Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Audio, yes, video, no which is what I assumed he was asking (yeah, I know what happens when I assume)

It was an either/or question. I knew they did originally and listened but want sure if the full en banc was different than the 3 judge panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Would it be possible to FOIA all internal correspondence from 4CA that contains the word "Bianchi" over the past 16 months to find out what happened behind the scenes to arrive at the en banc order? Or would those internal court discussions be FOIA exempt because they're in the Judicial, not Executive, Branch, and therefore not an "agency" for FOIA purposes?

If FOIA isn't an option, maybe a PIA request to MDOAG asking essentially the same question might be in order, in case there was backchannel communication between 4CA staff and MDOAG about intent to bypass normal procedure to get to en banc in this case?

The whole dirty process in this case begs for some sunlight.
    FOIA applies to the executive branch.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It was an either/or question. I knew they did originally and listened but want sure if the full en banc was different than the 3 judge panel.

Again, an assumption on my part that failed.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    cali / 9th circus / awb oral argument tomorrow. Specifics TBA … FPC Twitter feed will have when published. They say they’ll have link to stream when available

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD

giphy.gif

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMG_0639.png

SAF, CCRKBA ASK SCOTUS TO REVIEW MARYLAND SEMI-AUTO BAN

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms have once again petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to grant certiorari in their continuing challenge of Maryland’s ban on so-called “assault weapons.”

SAF and CCRKBA are joined in this petition by the Firearms Policy Coalition, Field Traders, LLC, and three private citizens, David Snope, Micah Schaefer and Dominic Bianchi, for whom the case is titled. The case is known as Bianchi v. Frosh. The Supreme Court in late June 2022 granted certiorari in the case, and vacated the earlier ruling by a lower federal court and then remanded the case back to the Fourth Circuit for further action based on guidelines established in the 2022 Bruen ruling.

Since being remanded, the case was fully briefed and argued before a three-judge panel for the Fourth Circuit. Inexplicably, over a year after argument was held and with no panel opinion issued, the Fourth Circuit sua sponte elected to hear the case en banc, further delaying the exercise of a fundamental right and seemingly to prevent publication of an opinion that favors the plaintiffs. Seeking certiorari before judgment is an extraordinary remedy reserved for cases of imperative public importance.

“It is clear to us this case must be decided by the Supreme Court,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “The type of modern semiautomatic rifle banned in Maryland is in common use across the country, and is the most popular rifle in America. Yet, the Fourth Circuit and other courts of appeals have strained credulity to uphold such bans in the wake of the high court’s ruling in Bruen. This issue must be resolved.”

“The Fourth Circuit’s decision to hear this case en banc, over a year after it was argued before a panel and with no published opinion, seems to imply the court desired to take this case from a panel with which it disagreed,” noted SAF Executive Director Adam Kraut. “The unconstitutionality of Maryland’s Assault Weapons Ban has been apparent since it was passed into law, as Heller already provided the proper analysis, which the Fourth Circuit previously ignored to shield the law from a swift death. Intervention from the Supreme Court is necessary to restore order and force the lower courts to properly address this issue in a timely manner, as each day the Plaintiffs rights are being infringed upon.”

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Regardless of how screwed up the courts are and how much they hate the 2A, it makes me feel great having orgs like FPC and SAF that fight like this. Breath of fresh air since the NRA doesn’t do nearly enough for being the largest 2A org out there.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Regardless of how screwed up the courts are and how much they hate the 2A, it makes me feel great having orgs like FPC and SAF that fight like this. Breath of fresh air since the NRA doesn’t do nearly enough for being the largest 2A org out there.

I think it’s time to realize the NRA is more of a political lobbying machine as opposed to in the trenches daily fighting.
    I’m not derailing this, just saying they offer money to organizations to support these fights, but we also need people lobbying Washington.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    What about MSI?

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    While we still have another 6 weeks until oral arguments for the en banc, I would be very surprised to see SCOTUS act on this until after that happens. I think this is more about putting the lower courts on notice for now. We all expect this to end up at SCOTUS anyways, let's just hope this reduces the denial of rights period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom