• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Okilie-dokilie...

So I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger on my first suppressor (a .22 naturally). Anyway, I have a couple of MkIIs that I honestly think I'd be better off selling to a "collector" instead of paying to have them cut/threaded. Also, it's an opportunity to buy another pistol. I already have an SR22 and a MkII/III 22/45 Franken pistol (MkII 22/45 top end on a MkIII 22/45 bottom) that's already threaded in addition to the S&W M&P 15-22 pistol I'm SBR'ing. So, if I'm looking for something else, what should it be?

MkIV 22/45 Lite?
    S&W M&P compact?
    Taurus TX22?
    Browning Buckmark Micro Bull?
    Something else?

I'd LOVE a Beretta 70S but they're hard to find. I'd like to avoid pot-metal crap

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If you're going to get a .22 can make sure to get a .45 and a .30cal at the same time. Once you shoot suppressed you'll want to suppress all your firearms. It'll save you time in the long run trust me.

What about a 1911 Clone in .22?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I run threaded mark ii ruger's mainly. They handle the crud better than most other systems I've seen/tried. High standards are great but expensive and you need to buy a barrel to thread so you don't booger the collector value by threading the original one.

Had a smith 622 with a custom made replacement barrel nut and it made a.great host for smaller, lighter, cans but wouldn't accommodate my custom made monster 10" (looks a lot like a SIONICS rifle can). That big boy is practical joke quiet on a ruger.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I run threaded mark ii ruger's mainly. They handle the crud better than most other systems I've seen/tried. High standards are great but expensive and you need to buy a barrel to thread so you don't booger the collector value by threading the original one.

Had a smith 622 with a custom made replacement barrel nut and it made a.great host for smaller, lighter, cans but wouldn't accommodate my custom made monster 10" (looks a lot like a SIONICS rifle can). That big boy is practical joke quiet on a ruger.

The old Smiths are awesome suppressor hosts
    First pistol I ever bought was a 622. Managed to pick up a 422 and a 2206 off of Gunbroker several years ago.
    First pic is the 422, 2206, and 622.
    Bottom pic is the 622 with a Sparrow can
    The 2206 is an even better host (for me) as it’s all stainless so it has some heft to it.
    b69792588077bcd3d81b042b8d030398.jpg

938b4e7d5709d024549fb17860ea2ba4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    The M&P .22 i have is threaded. its flush to the slide, you install an adapter. Nice thing is its full size so you can train with it using your regular m&p holsters.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The old Smiths are awesome suppressor hosts
    First pistol I ever bought was a 622. Managed to pick up a 422 and a 2206 off of Gunbroker several years ago.
    First pic is the 422, 2206, and 622.
    Bottom pic is the 622 with a Sparrow can
    The 2206 is an even better host (for me) as it’s all stainless so it has some heft to it.
    b69792588077bcd3d81b042b8d030398.jpg

938b4e7d5709d024549fb17860ea2ba4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had a chance to grab a 2206 years ago and didn't. Really should have. I ended up selling the 622 to a buddy since he used it every time we shot a steel challenge together anyway. Those guns are awesome shooters. I mostly migrated to mark ii rugers because they could go a lot longer between cleaning and would support the huge can. Hold a thumb behind the bolt and it is quieter than a pellet gun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a LOT of 22 suppressor hosts, but there are a couple that are definitely favorites. My AR22 SBR is easily everyone's favorite. 4.5" barrel, 7" handguard tucks my rimfire cans almost completely, it's quiet, easy to shoot, and at my club's steel handgun range it can make anyone giggle.

Next is my newest host, and IMO the best choice for you as you already have a rimfire SBR and threaded MK series. Sig p322. It's accurate, reliable, easy to shoot, comfortable in the hand, good trigger, factory threaded barrel adapter, 20rd flush mags, optics ready. Basically everything you could want out of the box, top with a micro dot if you want. This is the ultimate all around rimfire pistol, and great as a suppressor host.

Third is pretty much the only one actually on your list, the MK4 lite. I love mine, extremely accurate, comfortable, good controls, and probably the best actual suppressor host. It might not have 20rd mags like the P322, but it is balanced supremely well with a can, extremely accurate, and due to the relatively enclosed design of it's barrel/upper probably the quietest handgun host out there. The factory trigger isn't great, but the VQ replacement is. The factory pic rail mounts a dot really high, but aftermarket sight mount and a higher front sight make it co-witness and so much better. It will outshoot the awesome P322, which is no small task, but it's also quieter through all my cans, and the sky is the limit for options and parts.

The last is a pistol I had 0 intentions of buying till my 11YO pointed it out to me at a gun shop, and a quick google search led to "poor man's HK MP7". This is the Kel-tec CP33. A large, goofy, "competition pistol" with a 33rd quad stack mag and extensions for a whopping 50 rd capacity. Add a farowtech brace/stock(waiting on a form1 for mine) top with a red dot, and it's magic. The shockingly great trigger and supreme accuracy make this thing fun as hell. Holds an entire box of ammo, and is pretty quiet with a can. It's definitely a niche pistol, the heel mag release is goofy, and the mags have to be loaded correctly in order for it to be reliable. Even so, there is nothing like a 50rd mag dump from "the poor man's MP7".

20230413_083028.jpg

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a LOT of 22 suppressor hosts, but there are a couple that are definitely favorites. My AR22 SBR is easily everyone's favorite. 4.5" barrel, 7" handguard tucks my rimfire cans almost completely, it's quiet, easy to shoot, and at my club's steel handgun range it can make anyone giggle.

Next is my newest host, and IMO the best choice for you as you already have a rimfire SBR and threaded MK series. Sig p322. It's accurate, reliable, easy to shoot, comfortable in the hand, good trigger, factory threaded barrel adapter, 20rd flush mags, optics ready. Basically everything you could want out of the box, top with a micro dot if you want. This is the ultimate all around rimfire pistol, and great as a suppressor host.

Third is pretty much the only one actually on your list, the MK4 lite. I love mine, extremely accurate, comfortable, good controls, and probably the best actual suppressor host. It might not have 20rd mags like the P322, but it is balanced supremely well with a can, extremely accurate, and due to the relatively enclosed design of it's barrel/upper probably the quietest handgun host out there. The factory trigger isn't great, but the VQ replacement is. The factory pic rail mounts a dot really high, but aftermarket sight mount and a higher front sight make it co-witness and so much better. It will outshoot the awesome P322, which is no small task, but it's also quieter through all my cans, and the sky is the limit for options and parts.

The last is a pistol I had 0 intentions of buying till my 11YO pointed it out to me at a gun shop, and a quick google search led to "poor man's HK MP7". This is the Kel-tec CP33. A large, goofy, "competition pistol" with a 33rd quad stack mag and extensions for a whopping 50 rd capacity. Add a farowtech brace/stock(waiting on a form1 for mine) top with a red dot, and it's magic. The shockingly great trigger and supreme accuracy make this thing fun as hell. Holds an entire box of ammo, and is pretty quiet with a can. It's definitely a niche pistol, the heel mag release is goofy, and the mags have to be loaded correctly in order for it to be reliable. Even so, there is nothing like a 50rd mag dump from "the poor man's MP7".

View attachment 409671
    You seem to have a problem. More hosts than suppressors. You need to fix that.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I had a chance to grab a 2206 years ago and didn't. Really should have. I ended up selling the 622 to a buddy since he used it every time we shot a steel challenge together anyway. Those guns are awesome shooters. I mostly migrated to mark ii rugers because they could go a lot longer between cleaning and would support the huge can. Hold a thumb behind the bolt and it is quieter than a pellet gun.
    Lol, I did that last time I was at the range with some .22 subs. It’s pretty damn quiet

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd LOVE a Beretta 70S but they're hard to find. I'd like to avoid pot-metal crap
    Keep looking for a Beretta, or a Walther PP/PPK series gun. Expect to pay $700 ish. I'd also consider an Astra Constable. You're right about avoiding pot-metal, the older guns were better-made. (One of the secrets about the Walther PP was that it had two descendants. The PPK was one...the other was the Olympia Modell.)

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    ...4.5" barrel, 7" handguard tucks my rimfire cans almost completely

View attachment 409671

I've had my can "freeze" onto my barrel (rifle and pistol) nearly every time I've shot it. Which requires me using a plastic jawed wrench near the nubbies of the can at the muzzle.

I assume you never experience this with your can? How do you make sure the can is snug with it being so far under the hand guard? And how would you get it off if it did freeze up?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've had my can "freeze" onto my barrel (rifle and pistol) nearly every time I've shot it. Which requires me using a plastic jawed wrench near the nubbies of the can at the muzzle.

I assume you never experience this with your can? How do you make sure the can is snug with it being so far under the hand guard? And how would you get it off if it did freeze up?
    C5A on the threads of all my rimfire rigs seems to solve this issue. Tried oils. Nah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom