• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There's a gun show in Frederick on October 13 & 14 (preceded by a knife show at the same venue on October 12).

If you're not a vendor, is there any advantage to taking one of your handguns to a gun show (e.g. in case a vendor does gunsmithing on site, such as putting in new sights or other mods)?

Also, for any gun show in Maryland, I presume that it is legal as long you transport the firearm locked, unloaded, and inaccessible in the car, and then one can then open carry it holstered and unloaded at the gun show venue? Or is the open carry on the Frederick fair grounds too much to hope for?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i doubt that someone will be doing sights at frederick.
    but, yes you can bring a pistol to the show.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Would it not be easier to just bring a gun to a reputable local gunsmith? If there even is a ‘gunsmith’ at the show you have no idea who is doing the work. Plus any real work that you cannot do yourself will take more time than some dude at the show will probably want to commit.

Having a good relationship with a local gunsmith is a good thing. Just my .02.

Last edited:
    Jul 26, 2012
    Maryland
    Would it not be easier to just bring a gun to a reputable local gunsmith? If there even is a ‘gunsmith’ you have no idea who is doing the work. Plus any real work that you cannot do yourself will take more time than some dude at the show will probably want to commit.

Sounds like good advice.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    There's a gun show in Frederick on October 13 & 14 (preceded by a knife show at the same venue on October 12).

If you're not a vendor, is there any advantage to taking one of your handguns to a gun show (e.g. in case a vendor does gunsmithing on site, such as putting in new sights or other mods)?

Also, for any gun show in Maryland, I presume that it is legal as long you transport the firearm locked, unloaded, and inaccessible in the car, and then one can then open carry it holstered and unloaded at the gun show venue? Or is the open carry on the Frederick fair grounds too much to hope for?

yes you can bring gun to the show..but no you can not open carry. they typically put a zip tie on it through the mag well.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    i doubt that someone will be doing sights at frederick.
    but, yes you can bring a pistol to the show.

Thanks, will be first time to attend, so didn't know what to expect.

Would it not be easier to just bring a gun to a reputable local gunsmith? If there even is a ‘gunsmith’ at the show you have no idea who is doing the work. Plus any real work that you cannot do yourself will take more time than some dude at the show will probably want to commit.

In truth, I've only checked one place locally (when looking for another firearm), and the gunsmith said that he didn't work on FiveSevens. Haven't had the chance to explore more.

yes you can bring gun to the show..but no you can not open carry. they typically put a zip tie on it through the mag well.

Darn, pretty unglamorous (not that I think that I will be bringing it based on the other posts). Anyway, will be fun to explore.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    In truth, I've only checked one place locally (when looking for another firearm), and the gunsmith said that he didn't work on FiveSevens. Haven't had the chance to explore more.

I am not knowledgeable about all MD gunsmiths. However if you post a thread in the handgun section about what you want for the FN, I will bet money the people that live near you will give an honest assessment of who you can trust to do the work.

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    Try Mid-Maryland Gun Repair, 301-898-7566. Run by 2 guys, Tom and Bill. They're on Hesslong Bridge Rd. in Thurmont.

They do good work, I take all my gunsmithing needs to them. Call them, maybe they can help you out.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    There is also BGS, ( Bollinger Gunsmithing & Sales ) in Taneytown, not that far from Frederick, 410 756-5454. I just met him recently and he does some very fine work. WIll custom build pretty much anything you want, change sights, has a great shop..which I would love to have :-). Very resonable priced also.

It is run by Bob and his wife Brandy.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Also, for any gun show in Maryland, I presume that it is legal as long you transport the firearm locked, unloaded, and inaccessible in the car,

Why would you think that it has to be locked and inaccessible? Nothing in the transport laws says that. Unloaded, and in a case or enclosed holster.

MH

YZF-R1

Aug 22, 2010
    The law may not say that but the MSP Web Training I believe says so. I was shocked to see that requirement.

That said, it's already blurry in my mind...

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Doesn't matter what they say, it's not part of the transport laws. They can't make up the laws that they like, as much as some of them would like to.

As a side note, it's a good idea to keep a copy of the transport laws in your range bag. Chances of you geting stopped and the officer finding out that the guns are there are slim anyways, but it would be good if it happens to be able to show that you are complying fully.

MH

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Why would you think that it has to be locked and inaccessible? Nothing in the transport laws says that. Unloaded, and in a case or enclosed holster.

MH

Doesn't matter what they say, it's not part of the transport laws. They can't make up the laws that they like, as much as some of them would like to.

As a side note, it's a good idea to keep a copy of the transport laws in your range bag. Chances of you geting stopped and the officer finding out that the guns are there are slim anyways, but it would be good if it happens to be able to show that you are complying fully.

MH

*winner* :) (best advice/info that is)

topgun1sg

Nov 28, 2007
    Westminster
    I second the motion on Mid Maryland gun repair. The smiths there can do any work on any gun and are relied upon heavily by the most competitive, picky shooters

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You might be able to take the gun to the gun show if you know a gunsmith will be onsite.

not necessarily correct..

you can bring also if you plan on trading it in or looking for parts etc. (my neighbor did.. even the PG county police was at the front door checking the gun he brought with him and put a zip tie on).

Stevearado

Oct 12, 2009
    St Mary's County
    I have a question regarding bringing guns to a MD show as well. At the MD shows I've been to, the officials/officers at the exit ask for receipts for the guns being carried out of the show. What does one do if they are carrying the gun they brought in out with the receipt requirement? Thanks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a question regarding bringing guns to a MD show as well. At the MD shows I've been to, the officials/officers at the exit ask for receipts for the guns being carried out of the show. What does one do if they are carrying the gun they brought in out with the receipt requirement? Thanks.

the receipt is for the gun you just purchased.. not necessarily the one you brought came in. Not all gunshow does this.

spselby

Sep 27, 2012
    Md Gun Show Smiths

Actually, there are several talented smiths at the Md and Va gun shows. I was sitting at the Upper Marlboro Silverado show next to a smith that made custom AR-15s. There are several other smiths that will be at the Chantilly show that starts tomorrow 9/28/12.

Scott Selby
    President
    FBKnife

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom