Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Am I taking crazy pills? I thought Bianchi was already hijacked to en banc without ever having the panel opinion released and we were waiting for the en banc this entire time?

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    I interpret this as the three judge panel was going to strike down the assault weapon band. En Banc realized this, and ended up taking the case in order to avoid the ruling.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    How did we get to an en banc when there was no panel decision on the remand?
    I would guess it is due to the fact that Kolbe is the en banc precedent that drove this case. There may be some precedent that only en banc courts can over rule previous en banc precedents.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    With these ridiculous judges nowadays I have a feeling this is what I need to go back to the Supreme Court. The fourth serve is going to find some stupid reason that it is constitutional. The fact they are even allowed to play. These games is sickening.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I'd love to read the decision that isn't going to be released.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I would guess it is due to the fact that Kolbe is the en banc precedent that drove this case. There may be some precedent that only en banc courts can over rule previous en banc precedents.
    So it doesn't necessarily indicate a majority of judges in 4CA have already made their decision against us, because the decision to go en banc is procedural?

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    So it doesn't necessarily indicate a majority of judges in 4CA have already made their decision against us, because the decision to go en banc is procedural?

If 3 judges heard originally, and it was prolly gonna be 2-1 in our favor, then a majority of judges needed to disagree with that decision and vote to take it.

I’d argue they’ve already made their decision and this is just a way to keep buying time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If 3 judges heard originally, and it was prolly gonna be 2-1 in our favor, then a majority of judges needed to disagree with that decision and vote to take it.

I’d argue they’ve already made their decision and this is just a way to keep buying time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. No soothsaying needed...

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    One of the holdings in Kolbe was that "assault weapons" don't have 2A protection. Bruen technically did not "decide anything about the kinds of weapons that people may possess." (Alito concurrence).

While I believe that Bruen clarified the issue enough to demonstrate that it should be overruled, it is a little unclear whether this holding can be overruled by a panel, or the en banc. They seem to have decided that it needs to be an en banc

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    One of the holdings in Kolbe was that "assault weapons" don't have 2A protection. Bruen technically did not "decide anything about the kinds of weapons that people may possess." (Alito concurrence).

While I believe that Bruen clarified the issue enough to demonstrate that it should be overruled, it is a little unclear whether this holding can be overruled by a panel, or the en banc. They seem to have decided that it needs to be an en banc
    Bruen didn't, but Heller already did with the "In Common Use" test. And in Bruen, it was made clear than Heller was still good law and affirmed, not overturned.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The serial number cases (Price) is also en banc with the same instruction of next available argument session. HQL is going to en banc argument in March.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    In my opinion this is an example of an abusive judiciary. They are slow walking this case by design. They have had this case for well over a year, and I believe they are trying to stick it to the Supreme Court with this slow pace.

The right to keep and bear arms remains disfavored in the 4th circuit.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    In my opinion this is an example of an abusive judiciary. They are slow walking this case by design. They have had this case for well over a year, and I believe they are trying to stick it to the Supreme Court with this slow pace.

It’s favored by the constitution so ultimately they will fail

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Agreed. I hope they get their asses handed to them by SCOTUS

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom