• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    So I have some cash eating a hole in my pocket. I'd like a new shotgun and was considering something sub-$400 in either 12 or 20 gauge. I was thinking either a Remington 887, Benelli Nova, Remington 870 Express 3.5", or maybe something used as long as its got screw-in chokes. So far, I like the Nova the best. I have several 12 gauges, a 16, and a 20 (old 870 Wingmaster that has a mod choke). I'm going to use the new gun as a poor weather deer gun, steel shot for waterfowl maybe, and to bust clays informally.

Talk me out of it or help me find a Nova :)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I've had a SuperNova for several years. For the $$ I don't think you can do better. Aftermarket is somewhat limited, and barrels aren't cheap. So make certain you are getting the gun in the configuration you want (or as close to) upfront.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I was only considering the 870 for that reason. The barrels are cheap and I like my 50 year old Wingmaster, but the crap I've seen Remington put out in the last decade makes me sick...

You can thank "Freedom Group" for that.

Bean counters that care more about the bottom line than firearm quality.

Personally, I think the companies were bought and combined so they could be run into the ground.

The problem is gun buyers keep buying the overpriced junk that's coming out of the factories.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I was only considering the 870 for that reason. The barrels are cheap and I like my 50 year old Wingmaster, but the crap I've seen Remington put out in the last decade makes me sick...

Love my 870 for reliability.

Only thing I don't like is that it rusts really easily. Surface rust of course, nothing crazy (on outside of receiver and trigger). But if I shoot it and let it sit for a few days, it will start.

I am very meticulous when it comes to cleaning, but this is a different story. Not sure what they use as a coating on their metals, but I'm not happy with it for that reason. Never had this issue with any other firearm. Have to keep her well lubed.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Love my 870 for reliability.

Only thing I don't like is that it rusts really easily. Surface rust of course, nothing crazy (on outside of receiver and trigger). But if I shoot it and let it sit for a few days, it will start.

I am very meticulous when it comes to cleaning, but this is a different story. Not sure what they use as a coating on their metals, but I'm not happy with it for that reason. Never had this issue with any other firearm. Have to keep her well lubed.

Ive even noticed this in slightly older Remingtons. My 1960's 870 Wingmaster was abused and still looks pretty good. My friends 2000's express and my cousin's early Express Magnum look like hell but at least it works.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I had an old 870 that I sold, got a new one and wish I kept the old one.

My one complaint is that the old one ejected shells like an autoloader, the new one has weaker ejection

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I had a Nova for while, and it is an excellent shotgun. Definitely the best of the three you listed. Only reason I sold it was to fund another purchase. What I will warn you of is that new barrels cost as much as the gun.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I had a Nova for while, and it is an excellent shotgun. Definitely the best of the three you listed. Only reason I sold it was to fund another purchase. What I will warn you of is that new barrels cost as much as the gun.

I've heard that guys buy two guns just to get a smooth and rifled slug barrel.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    The gun is stupid and all mine does is spit fire when you feed it 3.5" Lightfield Slugs. Nothin super about that!

10676154_10154703543465618_3078611277829206537_n.jpg

14370464178_45d53459c4_c.jpg

:innocent0

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I have a Nova that I use for home defense and occasionally as a trap gun when inviting people with me to shoot trap (I have a different barrel for that). It's a solid, dependable gun for either use.

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Won't talk you out of it if you're looking for a pump.
    But I agree that the SBE2 is worth saving for a lil longer for. The sbe is probably the most versatile shotgun out there and can do anything you want, hunt, clays etc. Extremely well made gun.
    If I could only have one shotty it would be the sbe.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    So I picked up a 12 gauge Nova from a local shop for a great price (cheaper than Bass Pro). I think I'm going to like it.

I did have hands on an SBE II and a Vinci. I did like the SBE a lot but can't justify its cost right now...

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Glad you got it. It's a great gun and should last a couple lifetimes...pass it on!
    Wish I had gotten a Nova over my mossy 500. Not a knock on mossy. I love my mossy. But Benellis are sweet.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So I picked up a 12 gauge Nova from a local shop for a great price (cheaper than Bass Pro). I think I'm going to like it.

I did have hands on an SBE II and a Vinci. I did like the SBE a lot but can't justify its cost right now...

Did you get one with the nice fiber front bead sight?

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Those deals on the beretta a300s ARE tempting. I imagine there will be some holiday deals on them too. Hear it's a great gun. Even more so considering the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom