• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    It's not really a big deal if it's not chrome-lined just 5-10 minutes of extra cleaning. Plug the barrel, pour Windex until it fills the chamber, sit for 5 minutes, swab the bolt face with Windex, pour out the Windex from the barrel, and then do regular cleaning from there.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Why use windex? That crap gets expensive.

Use water. Salts dissolve in water. Use water, flush out the corrosive salts, then use whatever you normally clean with.

I literally hose out my AK-74 and my wife's Tantal after shooting, then clean as normal.

Nary an issue, going on 5 years.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As long as it shoots straight, leave the barrel alone. As Ferret said, hot water is all you need to wash the salts out... then clean as normal.

I'm not sure if the trunnion journals are the same size on a Tantal vs Bulgy but believe they are different--the Tantal also has longer handguards so the position of the gas block hole is different. So 99% positive you can't use a Bulgy barrel without some lathe work at a minimum. But if for some reason you have consistent keyholing I have seen military Tantal barrels available now and again.

Let us know how she shoots!

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The ammonia in it makes me rest a bit easier after all is done. You have your cleaning method, I have mine. I just like the extra security.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The ammonia in it makes me rest a bit easier after all is done.

Why? The primary ingredient in Windex is water. Ammonia is *WAY* down the list. As in .05% of the entire bottle is 28% ammonia solution--DILUTED WITH WATER.

That translates to .014% of the entire bottle is actual ammonia. Fourteen thousandths of one percent.

My ferrets have a higher ammonia concentration in their pee than your windex. Are you suggesting animal urine is ideal for cleaning firearms?

One thing I can't stand is someone telling someone else to throw money away that could be better spent on ammo and trigger time.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    ROB where did you see the tantel barrels?I've been all over the net still like to find chrome lined.

Haven't seen one in a while, on the AK forums a barrel or complete front end will pop up now and again. Or you could get one of these and pay someone to do some lathe work and drill the gas port:
    http://armsofamerica.com/newhammerforgedeastgermanwiegerchromelined545x39barrel10999.aspx

There's a couple of vendors on the AK forum who specialize in reprofiling EG barrels for all kinds of other builds.

But really, don't stress about it. If it shoots straight it ain't broke. My non-chromed CAI Bulgy 74 is very accurate and I shoot only corrosive through it. No worries as long as you don't abuse it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom