• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Post your own true stories of the anti-gunners in your own little wrinkled and tattered corner of the world. I thought about posting this behind the curtain, but I'd love the antis to read the stories, too... we all have'em!

This one's a two-parter...

Last week, we had the grandkids (aged 9 and 7) over for dinner. (Pretty sure I mentioned this elsewhere, but it's a lead-in to today.) Out of the blue the girl (9) states how she doesn't like guns. "They're bad and just kill animals."

OK... So we have a very high-altitude talk about good uses, and the boy mentions (paraphrasing) that they could be for poor people who can't buy food at the store.

FFwd to today...

We head out to Patuxent NWR (South Tract) to show them the visitor center, and take a bit of a bird walk outside (their first exposure to birding, and they seemed to enjoy).

She is a bit of an animal-lover (which is great), but made negative comments about the various mounts and pelts, etc. Once I explained that they all were natural death specimens, she took it easier.

A little later, we were listing to the cannonade from over at the PG clays facility.

Mind you, I can neither confirm nor deny guiding the conversation a little at this point.

In any case, I explained a little about what was going on, explained that there were people having some games, and asked if they wanted to see it. "Sure!"

Spent long enough to have a small snack, and moved along. No freakouts, and he seemed to have an interest in it. In any case, when we took them home, I thought I was doing a good thing in explaining this to their #$%^&* mother, and she snapped, "I really don't want them anywhere near the guns!"

"The guns"??? Wow. Told her I was just satisfying their curiosity :innocent0.

She has an NRA member next door, and these kids are closer to firearms in my home (all stored when they're around) than they were today!

I did realize, though... Not being allowed to form independent thought as children results in Liberals.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'm game.

End of last year I was studying for an exam and told the people I was with that I had to leave so that I could beat traffic to go to VA to pick up some high capacity magazines. One of the guys started freaking out, saying that it's "completely illegal" what I was doing and that I "should be ashamed of myself", blah blah blah. I tried explaining the legality of the situation and everything, but he wouldn't have any of it.

Not exciting really, but there it is.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    All the time at gun shows I meet people scared of guns. I tell them it's a very rational fear. Humans are wired to be instinctually frightened of loud noises and sudden movements and guns do exactly that. Then, I explain that all the vendors have safety checked the firearms and we open them before handing them to customers. I explain they're just polymer and metal or wood and metal and teach them how to make sure firearms are safe to handle and the four safety rules. Even if they don't buy from us they get a positive experience and are likely to visit again.

Mr H

All the time at gun shows I meet people scared of guns. I tell them it's a very rational fear. Humans are wired to be instinctually frightened of loud noises and sudden movements and guns do exactly that. Then, I explain that all the vendors have safety checked the firearms and we open them before handing them to customers. I explain they're just polymer and metal or wood and metal and teach them how to make sure firearms are safe to handle and the four safety rules. Even if they don't buy from us they get a positive experience and are likely to visit again.

:thumbsup:

This is why I try to 'normalize' these conversations whenever possible, with anyone.

Today, it was framed with safety and how the 'game' worked.

I forgot to mention that they Nerf-dart-type toy crossbows we got them for Christmas are still in the packages, and the kids are none too pleased.

At BassPro today, they were all but drooling over youth bows and arrows, as they're used to shooting those at camp.

:shrug:

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    A friend on mine has 5 kids and while he doesn't dislike guns he always said it was too dangerous for him to have any in the home. Then about a year ago this incedent happened:

His neighbor was elderly and passed away. The heirs hired cut rate contractor who did all their work late at night. Every night they would be working in the townhouse next door and were keeping up his family at 3:00 am. One night they had music blasting in addition to power tools and he tried to reason with them to keep it down. Turns out they were hammered and threatened to kill him. He wisely called the cops but when the cops arrived the guys quieted down and claimed he was lying. The cops shrugged their shoulders and left.

30 seconds later the guys were banging on the walls saying he was really in for it and they were coming over to get him. Having no firearm and very little hope of fighting off 3-4 drunk idiots all younger than him, he barricaded the door and stood at the top of his stairs with a bat. A youth t-ball bat. In that moment he realized that he was powerless if these guys really wanted to harm him and his family, especially since he learned the hard way that police generally investigate murders as opposed to prevent them.

Needless to say this semi-anti is no longer an anti anymore.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My MIL retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer and absolutely hates guns.

Whenever the family is around and we go shooting she stays up in the guest bedroom when we are getting ready to leave and the evil guns are sitting in the living room in cases.

Same thing when we come home and have a cleaning party, she's upstairs the whole time and won't come down until they are all back in the safe.

Mr H

My MIL retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer and absolutely hates guns.

Whenever the family is around and we go shooting she stays up in the guest bedroom when we are getting ready to leave and the evil guns are sitting in the living room in cases.

Same thing when we come home and have a cleaning party, she's upstairs the whole time and won't come down until they are all back in the safe.

Wow... Just wow...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If my kids grandparents ever went against my wishes introducing things I asked them not to, they wouldn't be seeing them again.

Mr H

my weekly peek... my thread, my call...:D

Who the F said I ever knew that their mother was against their being exposed/informed??!!

No one, because this was news to me. I have many issues with her... this was an unknown one until now.

Please go away.

Last edited:

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

When my wife's Mom found out that my wife got an hql she just got quiet for a while then talked about how dangerous guns are. That just made me speed up my acquisition process.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I RSO for the boy scouts. I was working a cub shoot (bb guns) last summer There were a ton of Capitol area packs there. One lady came up to me and said forcefully that she did not want her son shooting or even near the guns. I told her they were bb guns. I also said in no way would anyone be forced to shoot that didn't want to. I asked her to take her son and sit down and wait for the pack to finish. I guess the boy bugged the crap out of her because she sheepishly came up to me and asked if he could shoot. Well he was all smiles as you could imagine. I guess between that and watching the rest of the pack having a great time she took notice. She asked me if she could try. I gave instructions, stood right next to her. Long story short, she was asking where she could get a bb gun.

Now on the other end, I had 2 brothers at a 22 shoot, one was so scared he cried and walked off, the other shot and loved it. I know their mother well. I told her what happened and offered to take the boys to the range and teach them. She got this this horrified look on her face as to say no fvcking way. Every since then, she has treated me differently like I have a disease or something. Sad because the one boy wanted to go. He also wanted to get the rifle shooting badge, but I guess that won't happen. BTW, the boys are 13 and 14.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    my weekly peek... my thread, my call...:D

Who the F said I ever knew that their mother was against their being exposed/informed??!!

No one, because this was news to me.

Please go away.

Nine year old granddaughter. As if you and guns never came up in nine years with your daughter-in-law, or is MDS the only place you post your social calendar. Ya right.. :lol2:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I don't associate with filthy anti's. even the closet antis like we have in some mds members. its not worth it. besides the fuggin smell that comes from them is sickening.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    A family dinner on Kent Island, a group of OC Officers returning from the Harford Co Deputy's Viewing came in the restaurant to eat with their service sidearms. An HoCo in-law was so upset that the officers would bring loaded weapons into a public restaurant, they couldn't finish their meal and had to doggy-bag it home.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    40's-plus year old woman in Edgewater Wawa during morning coffee rush saw a leo with holstered sidearm standing in line near her, clutched her chest and loudly exclaimed in fearful tone that she'd never seen a gun in real life before.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've posted this before but this is a good place to post it again.

My mother has been rabidly anti-gun for decades. She couldn't understand why anybody needed a gun for protection (never mind any other reason) when police were a quick phone call away. Within the past year, criminals have been moving into her rural neighborhood. There have been numerous break-ins and thefts. She had to call the police several times for violent altercations down the street, only to find out it takes local police 30 minutes or more to respond. Now she realizes she's defenseless and cannot rely on police protection. She wants to buy a gun and has learned the hard way she needs a state permit first.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    A family dinner on Kent Island, a group of OC Officers returning from the Harford Co Deputy's Viewing came in the restaurant to eat with their service sidearms. An HoCo in-law was so upset that the officers would bring loaded weapons into a public restaurant, they couldn't finish their meal and had to doggy-bag it home.

HoCo is the Oatmeal of Maryland. Full of all the flakes, nuts, and idiots. I think that's the saying at least.

As I say to my wife whenever she makes me to into art and crap stores..."Let's make a like a tree and get the F&ck out of here!"

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If my kids grandparents ever went against my wishes introducing things I asked them not to, they wouldn't be seeing them again.

If my son withheld my grandchildren from me for trying to teach them gun safety the same as I taught him he better be saving for retirement because he wouldn't see any inheritance but my grandchildren would inherit all my guns after they turned 21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom