• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    At least Trump had the balls to nominate Gorsuch to the SCOTUS. Turned out to be a friend of the 2nd Amendment.

I only wish Hogan had the same balls to take on the liberals in MD.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    What this means today is the court has the same make up it had 2 years ago AND Kennedy is not retiring. So until he does this will be the likely outcome and we should just get used to it and urge him to retire.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hopefully Kennedy *and* RBG retire.

I don't think RGB will retire.

In a way it's a good thing, because it may very well have been a 5-4 loss for the 2A. With Justice Kennedy being the swing vote he could have potentially ruled that states have a right to place restrictions on conceal carry citing public safety interests.

Well there could be an argument made that the states do have a right to place restrictions on CCW. However open carry should be unrestricted. If that ends up the case, most states will adopt shall issue CCW so people aren't walking around openly strapped all the time. Im okay with that.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This is insanely frustrating. I bet no one retires in Trumps first term and the way things are going he won't get a second.

Uggghhhh. Looking more and more like i just need to move

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    And they allowed tax payer dollars to go to church playgrounds, which is confusing because churches don't pay taxes.

That's actually a different story. The case regarded a grant that was provided to make all daycare centers into the town safer by providing them with rubber fill reclaimed from recycled tires. The money for the program came from a surcharge that everybody in that town pays when buying new tires. The church in question ran a center that was open for anyone. Even Justice Kagan confirmed that in this case, a religious test for providing materials granted to all daycare centers was inappropriate.

Think of it this way, if a church, a synagogue, a mosque, or a temple of the flying spaghetti monster caught fire, wouldn't the fire department, funded by taxpayer dollars, put the fire out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    In the meanwhile, Trump needs to continue nominating judges to fill the 100+ federal court vacancies. These federal district courts are usually the first line of defense in the judicial system when it comes to defending or attacking gun rights.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    From John Farnam:

26 June 17

Supremes:

It is truly said:

“Where you stand depends on where you sit!”

Today, our Supreme Court cynically declined to hear the Peruta V CA Case.
    Justices Thomas and Gorsuch magnificently dissented!

I can’t put it more eloquently:

“The Constitution does not rank certain rights above others, and I do not
    think this Court should impose such a hierarchy by selectively enforcing
    its preferred rights. Second Amendment rights are no less protected by our
    Constitution than other rights enumerated in that document.

The Court has not heard argument in a Second Amendment case in over seven
    years—since March 2, 2010, in McDonald v Chicago. Since that time, we
    have heard argument in, for example, roughly 35 cases where the question
    presented turned on the meaning of the First Amendment and 25 cases that turned
    on the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. This discrepancy is inexcusable,
    especially given how much less developed our jurisprudence is with respect
    to the Second Amendment as compared to the First and Fourth Amendments.

For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a
    vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might
    seem antiquated and superfluous. But, the Framers made a clear choice:
    They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do
    not think we should stand-by idly, while a State denies its citizens that
    right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.

I respectfully dissent.”

Thomas and Gorsuch are genuine heroes!

... and they will have their day!

Before DJT’s first term ends, Justice Thomas will be writing the MAJORITY
    ruling in a Second Amendment Case.

In the interim, Californians are on their own. Their governor, state
    legislature, and at least some of the Supremes consider them expendable.

No “marbled halls” protect them, nor for that matter, the rest of us!

/John

THANKS for posting this. This is where we should focus, the tide IS turning our way.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The one phrase we hear a lot about is: , “Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited."

Okay what are the limits of the 2nd Amendment? Heller court opinion made that sentence very clear. Period. Don't take this out of context.

"For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues.
    The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

Heller vs DC DID in the opinion clearly state:

At the time of the founding, as now, to “bear” meant to “carry.” See Johnson 161; Webster; T. Sheridan, A Complete Dictionary of the English Language (1796); 2 Oxford English Dictionary 20 (2d ed. 1989) (hereinafter Oxford). When used with “arms,” however, the term has a meaning that refers to carrying for a particular purpose—confrontation. In Muscarello v. United States, 524 U.*S. 125 (1998) , in the course of analyzing the meaning of “carries a firearm” in a federal criminal statute, Justice Ginsburg wrote that “urely a most familiar meaning is, as the Constitution’s Second Amendment … indicate: ‘wear, bear, or carry … upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose … of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.’*”

We think that Justice Ginsburg accurately captured the natural meaning of “bear arms.” Although the phrase implies that the carrying of the weapon is for the purpose of “offensive or defensive action,” it in no way connotes participation in a structured military organization.

There are many reasons why the militia was thought to be “necessary to the security of a free state.” See 3 Story §1890. First, of course, it is useful in repelling invasions and suppressing insurrections. Second, it renders large standing armies unnecessary—an argument that Alexander Hamilton made in favor of federal control over the militia. The Federalist No. 29, pp. 226, 227 (B. Wright ed. 1961) (A. Hamilton). Third, when the able-bodied men of a nation are trained in arms and organized, they are better able to resist tyranny.

Nothing in this court order that said anything about "public safety", Is there? No!! It is for the militia necessity of security of a free state. Militia is every able bodied man and women who can carry a firearm.
    "All able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service."

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Re-elect him and I believe you'll see him take action on that.

hogan wont rock the boat now or even if he gets a second tem. hes looking for higher office in md and to get the positions he wants he has to stay 2a neutral of push left. nothing he has done leads me to believe he will ever do anything pro 2a. but I would like to be wrong.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    hogan wont rock the boat now or even if he gets a second tem. hes looking for higher office in md and to get the positions he wants he has to stay 2a neutral of push left. nothing he has done leads me to believe he will ever do anything pro 2a. but I would like to be wrong.

You could be right, but I believe it would be a huge mistake if we try to run a different candidate for governor. The democrats are already massing forces and we need to run someone with a track record that Marylanders can appreciate. He has accomplished a great many things fiscally and enjoys a high degree of popularity. While I would love to be able to carry a gun in my pocket, I'll settle for more money in my pocket for now.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    You could be right, but I believe it would be a huge mistake if we try to run a different candidate for governor. The democrats are already massing forces and we need to run someone with a track record that Marylanders can appreciate. He has accomplished a great many things fiscally and enjoys a high degree of popularity. While I would love to be able to carry a gun in my pocket, I'll settle for more money in my pocket for now.

I agree with most of what you say but the bolded part baffles me because my md taxes and the md taxes of the guys under my employ have gone up since Hogan took office. I hear all about what he has done for people tax wise and business wise and its as hard or harder to run a business in md than when oldsmelly was in the governors mansion. when will all this business and tax relief trickle down to the regular joes in md? let me guess, in his second term??

I know he is the republicans only chance and I hope he does something to get more folks out to vote for him. just speaking pro 2a would go a long ways.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The one phrase we hear a lot about is: , “Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited."
    Okay what are the limits of the 2nd Amendment?

Scalia often referred to 18th Century "Frighting" laws as the historical template for his belief that the Second Amendment was not absolute. These misdemeanors were enacted to prohibit the [open] carrying of really scary weapons like big axes or sieves that might scare women and children on the streets.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So I should be able to open carry my tiny little Beretta Pico since it won't scare anyone ;-)
    532c9f2fff6a5f7919a89d2e2faf62b3.jpg

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Scalia often referred to 18th Century "Frighting" laws as the historical template for his belief that the Second Amendment was not absolute. These misdemeanors were enacted to prohibit the [open] carrying of really scary weapons like big axes or sieves that might scare women and children on the streets.

:thumbsup: Thank you. I see someone understands the concepts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom