• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have to go to the area every couple of months or so early in the morning, and I'm always looking for someplace to go to breakfast other than McDonalds. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a sign for a Panera Bread in Wheaton Shopping Mall that was open at 7am. Maybe it opens earlier but that's when I got there.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    I have to go to the area every couple of months or so early in the morning, and I'm always looking for someplace to go to breakfast other than McDonalds. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a sign for a Panera Bread in Wheaton Shopping Mall that was open at 7am. Maybe it opens earlier but that's when I got there.

careful... that area was overthrown years ago and is considered a DMZ....

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    careful... that area was overthrown years ago and is considered a DMZ....

Yeah, the a.m. mall walkers are a pretty rough crowd.

Seriously I'd write off MoCo along DC and Balmer (both of which I avoid like the plague) but AACo seems to have a severe shortage of medical professionals.

Besides the Panera Bread in Rockville off of Shady Grove seems to be SWAT central. Hopefully the new Wheaton one will become the same.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    My dad graduated from Wheaton high back in 67 and he was one of the few minorities in his class being 1/2 Chamarro(Guam) and 1/4 Native American and 1/4 German. He volunteered the day after graduation and joined his fellow Marines in Vietnam. After being wounded at Khe Sahn and doing a stint as a DI he returned to Wheaton and in just a few years time he saw a noticable decline. His family moved to Silver Spring to a better area, but the cesspool followed them and my Grandma is still stuck behind enemy lines off of Connecticut Ave.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Actually there are lot of nice pockets around, no we're not all lilly white, but Ive got great neighbors who look out for my place and I look out for theirs and we actually talk and stuff....

Plus the end of cheap loans has meant a nice uptick in the use of single family homes for a single family

That and you cant beat 50's era construction when people gave a shit about the work they did.

None of which you can find in your exburban tract house horrors :-)

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    If you don't have to stay in the mall, go up the street to Nick's Diner.

11199 Veirs Mill Rd
    Wheaton, MD 20902

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Actually there are lot of nice pockets around, no we're not all lilly white, but Ive got great neighbors who look out for my place and I look out for theirs and we actually talk and stuff....

Plus the end of cheap loans has meant a nice uptick in the use of single family homes for a single family

That and you cant beat 50's era construction when people gave a shit about the work they did.

None of which you can find in your exburban tract house horrors :-)

Unfortunately MoCo has been governed by greedy real estate developers for the last few decades. Also, the liberal policies like the embracing of illegals, the unwillingness to offend gang members from PG and DC, and the redlight/speed camera traps just put it on a par with DC and Balmer for places I'd least like to visit.

LAD3DER

Aug 24, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, the a.m. mall walkers are a pretty rough crowd.
    Besides the Panera Bread in Rockville off of Shady Grove seems to be SWAT central. Hopefully the new Wheaton one will become the same.

The MC Public Service Training Academy is right down the road from the one in Shady Grove and they a very generous discount to Police & Fire which is why there are so many of them packed in there.

Last I heard Wheaton wanted to build a town center type area where the Safeway is... Can you imagine THAT crowd?

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    If you don't have to stay in the mall, go up the street to Nick's Diner.

11199 Veirs Mill Rd
    Wheaton, MD 20902

+1 on Nick's Diner. They have the best breakfast around those parts and there homemade sausage is awesome.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    . So I was pleasantly surprised to see a sign for a Panera Bread in Wheaton Shopping Mall that was open at 7am. Maybe it opens earlier but that's when I got there.

Have you tried POLLO CAMPERO?

Es muy bueno pollo-joint!!

I fvck with the staff all the time.

I'll wait until a couple of "compadres" go up to order, and when it's my turn, if the salesgal talks to be in English I flip out and raise my voice in Spanish demanding why she discriminates against me and speaks in English ("....just because I'm white doesn't mean that I'm not Hispanic!!") We then proceed with the order in Spanish and have regularly gotten a free flan out of it.

Somebody's got to teach them a lesson that discrimination is not permitted north of the Rio.

My wife is regularly mortified, but I'm having fun!!!

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Unfortunately MoCo has been governed by greedy real estate developers for the last few decades. Also, the liberal policies like the embracing of illegals, the unwillingness to offend gang members from PG and DC, and the redlight/speed camera traps just put it on a par with DC and Balmer for places I'd least like to visit.

eh....aside from the portions of Tacky Park along the PG line and parts of Montgomery Village that look like the ghetto sections of Annapolis it is pretty nice

Now Im waiting for the results of the real estate v. casa/gangs/pg crowd fight that finally seems to be brewing.

As to the government, I live in MD they are all loony tunes liberal except for the parts of the state that lack jobs/economic future/teeth, so given that choice Ill go for a shorter commute over sucking exhaust for 2 hours a day

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Have you tried POLLO CAMPERO?

Es muy bueno pollo-joint!!

I fvck with the staff all the time.

I'll wait until a couple of "compadres" go up to order, and when it's my turn, if the salesgal talks to be in English I flip out and raise my voice in Spanish demanding why she discriminates against me and speaks in English ("....just because I'm white doesn't mean that I'm not Hispanic!!") We then proceed with the order in Spanish and have regularly gotten a free flan out of it.

Somebody's got to teach them a lesson that discrimination is not permitted north of the Rio.

My wife is regularly mortified, but I'm having fun!!!

Clearly if you are eating at Pollo Campero you have no taste....Pollo Riki Kiki is so much better with Pollo Rico a good 2nd.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My dad graduated from Wheaton high back in 67 and he was one of the few minorities in his class being 1/2 Chamarro(Guam) and 1/4 Native American and 1/4 German. He volunteered the day after graduation and joined his fellow Marines in Vietnam. After being wounded at Khe Sahn and doing a stint as a DI he returned to Wheaton and in just a few years time he saw a noticable decline. His family moved to Silver Spring to a better area, but the cesspool followed them and my Grandma is still stuck behind enemy lines off of Connecticut Ave.

Looks like you and i have a lot in common. Pops went to Richard Montgomery and then went to Lai Khe in 67-69. And yes, grandma is still in Aspen Hill. She's dug in and wont leave.

Last edited:

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Clearly if you are eating at Pollo Campero you have no taste....Pollo Riki Kiki is so much better with Pollo Rico a good 2nd.

First of all, for a fast-food Pollo-joint, Pollo Campero is pretty good.

Now I prefer Crisp-n-Juicy, but I ain't about to turn my back on the ol' Campero, specially since I regularly shame the staff into apologizing for their Mexico-inspired racism by giving me a free flan.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom