• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Anyone have or has shot a weapon with a Surefire suppressor on it? Are they any good?

Anyone have a Surefire SF Ryder 22-A 22LR suppressor? Like? Dislike?

Does anyone know if any Class III dealers that might have one in stock?

Thanks,

Dave

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I don't own one or have shot one, but I think they have aluminum baffles. If that is the case, stay away, cleaning is beotch. For the price of the Surefire name, you can get an excellent 22 can with stainless baffles or mono core. Think Silencerco/SWR, gem tech, AAC, etc. Make sure any 22 can is serviceable.
    Check out Nfatalk and silencer talk for more info than you will ever want. Or talk to Vince.
    I do own a couple 22 cans and really like my SWR spectre II.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As said, aluminum baffles in a suppressor (Were talking about the Surefire Rimfire) is an awful execution. Anodizing only last so long before its eroded.

AS far as their centerfire cans go, they are great cans but terribly overpriced for the cost/performance.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have a SilencerCo Gen I 22Sparrow I had upgraded. I had a Aluminum core but is now Stainless after the upgrade.

I thought the Surefire baffles in the new 22 suppressor were Stainless Steel. Maybe I misread that.

Yeah I prefer Stainless Steel cores if possible. Makes cleaning a lot easier.

Dave

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have a SilencerCo Gen I 22Sparrow I had upgraded. I had a Aluminum core but is now Stainless after the upgrade.

I thought the Surefire baffles in the new 22 suppressor were Stainless Steel. Maybe I misread that.

Yeah I prefer Stainless Steel cores if possible. Makes cleaning a lot easier.

Dave

I was talking about the Ryder .Surefire .22. The baffles are aluminum from what I have seen.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Clandestine - Yeah, I looked at their website for this new one and it says aluminum outer body/tube and a stainless back shield but, nothing about what the baffles are made of other than they are anodized which lends me to think they may be aluminum.

Not sure. Thanks for the input though. I do agree. I try to stay away from aluminum baffles if possible especially with 22 cans.

Dave

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Like others said, the Surefire Ryder uses aluminum construction. I wouldn't recommend it for a first can.

The other Surefire centerfire cans have a good reputation and mounting system, but I've heard they're a bit louder than the competition.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    Yes, the Ryder uses anodized aluminum baffles. Cleaning them isn't that difficult, Kroil or Slip2000 Carbon Cutter and a nylon brush works well enough. Sometimes I'll use a plastic dental-type pick to get the stubborn crust off. Will you get it clean as new? Nah, but there is no need to be that clean. The center fire cans are nice though it has been noted that quality, full power ammo is best. However, if you can afford a Surefire, certainly you won't be using the cheapest surplus ammunition.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    2A Sales has Surefire Ryder 22's in stock if anyone wants to take a look at one.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I'm still waiting to see thread specs for the Ryder. From some of the pics, it almost looks like it seats on the muzzle.

reidpath

Jun 10, 2014
    Just picked a SF 556 socom. I and my daughter will be shooting it in tomorrow at Damascus IWLA.
    I have a 556 SOCOM and it pretty much is permanently attached to the muzzle on the host gun. It works great, but if you start pushing a large number of rounds through it, and let it cool while on the gun, it is going to be stuck on there until you can shoot it again and warm it back up. The QD ring will spin, but the can is definitely stuck to the MB.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I have a 556 SOCOM and it pretty much is permanently attached to the muzzle on the host gun. It works great, but if you start pushing a large number of rounds through it, and let it cool while on the gun, it is going to be stuck on there until you can shoot it again and warm it back up. The QD ring will spin, but the can is definitely stuck to the MB.

Thanks for that tid bit. I will keep that in mind.:thumbsup: Are you using the flash hider or the break, I wonder?

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Same thing happens to me, I'm using the brake. Sometimes I have to use a strap wrench to loosen the collar. I haven't let it cool down before taking it off but I always have a welding glove handy.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Try a little anti-seize on the mating surfaces. I've used it successfully on my Gemtech G2. It's a no brainer for thread on suppressors. I also use it on muzzleloader breach plugs. It works.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ths SF Centerfire cans are pretty bad when it comes to the mounts seizing up. the YHM mounts do too. Fireclean may help kill the carbon. I have had good luck with it.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Anyone have or has shot a weapon with a Surefire suppressor on it? Are they any good?

Anyone have a Surefire SF Ryder 22-A 22LR suppressor? Like? Dislike?

Does anyone know if any Class III dealers that might have one in stock?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave:

I have a couple Surefire cans and they work great! (Pics below). Overall, the Surefire centerfire cans are very high quality, heavy, and very expensive but they work wonderfully. Don't have their .22 can yet. Have enough .22 cans so not sure I will ever get one. Any FFL/SOT should be able to order one for you. Do it!!!

Same Surefire 5.56 can for a couple platforms:

HK%20MR556_PS90%20SBR%20W_Can%20Off.JPG

Surefire .308 can on a 300 Whisper T/C Contender project, these days though I am running it on an AAC Micro 7 bolt action in .300 Blackout. It is a great package!:

Suppressed%20300%20Whisper%20Rifle%20Project%20Pic1.JPG

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks for the pics and input everyone. I have several suppressors already. I was just wondering if Surefire was worth looking at to add to my collection. They looked pricey and did not want to spend the money if they are not worth it.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom