community are receiving a serious upgrade. For those who demand the best, now we have something even better.

What, you mean to tell me with that hype, the idea that the professionals, elite and warriors would not want a suppressor...

Sorry, this has gotten under my skin as I was ready to buy a Dark Elite specifically to host a suppressor. They drop that and come up with this "masterful firearm" and they don't even have a version with a threaded Barrel! Now I must either drop another $200-$250 for a threaded barrel or wait until they come to their senses and release a threaded barrel version. I mean I am going to drop serious money on a pistol and then need to upgrade before my first shot. :tdown:

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I would have to say that no modern pistol is worth having if you can't suppress it. A "modern" pistol to me includes being able to suppress. If you can't, you are a generation behind. Front Rails, Ambi parts... this stuff is becoming standard. No serious modern pistol should be made today without knowing it will be suppressed and working that into the design.

I mean look at it this way. Sig wants to extract every last dime out of you for the legion series because its "tailored to meet your elite requirements". I mean how "elite" can it be without a threaded Barrel?

What, you mean to tell me with that hype, the idea that the professionals, elite and warriors would not want a suppressor...

Sorry, this has gotten under my skin as I was ready to buy a Dark Elite specifically to host a suppressor. They drop that and come up with this "masterful firearm" and they don't even have a version with a threaded Barrel! Now I must either drop another $200-$250 for a threaded barrel or wait until they come to their senses and release a threaded barrel version. I mean I am going to drop serious money on a pistol and then need to upgrade before my first shot. :tdown:

All valid points. I still love the gun but I cannot argue that a threaded barrel would have made more sense, especially as an option. Now that Sig is making their own suppressors it seems to me like something they would definitely do...

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Gemtech barrel is what I got. They are just sig factory barrels in a gem tech packaging.

I did mention this in the initial post

Silencerco also sells them. I have been impressed with their barrels. More expensive than lone wolf, but in my experience they are a little more accurate. Supposedly they are made by lone wolf with silencerco specs. So who knows.

But yeah it should have come with one to begin with. Likely the premium would have increased the cost to make it prohibitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom