Suppressor suggestions for .358 Win & .357 Max?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I am putting together a 20" .358 Win and would like to suppress it (somewhat). Probably not shooting sub-sonics, mainly factory ammo and just trying to reduce the blast for hunting, trying to preserve what's left of my ears.

I have an 8" .357 Max Contender barrel I use for deer and I'd like to be able to suppress that with the same device. I use both full power and reduced loads.

So, basically looking at 35 caliber suppressors that will tolerate rifle pressures.

I plan to have both barrels threaded the same and don't really need a quick-detach system.

I don't want to spend any more than I need to, but a few hundred one way or the other isn't a big deal.

There are several I saw that are rated for .338LM, etc, but I think they're going to be heavier than I need.

One model I was looking at is the 'Q PorQ Chop'. Seems like what I need, but it's designed for the 8.6BO, so I'd have to ask if it will work with the .358W.
    https://www.silencershop.com/q-porq-chop.html

I saw mention of using a YHM R9 with a 9mm cap...
    https://www.silencershop.com/yhm-r9.html

Wilson Combat makes one (out of stock and not priced), but I'd bet they're 25% more than I need to spend. This one specifically mentions .358Win:
    https://wilsoncombat.com/whisper-suppressor-9mm-caliber.html

Anyone have experience suppressing anything like this?

Suggestions for maker and model?

Thank You!

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    YHM R9 is way better than its size and cost reflect. I really like the primal on my 350 legend. If you get your rifle set up I could probably get some cans together to try out.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Rex Silentium sells a 35 caliber can. Heavy, but they work. Not too spendy.

St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    I think it's all depends on how much your willing to spend like a 338lm that's lightweight will cost more in general, however if it was me I'd get a 338 suppressor because it's more versatile and it's able to shoot 338 and your not stuck in at 35 cal range or below. Just my opinion though get what you want and will enjoy and use.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    What about the new YHM bad larry?

YHM R9 is way better than its size and cost reflect. I really like the primal on my 350 legend. If you get your rifle set up I could probably get some cans together to try out.

Agreed 100%. The R9 is so good I went out and bought a Turbo immediately after shooting it for the first time.

53528137270_f5af9c2283_c_d.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I think it's all depends on how much your willing to spend like a 338lm that's lightweight will cost more in general, however if it was me I'd get a 338 suppressor because it's more versatile and it's able to shoot 338 and your not stuck in at 35 cal range or below. Just my opinion though get what you want and will enjoy and use.
    Thank you for your input!

For the few hundred one way or another on a purchase like this, money isn't a deciding factor and I'd spend a grand if I thought I needed to. I'm looking at all options if you have experience with a specific recommendation.

Big mags like the .338LM are out of the equation, so I simply don't need that capability. If I did get a suppressor rated for the .338 mags, which I'm not ruling out, it would have to accommodate the larger .357/.358 bores and be as lightweight as the cans rated for the .308. Any suppressor rated for .308 down to 20" or less would handle the cartridges I have in mind.

What about the new YHM bad larry?

Agreed 100%. The R9 is so good I went out and bought a Turbo immediately after shooting it for the first time.

Thank you! Seems to be a .338 bore, but I'll take a closer look and compare that to the R9.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Look into a SilencerCo Hybrid. Good up to a 46 cal projectile. I use it on 556, 308 and 45/70. There are a ton of options/mounts/end caps, etc available. Been real happy with it. Well, except when I forget the proper screw mount for the caliber I intend to shoot that day.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Rugged Alaskan 360, in Titanium. (Stainless option available) will handle ANYTHING below .36 cal. No barrel length restrictions, lifetime no questions asked warranty, universal HUB mounting (1.375x24) The titanium model weighs less than 6oz

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Look into a SilencerCo Hybrid. Good up to a 46 cal projectile. I use it on 556, 308 and 45/70. There are a ton of options/mounts/end caps, etc available. Been real happy with it. Well, except when I forget the proper screw mount for the caliber I intend to shoot that day.
    Thank you. That looks like a decent unit.
    Rugged Alaskan 360, in Titanium. (Stainless option available) will handle ANYTHING below .36 cal. No barrel length restrictions, lifetime no questions asked warranty, universal HUB mounting (1.375x24) The titanium model weighs less than 6oz
    Thank you. I'll look at that one too. 6oz is VERY attractive.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thank you. That looks like a decent unit.

Thank you. I'll look at that one too. 6oz is VERY attractive.
    You’re welcome. FYI, if you go with the steel version, it weighs in at less than 12oz and comes with Rugged HUB mount (the universal 1.375x24) The titanium model comes with a direct thread mount, only. Which is one of the reasons I went with the heavier of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom