• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    I searched for and got no hits on threads regarding tapping the AR rear detent hole to capture the take down pin detent spring.

My question is should the set screw be greased or lubed to prevent a reaction with the aluminum threads to prevent galling or seizing over time and thuis stripping the threads if the spring ever need to be removed?

What grease should be used? would BP nipple or breechplug grease work? PTFE pipe thread sealant?

In short, the procedure seems to be:
    Tap the rear detent hole to a depth of about 1/8th inch (4x40 tap)
    (some lowers come pretapped)
    Cut about 1/8 in off the spring and insert with detent ball into rear deten hole
    Place a 4x40 x 1/8 inch carbon steel allen head set screw (I guess SS would be OK too) over the spring to capture the spring (using a .050 allen wrench)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Molybdenum disulphide. Its in CV joint grease and makes it very dark gray. Good for things that reciprocate back and forth very slightly (like CV balls) but don't really spin (like wheel bearings.) But any grease will work on the screw.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Molybdenum disulphide. Its in CV joint grease and makes it very dark gray. Good for things that reciprocate back and forth very slightly (like CV balls) but don't really spin (like wheel bearings.) But any grease will work on the screw.

Got it!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom