• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I can't figure out at what power the ranging/mil grads are correct for. Im guessing 4x? but can't find that info.

I looked at the SWFA website and it isn't clearly indicated in the specs. But if you look at this pic:

http://swfa.com/images/SS1-4x24_SFP[1].jpg

and zoom in to the bottom left, it says "ALL DIMENSIONS MILLIRADIAN SUBTENSIONS AT 4X.

It would be nice to see some more comments on it's daylight useability for the illumination and how long the battery lasts, but I've only seen one post from someone who was able to get their hands on one:

http://opticstalk.com/new-swfa-ss-14x24_topic40752_post588894.html#588894

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've been using the throwdown on my AK and primary AR

They work incredibly well for that.

I just keep my main dot on a 25 yard zero for the AK, and it works berry well

Being that it's desinged for 5.56 trajectory, it works great on the AR of course, but wow, it shines like a diamond on an AK. That big first plane reticle gives you a great dot for low mag two eye open shots, and once you can intuitively judge distance via the dots you will know whether to aim just high or just low out to 225 yards.

You can also do a 100 yard zero, but it's a little trickier to get your mind around using the dots correctly in that case

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I was originally going to get a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 but there were none that I found on sale Black Friday. I saw SWFA's ad and figured what the hell. So here it is with their SSALT mount. I haven't zeroed it yet but my first impressions are very promising.

Things I like:
    1) three different length power throw levers that thread directly into the power ring.
    2) the glass is clear and bright for not being HD
    3) nice tactile feel and auditable click on the turrets.
    4) illumination knob has "off" positions between the brightness settings like the vortex.
    5) the ranging part of the reticle isn't as much a distraction (to me) as some commented about.
    6) can't argue over the value even at $399 msrp
    7) illumination did seem bright enough (to me) during the daytime. If I do find it not bright enough, no illumination will work just fine. Nice and black when off.

Things I think could be improved:
    1) changing power was hard due to power ring being tight. I changed the throw lever to the longest one and it helped. It did loosen some from me playing with it also.
    2) no means for a zero stop. Would like to see if the washer system from vortex would work on this as a zero stop method.
    3) SWFA includes a manual with zero info for the reticle but only for the diamond ring and center dot aim points. I'll have to contact them to get the info on the subtensions under the diamond.

Well that's my initial impressions... more to come once I zero it. ;):thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20141204_170439.jpg
      20141204_170439.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 147
    • 20141204_171351.jpg
      20141204_171351.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 145
    • 20141204_214131.jpg
      20141204_214131.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics