• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Does anyone know what branch of service LTC Bateman is in? As an ex-military officer myself, I am ashamed of him using his title in a blog of his personal opinion (by the way, I know that blogs are personal opinions, so I apologize for being redundant). The disclaimer that it is his personal opinion is rather lame when he includes his military rank in his by line.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    He's and idiot. He doesn't know what a "well-regulated militia" is, nor does he understand the purpose of maintaining an armed populace. Because he doesn't understand this on the most fundamental levels, you cannot argue with him.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The dear LTC lives in England where you cannot carry a bottle of soda without being considered a violent offender. Where roaming gangs control the streets and if you try to defend yourself you are now the criminal. He is supposedly a US soldier, who by his own admission is trampling on the very constitution he swore an oath to protect. May he RIH.

If the dear LTC actually understood the meaning of a "well regulated militia" he would know that at the time of the framing of the constitution it meant individual citizens, not a state run militia which was referred to as an organized militia. The National Guard would either be considered a standing army or organized militia. In terms of a "well regulated" and "organized" are very different. "well regulated" is also very different from a "standing army".

Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis
    If the dear LTC actually understood the meaning of a "well regulated militia" he would know that at the time of the framing of the constitution it meant individual citizens, not a state run militia which was referred to as an organized militia.

If someone wants to know what the actual writers and signers of the Constitution intended regarding "well regulated militias" the Federalist papers are essential reading. The militia referred to were indeed state-run militias, comprised of citizens of each state and with officers chosen by the individual states; as opposed to a standing army controlled by the federal government and with officers chosen by the federal government. Madison writes in Federalist Paper #46 of the state militias' ability to thwart any attempt by a standing army controlled by the federal government to take over the country.

The term "well-regulated" at that time was synonymous with 'in proper working order'. The Militia Act of 1792 further defined the militias' composition, and the extent and nature of the militias' authorities and relationships with the federal government.

http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_act_1792.htm

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    There is another point of view about the meaning of that first part of the 2nd Amendment. Since an armed militia or standing army of some kind is a necessity for government, it is also a necessity for individual citizens to be armed, should they need to resist a government that attempts to oppress the people through use of that army.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    That article is full of stupid. He will pry them from my cold, dead hands? That's funny shit since I have 5 sons that are being trained how to use my firearms, and use them against people like Master Bateman if need be. F u kernal.

Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis
    There is another point of view about the meaning of that first part of the 2nd Amendment. Since an armed militia or standing army of some kind is a necessity for government, it is also a necessity for individual citizens to be armed, should they need to resist a government that attempts to oppress the people through use of that army.

That's not "another point of view"; it's naturally followed with the second part of 2A.

Beretta950BS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2013
    Palm Coast FL
    Many "scholars" also seem to not understand "well regulated." In 1787 "well regulated" meant - "to be regular..." to be "well prepared." All townsmen "WERE" the milita and to be well regulated {well prepared} each townsmen must own/bear arms and be practiced so they could be "well prepared" as a moments notice.

Attorneys spend their lives crafting documents that can be interpreted "either way" so as to promote litigation and thus foster their business.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Many "scholars" also seem to not understand "well regulated." In 1787 "well regulated" meant - "to be regular..." to be "well prepared." All townsmen "WERE" the milita and to be well regulated {well prepared} each townsmen must own/bear arms and be practiced so they could be "well prepared" as a moments notice.

More specifically, the term "well-regulated" in 2A means "smooth-running", as with a regulator clock.

Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis

Not "townsmen" per se; rather "each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years". There were also certain exceptions.

Beretta950BS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2013
    Palm Coast FL
    More specifically, the term "well-regulated" in 2A means "smooth-running", as with a regulator clock.
    Anti's try to apply 21st century meaning to 18th century text.

In this Christmas season "Don we now our gay apparel..." Does that mean some Guy named Don is wearing Homosexual clothing? or did it mean now we put on our festive clothing for the holiday season?

Of course those who apply the meaning of text in its written context know EXACTLY what it means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom