Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    A response to a petition for cert is due 30 days after it is placed on the docket.
    En banc arguments are on 3/20/24.

So per the rules, MD will need to respond on or about the week of 3/11/24, right in the middle of their argument prep for all three cases.

The state will submit a 30 day extension request around 2/26 and receive it as a matter of course as a government body, but could another cert petition arrive.
    The extension requests are BS except in a few circumstances. They always get granted. How about they actually stick to the date the court sets.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    If the SCOTUS denies cert because the 4CA hasn’t issued its en banc opinion, are we precluded from filing for cert after the en banc opinion?

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    No. 23-863 because the link doesn't directly link the way it's being formatted by the forum software.
    Edit: Might just be the SOCTUS site right now.
    Second edit: Seems to be working now. SCOTUS site had a brief hiccup.
    This link seems to work for me.

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That’s just assigning a case number for them to discuss at some point right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I understand, for all intents and purposes it's really just the Clerk acknowledging all the necessary paperwork has been filed by the Appellant. It says nothing about potential disposition.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    That’s just assigning a case number for them to discuss at some point right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It starts the clock for a response. If the state intends on filing a waiver or extension, it will likely appear on the docket a week or two before the response deadline. The response date for the state is 13 March

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It looks like several existing AWB cases are jumping on the band wagon. How many more will join in?

Does having multiple cases increase the likely hood that SCOTUS will grant cert?
    IANAL, so there's that.

But if plaintiffs can dogpile a sufficient number of cases that have been shuffled off to Never-decide-land over issues that SCOTUS has taken pains to define, the Court might get a bit tired of being ignored.

Or being treated as an advisory body, with no real authority over Hawaii:

Long ago, the Hawaiʻi Supreme Court announced that an “opinion of the
    United States Supreme Court . . . is merely another source of authority, admittedly to be afforded respectful consideration, but which we are free to accept or reject in establishing the outer limits of protection afforded by . . . the Hawaiʻi Constitution.”

Even the 9th Circus might be offended at the logical extension of the Hawaii Supreme Court's impression of hierarhical authority; after all, where would this leave them? . . . Sloppy seconds, "respectful consideration-wise"?

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    It looks like several existing AWB cases are jumping on the band wagon. How many more will join in?

Does having multiple cases increase the likely hood that SCOTUS will grant cert?

This is probably my BGOS talking again, but I'm still not optimistic that SCOTUS is going to grant cert. They seem to be pretty doctrinaire about sticking to their refusal to review any case on an interlocutory basis, for reasons that we've discussed ad nauseum in this thread. I hope that I'm wrong, but we'll see. Even Mark Smith says the chance of cert is ~25%. Better than 0, but still not favorable to us.

IANAL, so there's that.

But if plaintiffs can dogpile a sufficient number of cases that have been shuffled off to Never-decide-land over issues that SCOTUS has taken pains to define, the Court might get a bit tired of being ignored.

Or being treated as an advisory body, with no real authority over Hawaii:

Long ago, the Hawaiʻi Supreme Court announced that an “opinion of the
    United States Supreme Court . . . is merely another source of authority, admittedly to be afforded respectful consideration, but which we are free to accept or reject in establishing the outer limits of protection afforded by . . . the Hawaiʻi Constitution.”

Even the 9th Circus might be offended at the logical extension of the Hawaii Supreme Court's impression of hierarhical authority; after all, where would this leave them? . . . Sloppy seconds, "respectful consideration-wise"?

This is certainly one place where I am curious to see if SCOTUS is willing to get involved, or at least issue a harsh public rebuke of some kind. It's pretty obvious that SCOTUS does not care much (yet) about asserting the Heller and Bruen decisions, but when a lower court tells SCOTUS that they are just an "advisory" body? Yeah, even Sotomayor and Brown-Jackson are going to have a hard time letting that one slide. Almost nobody at SCOTUS (besides Thomas) seems to want to take a strong stand in support of the 2A, but I can't imagine that any of the justices want to set the precedent that a circuit court gets away with telling them that they're only to be "afforded respectful consideration." That has implications which go FAR beyond the 2A...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom